BS degree in computer networking salary ?

Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, i was just curious if anyone knew the salary range for a student with a BS degree in computer networking from a regionally accredited university. I have a buddy that was just hired starting out at 28,000 per year which is what im making right now just by working front desk at a hotel. I have 2 semesters left until i finish my degree and might look at nursing seeing that most nurses i talk to with a BS at my school are starting out at 65,000 per year.

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Its not the degree that gets the money, its the knowledge that gets the money. The BS will present opportunities to get the knowledge
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you passionate about either job? If you are not, then don't pursue based just on expected salary. It will make your life miserable.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im not sure about nursing, defiantly hate computers but im almost done with the degree so im just finishing out the rest of the math and programming classes. My network classes are already done.
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    28k definitely seems low. there are tons of factors as not everyone with a BS in networking from a regionally accredited school operate at the same level. Depends on your location, certifications, previous work experience, industry, etc.

With absolutely no basis for this I'll say that the average network engineer with 0 years experience should be targeting an initial entry level salary of 40-50k in an average COL location.

The biggest take away from this thread is figure out which career path you'd like to pursue and then look at the pay ranges instead of the other way around like it seems you're trying to do.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends on where but we will assume you have no experience. Even where I'm from in southern California which is high cost of living.I'd estimate 35K - 40K maybe. We will assume you start with help desk. No one will hire a network engineer with 0 IT experience unless you are buddies with someone.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As everyone else said, degree != salary. For specific reference, a friend has a WGU networking degree, he's a director at a large telco and makes around 200K in a medium cost of living area. But I would in no way say, "oh, get a networking degree, you can make 200K!"
  • PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    defiantly hate computers

Then I hate to be that guy, but IT probably isn't the place for you. Unlike nursing, you're not going to immediately come out of school making a ton of money. Don't know how old you are, but it'll take time to build up that resume and experience. If you know for sure that you don't like computers now, I doubt working in IT for a few years will change that. It's ok to change careers and pursue something else. Something you are passionate about. Don't force yourself to stick with IT just because of the potential to make a lot of money in the future (because you're not going to get it straight out of school and you'll spend your life being miserable waiting to get there if you hate computers already).

If you still want to a career in computer networking, I'd highly recommend finding a helpdesk position first. Stay there for a year or two, and then you can either transition into a networking position or desktop support first and then networking. While you're in the helpdesk position, use your free time to get a few networking certifications and create virtual labs so you can get some hands on experience.
    Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.
  • PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    He defiantly hates them.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • cabowabocabowabo Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a B.S. in Network Admin and starting out made roughly more than that. What will get you more money is:
    1. Experience
    2. Experience
    3. Experience
    4. Certs
    B.S. Network Admin | CCNP-Wireless
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2018:
    CCNP-W [X] ACSA [X] JNCIA [X]
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2019: CCIE-W [ ? ] CWAP [ ? ]
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I were you I'd try to land a job as a business analyst. Generally this position requires a bachelor's degree in something IT, but the position isn't usually super technical. It pays the bills and this way you're not throwing away your degree. No need for certs really down that path--well maybe PMP if you want to get promoted from there.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP