How much would YOU ask for?

Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
[FONT=&amp]Found this part time position for a small business. (Before you start asking WHY get a part time job, and start spouting off on getting certifications) I am working on certs, yet I also need to pay off debt. Hell, I'm days away from accepting a job from teaching Chinese kids English via Skype or being that guy in Best Buy trying to sell you an Oculus Rift. Anyways It's a WIN/WIN, as I would be getting experience in areas(Resume worthy) other than what I am familiar in.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I have three years experience in desktop support, with a bachelor degree in liberal arts, with a A+, finishing up studying for the Network by the end of the month.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]In the initial e-mail, they stated they will work around ones 9-5.Sometimes work can be done remotely if not after ones main job. 30 - 65 hours a month, may trail off towards the end.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Stated initially one will need to setup and organize " our ad-hoc IT Department. " Not sure what the expectations are with that phrase.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Some of the things, they need such as "Server & VPN Access setup and maintenance" , "Develop an IT Plan", or "Prepare a Plan for new office opening and IT management of all offices."
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I'm not familiar with at all. Just anxious reading those expectations. How much would you ask for? They want to know one's answer in the second e-mail, to see if the business can even afford you. I don't expect any benefits. The place is about an hour away.

[/FONT]
  • Create a digital listing of all electronic equipment own and loan to employees at all locations
  • Laptops, Desktops, Tablets, and Printers setup, repair and Maintenance.
  • G Suite for Business Setup and Administration
  • Server & VPN Access setup and maintenance
  • Software Programs Access & Configuration
    • Office 365
    • Hubstaff & Asana
    • Training Resources: Teachucomp, Maximum Impact, Audio Tech, & Etc.
    • Survey Monkey & Wufoo
    • Management of most of our cloud base programs: Lucid Chart, Insightly, Hubstaff, RingCentral, & Mailchimp
  • Website Maintenance and Access
  • 1and1 email and domain name management
  • Develop an IT Plan
    • Policies and Procedures
    • Emergency Plan
    • Equipment Maintenance and Repair
    • Budget
    • Equipment Purchase and destruction
    • Communication Tool Management
  • Onsite and Off-site data backup
  • Prepare a Plan for new office opening and IT management of all offices
  • Create and develop training video for computer software programs, etc.
  • Perform other tasks and duties as assigned.

[FONT=&amp]Thanks for any and all input.[/FONT]

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    $30 an hour
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I perceive a business that recognizes they need to hire an IT guy/girl, but is too cheap to budget it and so the owner is attempting to compromise with this "part time" position, though it sounds like a full time workload--possibly for more than one person even. I predict the owner is going to want like $12/hour and I get the impression that the owner is a fool to be so nearsighted. Multi-offices. . . this is an unrealistic job posting. I recommend avoiding this.

There are a lot of business entrepreneur types like this that lowball web developers/graphic designers/photographers. They ask for free/nearly free work in exchange for "exposure." It's a personality thing I think. I'm getting that vibe from this job description. Now if you find out that the salary is $30, I will gladly admit how stupid my opinion is on this job posting. I think I'm correct though.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm with yoba222 on this. But the job description is kinda interesting. It really depends on what this company does and where their revenue and funding is coming from. What does 30-65 hours a month even mean if it trails off at the end? How many hours total and months do they expect?

Also - I would tell them that you travel time and expenses is billable.
  • Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    I perceive a business that recognizes they need to hire an IT guy/girl, but is too cheap to budget it and so the owner is attempting to compromise with this "part time" position, though it sounds like a full time workload--possibly for more than one person even. I predict the owner is going to want like $12/hour and I get the impression that the owner is a fool to be so nearsighted. Multi-offices. . . this is an unrealistic job posting. I recommend avoiding this.

There are a lot of business entrepreneur types like this that lowball web developers/graphic designers/photographers. They ask for free/nearly free work in exchange for "exposure." It's a personality thing I think. I'm getting that vibe from this job description. Now if you find out that the salary is $30, I will gladly admit how stupid my opinion is on this job posting. I think I'm correct though.

