Will this Part Time NOC position benefit me?

Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
Looking at this position that is part time on the weekends, just to supplement my income and fluff my resume.
I already work full IT in a desktop support role, full time.

Would this NOC position and skills transition on my resume to beneficial skills down the road, when I start job hunting?
It is a NOC at lighting/monitoring company that does the lightening for construction cranes, telecommunication towers, cell phone towers.
Saturday and Sunday only about $13 an hour...

Comments

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well, if you dont have any wife or kids.. why not.. if you need the extra income and if it is not busy. It would give you the time to study other certs.

Also, depending on where you are, check for the tax impact. In Canada, this extra income could cost you make you change tax level and cost you more than what it is bringing in.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All experience helps but there is a lot more to it then that.

Are you interested in the type of work you will be doing for the NOC position?
    Do you have that much time to invest for at least 6 months?

I don't think it would look good to take the position for a very short time. If you don't need the money and have other things you would rather do with your time you might regret taking the job.

If you have time to kill and the money could help you out then I say go for it. The first job is the hardest because people want experience. If you can gain experience with two jobs and not burn out it go for it.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It will help if you're after a NOC job in the future. I've worked two jobs before and found it hard to find weekend IT jobs because most businesses were closed on a weekend.

Sounds like it may be a good fit for you.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I personally wouldn't take on a 2nd weekend PT job, especially in a NOC if you are currently doing desktop work. The biggest issue would be burnout as you'd have few days off and will quickly wish you had more time enjoying life. What I would do in your situation is to focus more on your full time job and learn more skills that will help you shine. Learn how to use Powershell to help you with your current daily tasks to improve your ability to knock out easy tasks in either an automated, or quick manner. See what tools are out there that will make your life and your companies efficiency. Document those skills in your resume and then move up into an even bigger role with your current company, or another company that sees you with those skills.

I've worked in NOCs in the past and I wouldn't consider them "better" than a desktop role to be honest, especially if you are just monitoring and then calling whomever the on call is to fix things. Unless you have duties that go beyond the monitoring (and at that pay, I doubt it would be much) you won't really pick up new skills.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    NOC will get you exposed to a lot of things. Id say take it and get that experience.
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would take a part-time NOC position just for the reason above that is if you're at point you aren't learning much in your current job.

Also what state do you live in where that position is only $13/hr ? It should be more like 20 - 25 at least in CA.
  • Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    draught wrote: »
    Also what state do you live in where that position is only $13/hr ? It should be more like 20 - 25 at least in CA.

It's probably cause MeanDrunk hit the nail on the head in terms of responsibility, is why the pay it is, what it is.

They told me, in an 8 hour time span - I would only get 5 calls...maybe.

"So feel free to bring something to read" is what I was told. I would be the only guy on shift.
    I've worked in NOCs in the past and I wouldn't consider them "better" than a desktop role to be honest, especially if you are just monitoring and then calling whomever the on call is to fix things. Unless you have duties that go beyond the monitoring (and at that pay, I doubt it would be much) you won't really pick up new skills.
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also, depending on where you are, check for the tax impact. In Canada, this extra income could cost you make you change tax level and cost you more than what it is bringing in.

That's not how it works, at all.

There's tax brackets, but they only apply to any income earned AFTER hitting the higher bracket.

For an example, let's say you pay 20% tax on the first $30,000 of income. Anything above $30,000 is taxed at 30%. If you make $40,000, your tax will be:

* 20% on $30,000
    * 30% on $10,000

This averages out to $6,000 paid on the first 30k and $3,000 paid on the next $10k, or 22.5% average rate.

At this point you have two tax rates:

Average rate of 22.5% (how much tax you're paying from your gross income), and marginal rate of 30% (how much tax you will pay on every new dollar you make).