Pulled the trigger, Studying for CCNA now :)

detroitwillfalldetroitwillfall Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
So little background..

A+ 801/802 Net+ 006
(Re certified couple months ago with Certmaster CE Net+)

I have roughly 1.5 years now as a Desktop Technician, and am looking to take that next step and hopefully work as a SOC Analyst.

HOW-TO-STUDY laskjdflksjdlkfjsdl

1. Netcad's Intro to Packet Tracer 2018 Course
2. CBT Nuggets ICND1 Video Course
3. Cisco Official Cert Guide CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-105 w/ Companion DVD + Sim
4. CBT Nuggets Cisco CCNA Cyber Ops SECFND 210-250 & SECOPS 210-255 Video Course
5. Cisco Official Cert Guide Library CCNA Cyber Ops SECFND 210-250 & SECOPS 210-255 w/ Companion DVD + Sim
6. Quizlet: https://quizlet.com/332266821/ccent-flash-cards /
https://quizlet.com/332266575/ccna-cyber-ops-flash-cards/
7. LAB - Following this: https://kwallaceccie.mykajabi.com/blog/basic-home-lab
8. OPTIONAL - MeasureUp/Boson for all 3 certs.

**Mindset**

After finishing Netcad, for Each Nugget, follow corresponding chapter in book, manually create/review flashcards.
As LABS become available, practice in Packet Tracer for CCENT or VM Lab for Cyber Ops
End of book pass Simulator for each subject, take some practice tests and schedule exams :)

**Edited from CCNA R+S, this interests me much more and aligns better with my career objectives and path as I can blend some of my Net+ with CCENT then grow into Security.

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I recommend the same thing to everyone that is starting out based on my observation of people new to certifications.

First pick a resource and read/watch it from beginning to end. I have seen countless people read the first three chapters and quit because they are overwhelmed. Don't fall into that trap.

I prefer to watch a video series before I read a book. The reason for this is I feel like I read faster when I already have a basic familiarity with the topic.

The second thing I would say is don't be afraid to fail. Many people never take the test because they are not sure if they will pass. In the big picture there is very little cost to failing and it is a great learning experience.
  • detroitwillfalldetroitwillfall Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    I recommend the same thing to everyone that is starting out based on my observation of people new to certifications. First pick a resource and read/watch it from beginning to end. I have seen countless people read the first three chapters and quit because they are overwhelmed. Don't fall into that trap. I prefer to watch a video series before I read a book. The reason for this is I feel like I read faster when I already have a basic familiarity with the topic. The second thing I would say is don't be afraid to fail. Many people never take the test because they are not sure if they will pass. In the big picture there is very little cost to failing and it is a great learning experience.
    I love videos myself, looks like I'll start soley w/ CBT Nuggets, and maybe go on quizlet for some CCNA related flashcards for each chapter/section. Then I am torn if I should follow the book outline or use Packet Tracer and then the book as a more detailed follow along.
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As someone actively studying for the CCNA, I highly recommend having packet tracer open along with the book. You can quickly try out some of the commands or set-up some of the lab scenarios in the book. I'm doing some of that and also I got my hands on the CCENT ICND1 100-105 Network Simulator which gives you additional hands on practice with the configs and commands mentioned in the book chapter by chapter.

My best advise is to give yourself of bit of lab time after the videos and readings to practice what you learn as this exam you'll also need to perform actions in order to pass such as troubleshooting for errors and configuring. I also recommend learning to subnet early on and practice everyday along with your labs as well.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Glouis22Glouis22 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Instead of starting a new thread, i'll piggyback off of this one and hope I get an answer I'm looking for. I'm just starting my cert. adventure and currently using cbt nuggets. I'm trying to buy the equipment to build a lab, so far I'm looking at the cisco1841 router (from various reviews) and I'm trying to find switches to go with it. I looked at the lab set up on this website but the thread is 15yrs old. can anyone recommend cisco equipment for the CCENT cert? thanks!
    eBay usually sells pre-made labs for CCENTS/CCNA/CCNP, that is where I got mine. I paid about $300 bucks which is not too bad. My setup came with 3 routers and 3 switches. Routers can range between $50 to $100 and switches can range between $30 to $60. It'll probably come out cheaper purchasing this way unless you know people that can give you equipment, or are allowed to use some from work, and I believe you can even rent them. Depends what your finance situation is like.
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials

I'll take a look at ebay, thanks.
    Spiegel wrote: »
    eBay usually sells pre-made labs for CCENTS/CCNA/CCNP, that is where I got mine. I paid about $300 bucks which is not too bad. My setup came with 3 routers and 3 switches. Routers can range between $50 to $100 and switches can range between $30 to $60. It'll probably come out cheaper purchasing this way unless you know people that can give you equipment, or are allowed to use some from work, and I believe you can even rent them. Depends what your finance situation is like.

