Recruiter asking for my DOB, Wife DOB and how many kids?

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
This is to determine my bill rate, in relation to insurance.

This to me sounds strange, anyone else ever experience this?

I'm not comfortable with this......

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No, can't they just quote a smoking or non smoking family plan?
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    No, can't they just quote a smoking or non smoking family plan?

She is staunch on this.....

My inner self icon_lol.gif is telling me to decline this process for the greater good.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    walk away. a recruiter does not need to know this.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    walk away. a recruiter does not need to know this.

Sounds like their hiring model factors in age. I don't list graduation dates and I only go back 10 years on my resume so they have no clue of my age.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I don't either. Age shouldn't 'matter'.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    "I think we're close on rate but I'd need to know your birthdate, you wife's birthday, and how many kids you have in order to pull up accurate benefit cost. Let me know that info and I can send you the best rate option I have".

Verbatim.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That is so weird... So do give they free health insurance or something to your family? Hard to see why they are reaching for this otherwise.
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow NOOOOO, that is a huge red flag and depending where you live those are illegal questions. Ask the recruiter what does that have to do with me doing the job? The answer is NOTHING.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If HR heard any recruiter use those words, they'd **** a kitten. Those are part of the verboten list of things you can ask someone for probably most/all states.
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Time to walk away from this job, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving out those information to a recruiter unless its with HR and for health benefits purpose, and that's after receiving an offer letter. Just like I always decline to discuss my salary history with the recruiter as i always ask them give me your range and I will let you know whether I'm comfortable with that or not. I'm not sure, but look like you are dealing with Indian recruiter, they are something to deal with. Stay away from Tata, Wirepro, Infosys.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "I think we're close on rate but I'd need to know your birthdate, you wife's birthday, and how many kids you have in order to pull up accurate benefit cost. Let me know that info and I can send you the best rate option I have".

Verbatim.

"I disagree with the use of our ages and family composition being a factor in the hiring process and will not be providing them to you."

Put the ball back in their court and let them terminate the process if refusal to provide that data is a deal breaker.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Geez. Is this internal or external recruiter? Only ask because I always expect shady/illegal crap from external ones.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Geez. Is this internal or external recruiter? Only ask because I always expect shady/illegal crap from external ones.

Cyber - External.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sounds about right then. Hate them all!
  • SaltyHashesSaltyHashes Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your gut instinct is not wrong here. I read the headline of this post and my gut churned inside. Huge red flag.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    i would thank the recruiter for their time and tell them that I'm not interested in doing business with them
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You sure your recruiter doesn't have a criminal record or is a serial killer? It sounds like anything goes with this recruiter. :S
  • krokodilokrokodilo Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have found security guarding companies asking such questions like your eye colour, shirt size, martial status, mental health history, a picture of yourself and length of hair. I mean I can understand some of these, but even the ones potentially relevant to the job, none of these should be on an application form for a job you'll likely not get and in my country could be considered discriminatory.

I mean the background checks they carry out to get your security guarding/bouncer licence is enough really (unless you came from a foreign country).
    So.....

I received another job req and a follow up asking for the same info, (same person). I replied back that I am concerned about age discrimination and haven't received anything back yet.

I'll keep you posted.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • victor.s.andreivictor.s.andrei Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is to determine my bill rate, in relation to insurance.

This to me sounds strange, anyone else ever experience this?

I'm not comfortable with this......

Sounds like she's setting herself and her employer up for an employment discrimination lawsuit.
    Q4 '18 Certification Goals: Cisco ICND2; JNCIA-Junos; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE

2018-2020 Learning Goals: non-degree courses in math (Idaho, Illinois NetMath, VCU) and CS/EE (CU Boulder, CSU)
    in preparation for an application to MS Math + CS/EE dual-master's degree program at a US state school TBD by Q4'21

To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
    Give off light...or darkness, Padawan.
    Be a candle...or the night.
    (Yoda)
  • josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you seem to find yourself in some odd job hunting situations
    So......

I went ahead gave my information even against my gut. After disclosing my age and family status she said the company was no longer interested. Sorry!

icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So......

I went ahead gave my information even against my gut. After disclosing my age and family status she said the company was no longer interested. Sorry!

icon_rolleyes.gif

Why did you do that for? If I were you I would file some discrimination complaint/lawsuit with the EEOC or some equivalent in your country.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So......

icon_rolleyes.gif
    You need to report that **** and visit a lawyer. You have an email chain and that is straight up discrimination. You will have a solid case and will likely win. Do it.
    I'm going to look into it. Thanks for the feedback.
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Dittto, you do need to report this **************. This is scary, please report this to your State Attorney General's office as well to EEOC.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
    The context might of gotten out of whack due to my poor detail.

I emailed the information, my age, number of kids and my wifes age range.

She replied and thanked me

She replied back and said the job position was closed but she would keep an eye out for other position suitable for me.

Sorry, I didn't want to come off like it was immediate.

Here is the core exchange below.

My reply to her
    Her name - I am in my early 40's wife is in her mid 30s and I have 3 kids.

Her reply to me.
    Hey My Name,
    This isn’t the best timing but as of this morning we’ve been told to hold off on submissions to Company A. It’s sounds like they have a few candidates to get through. I’m sorry.
    Was there any interest in that Company B role?
    I’ll let you know as soon as Company A opens back up. And I will keep looking. Thank you.

What I found strange is she said they were having a hard time filling this position prior to my note to her.

BTW I use gmail and have the full exchange.