studying for CEH - EC-council materials or CEH v9 study guide by Sean-Philip Oriyano

pyroopyroo Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey, i just finished a 7 month course in cyber-security,i now have 39 days to study for the CEH v10 exam and i'd like some advice about - which study book will be more efficient?
thanks

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As a fan of Sean-Philip Oriyano, I would recommend grabbing a copy of this book. As a disclaimer, I do not hold the certification but have looked at the EC-Council materials and I must say they look just like printouts of a slide deck. While there is nothing wrong with that, I think a bit more context would be useful.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • potatoman21potatoman21 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed this exam a few days ago, used Sean-Phillip Oriyano's guide and Matt Walker's CEH AIO 3rd Edition guide.
    It was an easy exam. You should also check the Matt Walker's AIO guide it comes with great testing material.
  • herathherath Banned Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend go through CBT Nuggets. They have new CEH V10 Video series released. I know their subscription is ridiculously expensive. But I got their Video Series on eBay for $10. Planning to do the exam in two months.
  • pyroopyroo Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats, was the Sean-Phillip Oriyano's v9 guide matching the v10 exam? and i'd like to mention that the EC-council materials is the official training, maybe some will say it is better? just checking
  • potatoman21potatoman21 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used the v9 guides.
    CEHv10 exam will be introduced on Oct,1st 2018, everything before that is CEHv9. (This is what I got from their announcements portal).
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    herath wrote: »
    I would recommend go through CBT Nuggets. They have new CEH V10 Video series released.

How was the video course? My company subscription only shows a v9 of the course (by Keith Barker I think). Not planning (at least right now) on taking the exam, but want to learn the materials.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • pterygotapterygota Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went through official content and videos from ec-council and felt like it was poorly laid out but definitely got a solid feel for the subjects. Then I read Oriyano and it was gold. I felt it was way more to the point and helpful. But maybe the ec-council help me focus on what was important? I wrote out tons of notes for both the ec-council and Oriyano. I passed the exam with the only weak point being the tools section.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have been using PocketPrep App for Android...Pretty cheap & good for "mobile" studying. But have read Matt Walkers 2015 book & now into his 2017 updated book. I want to make damn sure I pass this exam if I have to fork out over a GRAND for an exam.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    herath said:
    I would recommend go through CBT Nuggets. They have new CEH V10 Video series released. I know their subscription is ridiculously expensive. But I got their Video Series on eBay for $10. Planning to do the exam in two months.
    CBT Nuggets has no such course.  I've perused throughout their website without end.  However, if you're saying the video series for CEH v10 exists there please share a link.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    egrizzly said:
    herath said:
    CBT Nuggets has no such course.  I've perused throughout their website without end.  However, if you're saying the video series for CEH v10 exists there please share a link.
    Maybe @herath was referring to this course - https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/white-hat-hacking-v10
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, it's funny CBT didn't want to mention their name (CEH) whatsoever...heh
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, shame on me. I didn't even look at the pricing on CEH. Guess I may pass on the cert, but still do the study for it. My current job would totally pay for it, but I don't see the value as much as I do with SANS certs. 

Does anyone else see $1k worth of value in CEH? over SANS or other Security certs?

Thanks, 
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • c5rookiec5rookie Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited January 2019
    My answer is no, it is not worth $1000+ of your own money.  If you are getting an employer to pay for it, then maybe, as long as you're not going to get locked into any commitment.  If you need the certification as a mandatory requirement for a promotion or new job then it could be worth it, provided there's some extra incentive or compensation.