Has anyone passed using Packet Tracer only?

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys I have been looking at some CCENT materials I currently have CBT nuggets and Todd Lammle CENT. I cannot afford a home lab currently. Can you pass this course using Packet tracer only?

Anyone done this?
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can definitely pass the exam with packet tracer. I did not do it myself but after finishing my study I can say it is definitely doable.

All you need to do is follow labs as normal. If a command does not appear that you are reading about the it probably is not supported by packet tracer. Just do a quick internet search to confirm your typing it correctly and move on.

Since GNS3 is free and runs the actual IOS I would suggest your get it installed and working so you can see all of the commands that are available. Real equipment servers a purpose in learning and I recommend it to anyone that can afford it. Just don't let the lack of equipment hold you back.

Good Luck!
  • PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I passed with packet tracer. I actually had a physical switch as well but I probably used it once. A homelab is completely unnecessary to pass the exam.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'd like to say I did but I also had access to production routers and switches and got to work on those which helped a lot.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a plan of attack please critique or suggest a better study method:

1) Watch CBT nuggets videos take notes
    2) Read CCENT book Todd Lammel take notes
    3) Do practical and labs in Todd Lammel

That's my step by step approach, I am a networking noob but enjoy learning about this subject.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Hi guys I have been looking at some CCENT materials I currently have CBT nuggets and Todd Lammle CENT. I cannot afford a home lab currently. Can you pass this course using Packet tracer only?

Anyone done this?

Packet Tracer is your best option, and probably better than trying to source used equipment. I can say that you will probably not pass without some type of lab, (real, packet tracer or GNS3) since you are not developing any memory of typing commands. Another plus for Packet tracer is that real equipment may be prone to failures and GNS3 you will need valid Cisco ROMs to simulate various equipment.

Without labs I missed the passing mark by 60 points from watching Chris Bryant's course on Udemy. I ate up too much time on two critical tasks that in hindsight are child's play. Good luck!
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□

That's my step by step approach, I am a networking noob but enjoy learning about this subject.

Its a good approach. Whatever you do don't get discouraged or caught up trying to memorize everything the first time through. Most of the memorization will come with repetition. A lot of people give up after the first couple chapters without realizing it gets easier as you start to recall the basic syntax and commands from memory.

I suggest you use packet tracer to follow along with CBT Nuggets if you have two monitors.
    Also when I was studying I loved the simulation mode that lets you watch the packets. Use it for troubleshooting if something is not working and you can see visually where it fails. This is my favorite feature in packet tracer and it is often overlooked.
  • PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□

The only materials I used were Lammle's books, packet tracer & boson practice exams and I passed comfortably. I did also do a bit of googling for things not covered in the books but it was nothing substantial.

For me though, the boson exams.. Specifically the simulators in the exams were REALLY helpful. I'm not sure I'd have passed as comfortably without these. Can't recommend them highly enough.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can definitely pass with just packet tracer. I found it more fun to practice on physical equipment though. Just depends on what you enjoy
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    I'd like to say I did but I also had access to production routers and switches and got to work on those which helped a lot.

Same here. The networking team gave me read, not write, access to SecureCRT and I was able to run commands and view them. Great experience as I just passed my CCENT yesterday.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    coreyb80 wrote: »
    Same here. The networking team gave me read, not write, access to SecureCRT and I was able to run commands and view them. Great experience as I just passed my CCENT yesterday.

LOL well I am the manager so they gave me full access. But being a manager I would never make any random changes, only practiced on unused ports and, only when there were normal implementations, would I execute them under supervision.

I should have added earlier, Packet Tracer is a great learning tool without a doubt. I played around with it a lot and made some pretty complex topologies with it and got them working correctly. Even the CCNP IT supervisor was impressed with my designs.
  • cabowabocabowabo Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed the icnd1 a few years ago just on packet tracer but then bought physical gear for icnd2.
    B.S. Network Admin | CCNP-Wireless
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2018:
    CCNP-W [X] ACSA [X] JNCIA [X]
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2019: CCIE-W [ ? ] CWAP [ ? ]
  • detroitwillfalldetroitwillfall Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi guys I have been looking at some CCENT materials I currently have CBT nuggets and Todd Lammle CENT. I cannot afford a home lab currently. Can you pass this course using Packet tracer only? Anyone done this?
    I myself am in the same boat. I have packet tracer, CBT Nuggets INCD1&2, downloaded GNS3, and will be getting the Laramie book... Hoping this will be sufficient?
  • cabowabocabowabo Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you should be good. Jeremy Cioara from CBT is an awesome instructor and covers everything. GNS3 will definitely be sufficient. Maybe buy the OCGs but I think you have a solid foundation.
    B.S. Network Admin | CCNP-Wireless
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2018:
    CCNP-W [X] ACSA [X] JNCIA [X]
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2019: CCIE-W [ ? ] CWAP [ ? ]
  • UsualSuspect7UsualSuspect7 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed today and for lab, I only used packet tracer. I had purchased the equipment, however it's a bit cumbersome and cost inefficient. I don't have the money to have those appliances running. lol
    CISSP, CCENT, CCNA R/S, CCNA Cyber OPs, Security+, CySA+, PenTest+, Network+, Microsoft AZ-900, InsightVM CA
  • JustanotherITguyJustanotherITguy Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do yourself a favor and learn how to use EVE.
  • StevennnStevennn Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did, it is best to use Packet tracer. I had live equipment but didn't use it at all. It is 3 years ago though icon_biggrin.gif
    Currently: CCNA R&S certified
    Goal: CCNP by the end of 2020
  • Glyphic83Glyphic83 Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can for sure pass CCENT/CCNA with just Packet Tracer.  In fact, Packet Tracer has a few advantages over real hardware.  The ability to slow things down and view packets through each individual step that they take was of great value to me during CCENT study.  It's also nice to be able to put lab scenarios together quickly without dealing with the real physical hardware.  I have quite a bit of hardware in my home lab, and often find myself turning to Packet Tracer and/or GNS3 anyway just because it's more convenient.
    However, there are definitely some big advantages to having real hardware too.  If you can't afford a home lab now fine, no big deal.  That's not going to stop you from getting certs and moving up.  But I would try to acquire hardware over time.  Maybe you can't afford a full lab right now, but you can afford a used switch or two.  Great, go for that.  Maybe buy a router or two as you move further down the Cisco track.  Before you know it your wife will be telling you to get rid of some of the lab gear you've piled up around the house :smile:
  • barberj66barberj66 Member Posts: 86 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed my CCENT with just packet tracer. I've used Cisco switches pretty much throughout my career so had a good understanding of them but not done much with routers.

Packet tracer is good as you can just open up a lab and get going straight away. I didn't create any of my own labs I just used pre-made ones and the best thing is having it all on a laptop you can lab anywhere.
    Goals for 2019: ICND2 first of all then see how it goes.
    CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
    https://jballaboutit.blogspot.co.uk/