Best training / cert in prep for OSCP

th3bl00dyn1n3th3bl00dyn1n3 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have an end goal in that I'm looking to study for and pass the OSCP.

A few blogs and guides have suggested cracking on with 'Hack the Box' first, and after signing up for the VIP package and watching a load of IPSSEC videos, I've realised I'm a fair way off being in a position to start with the OSCP training. Whilst I've been working in the world of cyber security for a few years now, the intricacies of a buffer overflow or XXS escape me.

I'm looking into online training and certifications that should provide the required background learning needed before OSCP, and I'm currently leaning towards eLearnSecurity's pen tester courses.

Would others agree that maybe their PTS / PTP courses are a good place to start? Or can anyone suggest alternative courses offering a decent level of background training which would act as a good stepping stone to OSCP.

Also, is the junior PTS course really required if your thinking of doing the advanced PTP course?

Really appreciate any opinions put forward. Many thanks.

Comments

• rontolrontol Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think we almost on the same boat...

I've spent some time studying what others do before OSCP.....it's all varies depending on our current skill and experience

Some go through hardcore study everyday 3-5 hours (after work or early morning)...went all those free routes (hackthebox....vulhub etc)
    Some go through ejpt --> eccpt --> oscp
    Some go multiple grinding by doing direct oscp then failing 2-5 times

There are definitely some specific aspect that we may lack...i've seen some people take SecurityTube Linux Assembly Expert (SLAE) just to improve on their linux side.... icon_study.gif
  • kurtkobaindtkurtkobaindt Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I have an end goal in that I'm looking to study for and pass the OSCP.

A few blogs and guides have suggested cracking on with 'Hack the Box' first, and after signing up for the VIP package and watching a load of IPSSEC videos, I've realised I'm a fair way off being in a position to start with the OSCP training. Whilst I've been working in the world of cyber security for a few years now, the intricacies of a buffer overflow or XXS escape me.

I'm looking into online training and certifications that should provide the required background learning needed before OSCP, and I'm currently leaning towards eLearnSecurity's pen tester courses.

Would others agree that maybe their PTS / PTP courses are a good place to start? Or can anyone suggest alternative courses offering a decent level of background training which would act as a good stepping stone to OSCP.

Also, is the junior PTS course really required if your thinking of doing the advanced PTP course?

Really appreciate any opinions put forward. Many thanks.

better you attend PTS first for intro and refreshment. I'd started PTS last month and it seems easy to understand. I'd ever taken instructor led training but I don't understand much just like others participants although those instructors had PHD degree in information security/computer science. Even my friend, who hold CEH certification and wanted to refresh his skill in pentest, didn't understand either. :D