GCIH or GSEC? Which one is better?

Long DarkLong Dark Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got the Security+ currently, which certificate should i get?
GCIH or GSEC?
Many thanks.

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Without knowing about your current role or future goals, I will say GCIH.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This isn't easy to answer without knowing what you do today, what you know today, what you want to do, and what you want/need to learn yet.

I'll default to two things, though.

First, I'd equate GSEC to be about a half step up above Security+, and that mainly due to the training you get and commitment (cost) to get it. I have not taken the GSEC course/exam pairing, and my Sec+ is from 2008, I think. But if you feel like you need to learn a lot more in terms of foundational infosec skills, GSEC isn't a bad way to go. From here, CISSP should be your next goal and is a good step up above those two.

Second, I'd always suggest people aim high. Can you understand the GSEC topics in the syllabus/body of knowlegde today? If so, the GSEC may not be as fun as you'd think it was. In that case, I'd aim high, challenge yourself, and go to GCIH. I consider this especially true if your current training allocation may not be there next year, for whatever reason.

On the other hand, just by asking this question, I think maybe you'd be at the GSEC level... :)

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    As stated above, it depends. I personally never saw value in GSEC becuase my skills and knowledge were above that level when I discovered SANS. If you lack the foundational knowledge that SEC401/GSEC provide, then that may be a better starting point that 504/GCIH.