Security news

tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi,

Looking to increase my overall awareness of whats going in in the InfoSec world.

I subscribe to a few sites and CPE news from ISC2 but wondering what others may use. You know the sort of daily drops into your inbox type thing of maybe light reading?

Cheers.

AAA

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're looking for email, check out the CyberWire. they send a daily digest of security news and updates.
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can use the security news aggregator here:

https://www.morningstarsecurity.com/news

Cheers,
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I haven't found a better method than setting up an RSS reader (I use feedly) and just posting links to sites I visit RSS feeds. Some of the useful ones I've found are Threat Post and Packetstorm. Pretty much any site that I find myself following links to regularly will have some way of subscribing to their feeds.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A lot of great info gets posted to Twitter. Create an account and start following the people/news sources you admire in the profession, people like Troy Hunt, Brian Krebs, Bruce Schneier, Lesley Carhart, etc. All of the online news sources have Twitter feeds. I just log into my Twitter account and check the feeds and get the most current security happenings. The usually come with links to full articles.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Twitter does have tons of good stuff but you have to filter through all the other chatter as well. Some of the "twitter famous" security people seem to chat all day on twitter.
  • tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Twitter does have tons of good stuff but you have to filter through all the other chatter as well. Some of the "twitter famous" security people seem to chat all day on twitter.

That's true. I had to unfollow Steve Wozniak because he kept posting about how he was at this or that restaurant or how the dessert was or whatever. I was just hoping for some good tech wisdom from the master.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tedjames wrote: »
    A lot of great info gets posted to Twitter. Create an account and start following the people/news sources you admire in the profession, people like Troy Hunt, Brian Krebs, Bruce Schneier, Lesley Carhart, etc. All of the online news sources have Twitter feeds. I just log into my Twitter account and check the feeds and get the most current security happenings. The usually come with links to full articles.

This * 1000000

Its just about the only reason I use twitter. I follow about 100 or so security folks, add to it often. If you need help compiling a list, let me know.
  • Jeff_PetersJeff_Peters Admin Posts: 14 Admin
    edited December 2018
    You can apply for an Infragard membership. They offer a nice roundup of cybercrime news to your inbox daily. Plus their Flash alerts to members have some decent info on occasion. I do like Cyberwire, but sometimes I feel it's too much news. I think they had to redesign their newsletter format recently because with the huge amount of content/links each day it was getting cut off in gmail. 

I like Infrgards top 5-10 stories. Much easier to digest IMO and more breach focused.
    Product Marketing Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do