Well, I spoke to someone and $30 might be what they are looking for, cause it seems the company may be low balling it for money reasons

[FONT=&quot]Again, not to slight you, but somebody seasoned in this role should have knocked you out of contention at a far earlier stage. There's some reason they're lowering the bar on who they're interviewing. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]They're not asking for a desktop tech or even a sysadmin, they're straight up trying to ask for a cheap IT manager/director. For a relatively green IT manager in my area, that probably ranges $35-50/hr for a FT employee.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Also if they have no IT dept, chances are you are going to be spending a lot more than those amount of hours. All of those systems you are implementing will also need changes made to them constantly. I would quote the work at $150-$175/hr for our market, but I know how to set 80% of that stuff up already on a large scale.[/FONT]
  • Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Daneil3144 wrote: »
    [FONT=&amp]Found this part time position for a small business. [/FONT]
    • Develop an IT Plan
      • Policies and Procedures
      • Emergency Plan
      • Equipment Maintenance and Repair
      • Budget
      • Equipment Purchase and destruction
      • Communication Tool Management
    • Onsite and Off-site data backup
    • Prepare a Plan for new office opening and IT management of all offices
    • Create and develop training video for computer software programs, etc.
    • Perform other tasks and duties as assigned.
    [FONT=&amp]Thanks for any and all input.[/FONT]

If you think they will pay $30 per hour, ask for $40 and let them counter:
    1. Because these are management tasks.
    2. Keep you "retained" during low periods.
    3. Their cost saves should be realized by not paying 40+ hours a week nor providing comprehensive benefits.
    Just my 2¢...
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So, is this an MSP? If so, the one I worked for had a commission based pay setup. They would charge like $125hr to the client, then give me $25hr of that billable hour...Plus they gave a me a base pay of $10-15hr...on top of that, since I was the salesman too, quoting software & hardware then I would make a 20% commission on the sales I would make. So, you could approach that to them...that way you can say you are willing to get paid based on performance. Because as you said, some of this might be stretching it on what they want you to do. This is just a thought, not saying you have to even go this route.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My only concern is that this doesn't read like a part-time position, and it blends a few things. Clearly looking at a one-person IT shop.

One of the weird items is the website maintenance and access. This may require learning some coding, or hopefully this isn't much at all. the other is the Server maintenance, which could be a doozy, or something as simple as an AD server and a single file server. I'd ask how many employees this company has and how many servers. This can give you an idea of the potential workload.

One positive? This is a nicer list of things that I would have expected for a non-IT, new business to lay out. Heck, you even have a little list of software, which is more than most provide. And no indications that they're on old junk like Windows XP still.

Personally, if you can do it and not go insane, this could afford lots of opportunity to learn new things.

Nice thing is, you can always walk away if you get into it a bit and it's not what you thought or isn't worth your time for the money.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • alon35alon35 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a really good friend who owns a small business and I have done a lot of consulting work for him on the side. The fact of the matter is that this sounds a lot like his job adds when he started and it most likely is a very small business that really cannot afford a full-time employee. The pros of this could be that you could get some awesome resume building experience and you would get to touch subjects and configure systems you wouldn't usually get close to.

For what a position like this is worth? That entirely depends on where you are located and what other benefits they're offering. If it is as small of a company as I'm imagining you will not get any other benefits and it will most likely be just a straight hourly job. In this case ask yourself what your time is worth. For me personally I have to get paid a lot of money to do this in my free time as I now make a decent salary and work in IT all day every day already. But for someone like you I would say it's fair to start a little higher than you normally would and negotiate down.

For hourly contractor type work I like to think of how much money I normally make and times that by 1.5... So if I would normally command 50K a year or $24 an hour. Then for hourly work with no benefits I'd ask for roughly $35 an hour.
    I simply replied

"My only concern is that this doesn't read like a part-time position. Also, it seems that you may not be looking for a Support Technician, but an affordable IT Manager/Director. "

Never heard anything back...
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Daneil3144 wrote: »
    Well, I spoke to someone and $30 might be what they are looking for, cause it seems the company may be low balling it for money reasons

[FONT=&amp]Again, not to slight you, but somebody seasoned in this role should have knocked you out of contention at a far earlier stage. There's some reason they're lowering the bar on who they're interviewing. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]They're not asking for a desktop tech or even a sysadmin, they're straight up trying to ask for a cheap IT manager/director. For a relatively green IT manager in my area, that probably ranges $35-50/hr for a FT employee.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Also if they have no IT dept, chances are you are going to be spending a lot more than those amount of hours. All of those systems you are implementing will also need changes made to them constantly. I would quote the work at $150-$175/hr for our market, but I know how to set 80% of that stuff up already on a large scale.[/FONT]

I'm a little confused. Is this person estimating $30 and hour an employee there?
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    yoba222 wrote: »
    I'm a little confused. Is this person estimating $30 and hour an employee there?

$30 an hour for the job posted.
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you get an offer letter or are you just considering applying?

30 - 65 hours in a month is barely even part-time work. This looks like a scam.
    Nah, I applied and got offered an interview. Yet, I sent him that snarky reply, as seen above and never heard anything back.

Not a scam, just a company trying to get the most for the least.