would you take this opportunity

zefszefs Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am anticipating a possible offer from role that is a) a 6 - month temp contact role b) Pays double hourly.

Now my current role is full time with bunch of benefits etc. However its on 1- 1.15 hrs commute on way. This new role, still 1 hrs commute but will be on a metro trains (not subway) which are way more comfortable than sit through stop n go traffic.

How ever ill be unemployed most likely after 6 months, but will have enough cash saved up to sit home and eat for another 5 months

Both roles are similiar in terms of jobs activities. But this new role is more like IT Infra admin(doing everything related to IT) rather than what i do now Sys admin working mostly on VMware and that sorts of things.

has anyone ever had to make a decision like that? What would you do or have done?

Comments

• clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    it nice that you think the contract will last 6 months. but some do last longer, some don't.

what you going to do if it last 3 month, 1 month, a week?

can you just quit your current job and start looking for contracting?
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A lot of the specifics about contracting vary highly on where you are. The laws and terms in the US aren't the same as the ones in Europe.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @OP - if you are in the US. Don't forget to compare any tax implications and benefits if the contract is 1099 vs W2. Personally, I'm a risk taker and I like broader responsibilities so I personally would accept that type of opportunity.
  • zefszefs Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    clarson wrote: »
    it nice that you think the contract will last 6 months. but some do last longer, some don't.

what you going to do if it last 3 month, 1 month, a week?

can you just quit your current job and start looking for contracting?

ofcourse not. but i doubt someone will just hire a contractor to fire them in a month no?:
    paul78 wrote: »
    @OP - if you are in the US. Don't forget to compare any tax implications and benefits if the contract is 1099 vs W2. Personally, I'm a risk taker and I like broader responsibilities so I personally would accept that type of opportunity.
    Im in CANADA. not sure if that is applicable to me
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I have seen it happen or a person just quits.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am the exact opposite of paul78. My risk appetite and tolerance are minuscule, so I would never consider a contract no matter how attractive. It all comes down to your own risk vs. reward analysis.
    spoke to recruiter again, she said the role is Guaranteed to run minimum of 6 months. I guess as long as it is said in the contract, should i be good than? as long as contract is atleast 6 months, ill save enough to last 5 months without any job there after.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not for a contract role that a recruiter says is "guaranteed" for minimum of 6 months. Easy pass for me. I've had those offered to me and took one only because I was desperate and had no other job. I'll never take one of those again if I am currently a FT employee with full benefits. You'll end up paid less because you will need to deal with health insurance, no 401k, and likely no PTO as well.
    Not for a contract role that a recruiter says is "guaranteed" for minimum of 6 months. Easy pass for me. I've had those offered to me and took one only because I was desperate and had no other job. I'll never take one of those again if I am currently a FT employee with full benefits. You'll end up paid less because you will need to deal with health insurance, no 401k, and likely no PTO as well.
    health Insurance, PTO and other stuff i am easily making extra - 3 grands per month. On the contract role. AFTER TAXES
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Keep in mind you also don't get holiday pay. I could understand if maybe the commute was 10 minutes from your house, but still being an hour away isn't a big selling point.

I'd still suggest that you pass on this offer and keep looking. You will find a better offer.