Passed CISM - did not prepare.

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
I just passed the CISM exam, and I didn't prepare at all. First I don't really have time to do it, but I was motivated by some forum posts recently and I thought I'd give it a go!

Went with the mindset of: Think like a manager, risk assessment is good, don't overthink questions

I don't know what my score is yet but I passed. The questions weren't really strange, just real world scenarios, play on words, and just basic high level stuff that I've seen over and over in my day to day jobs
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats! I think I am officially out of excuses to keep delaying it.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good stuff!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    cyberguypr wrote: »

you will pass & find it easy for sure. if you want to be sure you can buy the Q&As they're about 200$ish

I haven't received any emails from ISACA, and in MyISACA login page it's still shows nothing under CISM certification. Is this normal? I need some proof that I passed apart from the screen that I saw after the exam (should've printed it!)

UnixGuy wrote: »
    I haven't received any emails from ISACA, and in MyISACA login page it's still shows nothing under CISM certification. Is this normal? I need some proof that I passed apart from the screen that I saw after the exam (should've printed it!)

I've seen this happen to other people that claimed to have passed without preparation then they find out later that they failed. Yep, pretty normal icon_lol.gif

I kid, I kid. This happened to me as well if my memory serves me correctly.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    E Double U wrote: »
    I've seen this happen to other people that claimed to have passed without preparation then they find out later that they failed. Yep, pretty normal icon_lol.gif

I kid, I kid. This happened to me as well if my memory serves me correctly.

HAHA my eyes poked holes in the screen to make sure I says I passed. Now I have no evidence of it

Now I have no evidence of it

Because it didn't happen. It is not what you know, but what you can prove. icon_cool.gif
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

• averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□

It took eight days to receive any notification from ISACA that I passed. The duration may be different for other people but you will just have to wait until they send you an email.

Also, congratulations!
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • ITHokieITHokie Member Posts: 158 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just passed the CISM exam, and I didn't prepare at all.

Heh, not surprising. Did you find it challenging at all?
    ITHokie wrote: »
    Heh, not surprising. Did you find it challenging at all?

No I didn't find it challenging, but it was a long exam. 150 questions, and I had to reach each question, read all the answers, think of a real world situation applicable to it...try to reason and see what the best answer might be. Mind you some questions were straightforward, but I did have to think thoroughly for the majority of the question. I think part of it is because I didn't know what to expect so I was a bit cautious. I took 3 bathroom breaks and eat some biscuits that were in the table just to distract myself

• Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats UnixGuy
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Dude. I've been doing the online database for nearly an entire year now. My scores are usually in the high 80s. I've just been too busy to get to taking the exam.

Guess it's time for me to get off my ass.
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    PJ go for the kill!!!! Take the CISM exam.. you will ace it.

UnixGuy: Congrat.. I'm taking CISM on 22nd December.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
    Got my score: 559

Also, not impressed with ISACA. Not impressed with the pay 50$ to claim your certification. I already paid for the (not cheap) exam fees, what's with the post exam fees? Treat me like an adult and make all the fees clear from the beginning, upfront.

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats, but that's bizarre to charge you for your results, talk about a cash grab.
  • wadhwajwadhwaj Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anybody got a copy of the latest review manual for cism
  • ansionnachclisteansionnachcliste Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome! Congrats!

I'm reading the AIO CISM guide and it seems fairly straightforward.

I read that they changed the exam timeframes throughout the year. Is that right?

Does PearsonVue offer it? (I haven't gone through the steps on the ISACA website to sign up yet).
  • SaltyHashesSaltyHashes Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the unexpected pass with taking the exam blind. Sometimes just going in and doing it with zero prep is the best approach.

I'm not a fan of hearing about the post-exam fees just to claim the certificate.

I hope that your newest credential will give you immediate mileage.
    PJ go for the kill!!!! Take the CISM exam.. you will ace it.
    Well I took your advice and passed it today. icon_lol.gif

I was seriously concerned I would screw it up since I didn't get any sleep last night, but it worked out. I just got real hopped up on sugar and caffeine before I went in. icon_bounce.gif
    icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif Congrats on the pass!!! You did it.
    Congrats PJ!

I think we need to book the exam for Cyberguypr and schedule it for him as a Christmas present

• spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.

i did the same thing for CISM, CISA and CRISC.

Wouldnt dare do it for Cisco lol.
    I agree, he could take the CISM and CRISC exam at the same day and be done with it.:D icon_mad.gifmas:
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
  • H-bombH-bomb Member Posts: 129 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IMO all you need to do is practice the QAE database questions for any ISACA exam.
  • kalijenniferkalijennifer Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
     Danielm7 said:
    Congrats, but that's bizarre to charge you for your results, talk about a cash grab.
    It's a $50 application fee.  You'll get your results back regardless.  With ISACA you have to take the exam before you submit your application, which includes the experience verification stuff.  At that time you send in your $50 and as long as you meet all the requirements for certification you'll eventually get verified.

It's possible to pass the exam without the requisite experience and then wait up to five years to get the experience to qualify for certification.  Then submit your application fee with your application.  That way you don't waste $50.

Overall it was still cheaper than my CEH/CHFI exams.  :|

Oh yeah, got my score back.  Made a 621, which is way better than I was expecting.  I think my next cert will be CISA since I have invested all this time getting brainwashed by ISACA.