Please tell me if this build is good for labs ? I'm about to buy the processor.

bindizbindiz Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone.
I purchased
ddr4 16gb 2400mhz
500gb ssd
rx 570 4gb

and now I can't decide if i should go with.
2600(with cooler) 160$, 6 cores 12 threads
2600x (with cooler) 190$, 6 cores 12 threads
2700(with cooler) 260$, 8 cores 16 threads
1800x(no cooler) 200$, 8 cores 16 threads (i have to buy another cooler so price comes to 230$ )

I'm mainly building this computer for labs, and I won't do much else with it besides occasional gaming.
However, I do want to run the labs as comfortable as possible while saving as much money as possible - really on a tight budget.

I'm thinking the 2600 or 2600x are my best bets, but I would like to hear from you if these will be enough for labs.

Comments

• ArkrainArkrain Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    AMD processor do not permit Nested Virtualisation
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    VM's love cores so the more cores, the better. 2700 or 1800x is the way to go. But as stated if you need Nested Virtualization then you need to get an 6th generation Intel CPU or above (i5 6600 or better for good performance)

If you are on a budget, dont go for Intel.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• bindizbindiz Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do i need nested virtualization for labs? Can’t i just create 10 separate hosts and link them all with an amd processor.

I prefer and to intel and it’s cheaper.

I would really appreciate if someone can confirm whether i can make full use of labs when it comes to ryzen ? If nested virtualization is not a requirement at all, i would be more than happy going with ryzen. I like the 8 cores. for 250$, rather than 350ish for 6 cores.
  • ArkrainArkrain Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think that is only necesary if you try to labs Hyper-V clusters or SDD (70-745).

I use an old AMD processor in my lab and use some Hands-On Labs for check the things that can't mount in the Lab
    Arkrain wrote: »
    I think that is only necesary if you try to labs Hyper-V clusters or SDD (70-745).

I use an old AMD processor in my lab and use some Hands-On Labs for check the things that can't mount in the Lab
    Can you please explain more?
    I'm very new to this and will be studying. I'm getting the feeling that will ryzen not all features will be available for the lab or am i wrong ?

Is it possible to set up a domain controller, servers, active directory and access/update user policies with vmware and ryzen ?
    I know nesting is part of the test, but is nesting available on ryzen with wmare ? i know it's not on windows hypervisor.
    bindiz wrote: »
    Do i need nested virtualization for labs? Can’t i just create 10 separate hosts and link them all with an amd processor.

I prefer and to intel and it’s cheaper.

I would really appreciate if someone can confirm whether i can make full use of labs when it comes to ryzen ? If nested virtualization is not a requirement at all, i would be more than happy going with ryzen. I like the 8 cores. for 250$, rather than 350ish for 6 cores.

Nope, all 3 exams I studied for didn't need nested virtualization. Its a small subject you can easily read about, you dont need to lab it. As its an VM running within an VM enabled by a simple Powershell cmdlet.

I did all of my labs and currently for my 70-744 on my old AMD 8250 CPU with 16gb of RAM. Never had a problem with performance. VM's will fly in your setup when using Ryzen.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

Nope, all 3 exams I studied for didn't need nested virtualization. Its a small subject you can easily read about, you dont need to lab it. As its an VM running within an VM enabled by a simple Powershell cmdlet.

I did all of my labs and currently for my 70-744 on my old AMD 8250 CPU with 16gb of RAM. Never had a problem with performance. VM's will fly in your setup when using Ryzen.
    In other words, i can set up everything else with vmware and ryzen , make a live environment of windows server with users, domain controllers, ad and all the whistles and bells ?

I been up researching this the whole night trying to figure it out, I don't want to spend 200$ + on a processor just to find down the road i should have gotten another one.

I know nested vm is that, but from reading some forums it seems like it's a big deal for this exam, which was kind of making me think to purchase intel processor(which i really don't want).
    bindiz wrote: »
    In other words, i can set up everything else with vmware and ryzen , make a live environment of windows server with users, domain controllers, ad and all the whistles and bells ?

I been up researching this the whole night trying to figure it out, I don't want to spend 200$ + on a processor just to find down the road i should have gotten another one.

I know nested vm is that, but from reading some forums it seems like it's a big deal for this exam, which was kind of making me think to purchase intel processor(which i really don't want).

Yes it will be fine and no nested vm is not a big thing. Not for 70-740, 70-741. 70-742 and 70-744 anyway.
    Certifications: