Recruiter asking for my DOB, Wife DOB and how many kids?

2»

Comments

• draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does this person have an Indian accent? Beware of recruiters living in India using basically shell companies in the US so it appears they are calling from the US. There should be a million other opportuines tell them to go away if they dare ask that type of question.

Now if it were directly from a company internally for a good position then you would be in a tricky place. But real companies don't do that.
  • J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you received another email, from a different recruiter, asking the same information it was probably for the same job. Whoever the company is was probably farming out the job to multiple recruiters.

I've dealt with a lot of recruiters and staffing agencies in my career, none have ever asking for any personal information during the recruiting or interview process. That is not normal (or legal I believe, but I'm no lawyer). The fact that both asked that leads me to wonder if it was something the company they were recruiting for is the one that as asking for the information. Sounds like you might have dodge a bullet anyway.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    J_86 wrote: »
    If you received another email, from a different recruiter, asking the same information it was probably for the same job. Whoever the company is was probably farming out the job to multiple recruiters.

I've dealt with a lot of recruiters and staffing agencies in my career, none have ever asking for any personal information during the recruiting or interview process. That is not normal (or legal I believe, but I'm no lawyer). The fact that both asked that leads me to wonder if it was something the company they were recruiting for is the one that as asking for the information. Sounds like you might have dodge a bullet anyway.

I totally agree moving on.

Sorry to keep this thread on life support, but wanted to follow back up with the conclusion.
  • Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is the deal with shady recruiters these days? I get a handful of people calling (2 a week) and the second thing out of their mouth is "What is your social security number? We really need it to create a unique ID in our database. I also need your date of birth." I will usually delay them and ask to call back after they email details and then I get the recruiter calling back 10 times and sending me emails in parallel asking to sign salary and exclusive agent agreement and they dont even have the job posted on their website. Social engineering 101: Create false sense of urgency...
    allout.gif
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Tekn0logy wrote: »
    What is the deal with shady recruiters these days? ....
    Those calls are not likely to be from recruiters. It's traditional vishing attempts. Usually pretty effective from what I've heard.
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Most of them are Indian recruiter doing this. I heard from a pal of mine that Tata, InfoSys, Wirepro build a call center in India where they actually mining your resumes. They are also showing to USCIS that hey we took say 100 peoples interview but none are qualified for this post could you guys please expedite our H1B visa requests. He had the same experiences as yours, they are reading from a scripts, like salary $45 hours no problem, ok..ok, they don't even know its called 401K plan not 41Plan icon_confused.gif:. I stopped dealing with Indian recruiter for a long time. These unethical folks saturated the job market so badly in terms of quality of works and salary, on top this they are also selling this info on the dark web, and those fake IRS call. its beyond outrages.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    me again.

Wasn't an indian recruiter, in fact I looked her up she is an account manager by title with a popular staffing agency. In fact I looked at her connects and a lot of them were from the same agency.

She's legit.
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well if she is legit, then she should know better than anything else to ask for all those infos. Questions like these could easily put someone in some serious legal issue.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.