ICND1 Passed

Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
Passed today with a 926.

I've been studying for the CCNA for several years now with many hurdles along the way that always threw me off course. I finally buckled down and studied heavily over the last 3 months. I've been through the Cisco Academy twice, once for the previous version of the CCNA (I was very new to IT and it was tough) and one for the current version (much easier the 2nd time around) when I got my AS degree. I read both corresponding versions of Wendell Odom's Official Cert Guide, probably two times each honestly. I used CBT nuggets as well but not as much as my other study sources. I probably got the most knowledge from using Packet Tracer extensively with labs and using my home lab. I also have Scott Empson's Portable Command Guide for the CCNA, which helped a lot while labbing.

Over the last 3 months I focused on the exam topics that you can get from Cisco. What started as a couple pages quickly turned into nearly 20 pages of notes using the exam topics as an outline. I would read my book during the week and add important commands and notes on the exam topics outline, about 2-3 hours of studying. Labbing was done on weekends, around 4-5 hours probably. This past weekend, before the exam today, I used the exam outline and notes I created and ran through them several times to refresh everything. Also a solid breakfast and good nights rest.

For me, the exam was easier than I anticipated, but it was still a tough exam. However, I've reviewed this stuff several times over the last couple of years. Like others say, multiple study sources are beneficial and you have to keep this stuff fresh in your mind. Lab and lab some more. Figure out why things work the way they do by making things fail and fixing them. I also enjoyed creating a large network from scratch (both in PT and my home lab) and adding my newly learned technologies as I progressed (DHCP stuff, routing protocols, port security, NAT/PAT, subnetting, etc.)

Also, this forum is great for learning and being supportive. Thanks for the great information here.

Time to start studying for ICND2.

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great post! Good information there.

I let my certification expire so I plan to take the tests again next year. My final study method the last time I took the test was also to create a giant packet tracer network that included every technology that we learned. Since I have lost the file I will probably do the same thing this time.

Congrats!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • UsualSuspect7UsualSuspect7 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! Keep up the good work!
    CISSP, CCENT, CCNA R/S, CCNA Cyber OPs, Security+, CySA+, PenTest+, Network+, Microsoft AZ-900, InsightVM CA
  • Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot! It's a huge relief having this under my belt finally, even if it is only the first half. I'm going to be let my brain be numb for a couple days but then I'm back at it for ICND2. Hopefully complete it around the new year?

Jon - it really helped solidify everything because I wasn't relying on a pre-made environment. And it was also fun watching it grow and become more complex as I learned new things, even more so when I used my real equipment. Thanks!
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations! Well deserved. Take break and relax for sure and go at the second part recharged. Don't stop moving icon_thumright.gif
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • cabowabocabowabo Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    B.S. Network Admin | CCNP-Wireless
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2018:
    CCNP-W [X] ACSA [X] JNCIA [X]
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2019: CCIE-W [ ? ] CWAP [ ? ]