Resume Review request

codyleo720codyleo720 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I have been applying to a number of positions and have not had much luck. I suspect my resume may be sub par. If anyone has any pointers that would be great.

Person
123 fake st, fake state 12345
(123) 123-1234
email@email.com
Page 1

Certifications
Comp Tia A+ Certification (April 2011 - April 2014)
Cisco CCENT (July 201icon_cool.gif
Cisco CCNA (July 201icon_cool.gif
Cisco CCNP R&S (in progress)
VMware VCA data center virtualization (January 2017)

N.O.C. Technician – August 2016 to present
Some Data Center, 123 company address
Job responsibilities:
Create, manage or disable users and groups in active directory
Create, manage or disable customer mailboxes and accounts on exchange servers and Office 365
Create, manage and support virtual servers using Vmware and Citrix
Create, manage and support virtual desktops using Citrix studio or Xencenter
Support for physical servers in datacenter, including: Dell, HP, Super Micro
Support for operating systems of servers such as windows or linux
Troubleshooting any issues customers may have, respond to phone calls and tickets
Remote support for customers using goto assist
Manage and support physical and virtual networking for customers
-including advising on switching, vlans, spanning tree, and trunking
-also advising on routing using protocols such as OSPF, EIGRP, BGP and MPLS
Implementation and management of routing/switching/security devices
-Various Cisco devices, including: 3970, 6500, 7200, 9600, ASA and Nexus
- Watchgaurd, Checkpoint, Fortinet firewalls
Manage, monitor and perform basic maintenance on hvac systems in datacenter
Manage power/UPS systems, keep records and address issues accordingly
Provide KVM access for customers
Install/reconfigure and advise on network cabling and equipment

Facility Service / Assembly August 2013 – August 2016
Big Box Home Improvement Place, 123 company address
Job responsibilities:
Check in/out vendors
Verify work orders
Conduct safety inspections
Perform repairs and maintenance and inspections on store machines and equipment
Perform building repairs and maintenance
Build customer orders and assemble mowers, grills and displays and furniture

Person
123 fake st, fake state 12345
(123) 123-1234
email@email.com
Page 2

Cell Site Technician 2011 - 2013
Company Name, 123 company address
Job Responsibilities:
Build out sites or make changes/upgrades according to prints or specs
Place and fit conduit for fiber optic and copper cabling
Place and fit hand holes for access to underground cables
Check in and out of sites with Network Operations Center when required
Build, connect and weatherproof jumpers
Test jumpers and diplexers using Anritsu Site Master test set
Calibrate test sets
Place proper color coding on site cables
Terminate fiber, power and RF cables
Install Ericsson RBS and BBS 6102 cabinets
Install and terminate batteries, grounding and alarms
Install and terminate GPS antennas
Install RRUs mounting brackets and H-frames
Install ice bridges
Preform closeout inspections and testing
Uninstall cabling, frames and other equipment during site decommissions

Telecom Technician 2007 - 2011
Company Name, 123 company address
Job Responsibilities:
Install and repair high speed internet and IPTV, VOIP services
Install and repair various segments of outside plant including:
  • Service drops
  • Network interfaces
  • Cross connects
Educate customers on services and features

Comments

• PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You should be pimping yourself out and not just listing stuff you know. Check out srabiee's thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/113891-resume-writing-resources.html
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Upload your resume here in a PDF format, minus personal details. Formatting is just as important as the content.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Interesting I was a cell site tech before I got in IT...
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Get rid of the bullets!! Write paragraphs!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    **** the CCENT, if you have a CCNA, than obviously you have a CCENT, why is the date a smiley face? Is it still valid cert? I'd drop the CCNP too unless you passed at least one exam.

Create, manage or disable users and groups in active directory
    Create, manage or disable customer mailboxes and accounts on exchange servers and Office 365
    Create, manage and support virtual servers using Vmware and Citrix
    Create, manage and support virtual desktops using Citrix studio or Xencenter

Too wordy. Experience in Active directory, Microsoft Exchange, Office 365, Vmware, Citrix, and Xencenter. the number of years experience would be useful too if it was two or more years. A lot of other task descriptions could be combined, it looks like to me you trying to fill out your resume with lots of words. If you truly did Infrastructure and Firewall support, those are pretty in demand skills. I'd work on more clearly descriptive that kind of experience. If your not applying for another cell tech or Telecommunication position, I'd pare down those job descriptions, if you applying for another IT position, i really don't care if you installed ice bridges, not that I know what that is anyway. A "waveguide bridge" or "transmission line bridge" sounds more impressive anyway, not that I'm suggesting you add or keep it.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • codyleo720codyleo720 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys! I'll take these suggestion into consideration.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    get rid of 'in progress' certs.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I will assume you're looking for Networking jobs? Sort of a progression out from the NOC? Any opportunities in your current workplace for upward movement?

If that assumption is correct, I'd reduce the job duties/bullets in the Telecom Tech/Cell Site Tech/Facility Service jobs. It's enough to know you held those jobs for good stints, but not much else may impact further work. Maybe keep enough to show you know how to terminate/run lines, set up service drops, troubleshoot networks, and so on.

The big one is the NOC, and I'd personally be interested in what you've been exposed to and learned in your time there. I'm less interested in the duties (which you list first) and slightly more interested in the devices (you listed them later). You could even split out the types of devices and specific skills/knowledge you know into its own section. Things like firewall types, routing protocols, even layers. Spending 2 years in a NOC is impressive enough, in my opinion, and demonstrates you show up to work and should be very comfortable with all the things you listed. It's a bonus that you also list servers and virtualization, but I have to work to see it. To me that tells me you have a wide range of exposure and not just some ISP NOC or something. I personally like it.

Probably want to add R&S after CCNA. And probably remove CCENT. It's pretty obvious padding.

Do you have a degree? Ever thought about going back to get one, even an associates from a community college in, say, networking? I don't have strong opinions on this, but it's possible you're being sent on your way just due to that. Just a thought!

Honestly, that's about as much as I'd say for now. I think your background looks just fine and I'd truly expect you'd get some hits for network admin positions that open up.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • codyleo720codyleo720 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, networking is primarily what interests me. Although, I wouldn't be opposed to any systems type stuff. I cant really anticipate moving around here as its a small company. Plus by moving on I'd get a decent bump in pay. I have some of an associates in networking done, but my work schedule right now is a hindrance to completing that. I feel like my experience and finishing my CCNP would be worth more that a degree though. But again, Thanks for the really solid insight. I appreciate it.
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Employers these days are looking for result driven individuals when it comes to their resumes. When folks tend to do a brain **** of general tasks and responsibilities, its great but it won't get you the job. Companies and hiring folks tend to look for out of that general tasks / responsibilities / projects that you worked on, how did it impact the company? Did you create a report and provide recommendations that improved network resiliency by 50%? Etc. When you put dollar value to outcomes or showed that you helped improved business or infrastructure operations with improving efficiency, that will really stand out. Its probably harder to do at an earlier stage at someone's career but if you can quantify on how it helped the business, you're good to go.