Got CCNA time to move

monorionmonorion Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello All,

Got my CCNA: R/S today! I want to hit the job market to try to land a network admin job, been doing help desk for quite a while and it's def time to move. Can I get some advice on my resume to see if i need to beef anything up? overall i think it's pretty good but may fear the end is where i'm lacking.

thank you all!!

Comments

• gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not a bad resume, actually. Congrats on CCNA!
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the CCNA. Sounds like we're on the same path. Passed by CCENT yesterday and my CCNA is up next. I've been doing Desktop Support for 5 years and ready to get my feet wet in networking. Blessings on the move!!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Firstly a big big congrats on passing the CCNA. I failed my exam the first time, but got it the second time around.
    From the looks of it, it's a pretty solid resume, lots of white spaces, but a little heavy on the bullets, don't let scaredoftests see that icon_lol.gif.
    I would remove your high school, it is assumed you graduated from high school.
    For your experience, I would write a one to three sentence summary for each job, then use bullets to highlight your accomplishments on each job. I like to recommend use bullets in place of adjectives. Bullets grab attention and you want potential employers' attention being grabbed where you went above and beyond.
    Everyone says they have excellent customer service skills, I sure do. Instead of putting excellent customer service skills on your CV, use bullets to show your excellent customer service skills in action, i.e., where you went above and beyond to help difficult or VIP customers. Don't tell, always show. I also would try to shift your experience to focus a little more on networks if possible.

Anyway the best of luck for your future endeavors and again, a big congrats!
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nicely done. What impresses me the most is that you have certifications and they are directional. Most people go for the throw poop at the wall and see what sticks approach, gratz for not falling for that fallacy!
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Get rid of HS and move education and certifications to the end, delete anything that's "fluff" like the aforementioned "customer service skills". Make sure you aren't unnecessarily limiting yourself. For instance, you mention upgrading Outlook on Lenovo Ultrabooks. Are you only skilled at that or would the same process be used on other Windows devices? "Look, this guy can upgrade Outlook for us." "No, look, he can only do it on Lenovo's, not our Dell laptops."

Way too many bullets, they should be used to emphasize what you have stated in an actual description (you know, full sentences). You have three years of experience and a resume that's already almost two pages long. One benefit of writing in full sentences is that it makes use of that sea of white space on the right side of the page. 10 years from now, your resume still shouldn't be longer than two pages, get used to writing well early and you won't have to later in your career when it counts more.
  • monorionmonorion Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome, a lot of great tips and advice here i really appreciate the feedback.

Thank you all!!!
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You don't need to mention that you graduated from high school. In general it's recommended for resumes to be no more than one page. Remove the short-term job from 2014. Make room on the resume for your technical skills. Reduce font size if necessary but the key is to make that resume one page.

Otherwise you have the more than enough experience and should easily be able to land a networking role. Good luck!