Any in particular you'd recommend?

I am looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/CISCO-CCNA-10...words=ccna+lab
  • CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Stupid question but what do you plug into the switches?

Like do you have a ton of computers and laptops in the house that you can network/sub network?
    My Aims
    2017: OSCP -
    COMPLETED
    2018: CISSP -
    COMPLETED
    2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
    COMPLETED
               GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
    COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
    2022: OSWE (hopefully)
    Stupid question but what do you plug into the switches?

Like do you have a ton of computers and laptops in the house that you can network/sub network?

Im sure you could do like dedicated LAN from Switch to router and then from router have LAN to smart TV and HTPC, Bedroom Drop. THen configure your wifi clients, which is what I will do.. I dont have any home smart devices presently..
  • Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck on your studies detroit. Looks like you have a good study plan.

FYI - I got 3 1841's at Goodwill for $10 each. They powered on with an old IOS version but I had 3 others at home with an upgraded IOS. They work great.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You will probably want two PC's so you can test connectivity through the network. I used a desktop and laptop for my original lab.

Mostly you are going to set up configurations and then ping to make sure they connect.

If you are going to do a lot of testing on your home network you might want to segment you lab network from you home internet. Just add a cheap home router on your home network with a different subnet. Use that as the default gateway of you lab network.
    Any in particular you'd recommend? I am looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/CISCO-CCNA-10...words=ccna+lab
    That looks like a good setup. I think you can do a bit better (price wise) on eBay. They have similar kits for less. I would make sure that at least one of the switches can be setup as a Layer 3 switch.I got mine through 2RunNetwork. They have URL="https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-CCNA-Cisco-Certified-Network-Professional-Home-Lab-Kit/251029876075?hash=item3a728bed6b:g:FF4AAOSwEppUOcyA:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true"]this setup[/URL which is similar to mine. They have good rep and everyone seems to love their quality.
    Neil86 wrote: »
    Good luck on your studies detroit. Looks like you have a good study plan.FYI - I got 3 1841's at Goodwill for $10 each. They powered on with an old IOS version but I had 3 others at home with an upgraded IOS. They work great.
    Those are nice finds. Awesome!

That looks like a good setup. I think you can do a bit better (price wise) on eBay. They have similar kits for less. I would make sure that at least one of the switches can be setup as a Layer 3 switch.I got mine through 2RunNetwork. They have URL="https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-CCNA-Cisco-Certified-Network-Professional-Home-Lab-Kit/251029876075?hash=item3a728bed6b:g:FF4AAOSwEppUOcyA:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true"]this setup[/URL which is similar to mine. They have good rep and everyone seems to love their quality.
    that's the same set up I saw when you suggested ebay and the one I'm getting. glad I'm on the right track
    That looks like a good setup. I think you can do a bit better (price wise) on eBay. They have similar kits for less. I would make sure that at least one of the switches can be setup as a Layer 3 switch.I got mine through 2RunNetwork. They have URL="https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-CCNA-Cisco-Certified-Network-Professional-Home-Lab-Kit/251029876075?hash=item3a728bed6b:g:FF4AAOSwEppUOcyA:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true"]this setup[/URL which is similar to mine. They have good rep and everyone seems to love their quality.Those are nice finds. Awesome!

I purchased that setup from ebay! Thank you :)
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    You will probably want two PC's so you can test connectivity through the network. I used a desktop and laptop for my original lab.

Mostly you are going to set up configurations and then ping to make sure they connect.

If you are going to do a lot of testing on your home network you might want to segment you lab network from you home internet. Just add a cheap home router on your home network with a different subnet. Use that as the default gateway of you lab network.

I will look into that, I do have an old router laying around..

Yes definitely willpick up a cheap laptop & desktop as well
    Neil86 wrote: »
    Good luck on your studies detroit. Looks like you have a good study plan.

FYI - I got 3 1841's at Goodwill for $10 each. They powered on with an old IOS version but I had 3 others at home with an upgraded IOS. They work great.

TY Sir!
    Well... I changed my mind.... a little :D
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    before buying a laptop/desktop for network testing purposes, learn how to configure loopback addresses and using the address of your loopback as the source of your extended ping. you might not need a laptop/desktop.
    clarson wrote: »
    before buying a laptop/desktop for network testing purposes, learn how to configure loopback addresses and using the address of your loopback as the source of your extended ping. you might not need a laptop/desktop.

Excellent suggestion, I would love to not have to buy any additional devices or equipment but am not opposed.