Am i underselling myself with Security+ certification? Please read

rs23rs23 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have 10 years Federal consulting experience and have a MS in Computer and Network security from 2008. I let my CCNA and CEH expire a few years ago as i shifted to middle management. I serve as a technology lead for our corporate teams advising on solution mainly in Office 365/Cloud migrations and have worked previous in NOC/SOC and ISO 27001 audits.

I started my Security+ certification prep but a lot of my friends/peers feel i am aiming too low and should do CISSP and CCSP or CCSK since my end goal is to do cloud security. At 40 with 3 kids/wife i dont have too much time to waste and need to get a couple of certs under my belt for better opportunities. What do you guys think?

Thank you

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    most DOD positions require a security +...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • rs23rs23 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Even if i end up getting a CISSP? The question is where i should invest my time and money given my experience
    rs23 wrote: »
    I have 10 years Federal consulting experience and have a MS in Computer and Network security from 2008. I let my CCNA and CEH expire a few years ago as i shifted to middle management. I serve as a technology lead for our corporate teams advising on solution mainly in Office 365/Cloud migrations and have worked previous in NOC/SOC and ISO 27001 audits.

I started my Security+ certification prep but a lot of my friends/peers feel i am aiming too low and should do CISSP and CCSP or CCSK since my end goal is to do cloud security. At 40 with 3 kids/wife i dont have too much time to waste and need to get a couple of certs under my belt for better opportunities. What do you guys think?

Thank you
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rs23 wrote: »
    At 40 with 3 kids/wife i dont have too much time to waste and need to get a couple of certs under my belt for better opportunities. What do you guys think?

Harder things usually have a greater reward. This rule applies to certs (as long as the knowledge is beneficial to your role)

Will a Sec+ help you? Sure, maybe... As much as a CISSP? nope, probably not

I'm not sure a Sec+ really matters a lot to employers if someone already has a lot of experience as it is a fairly entry level cert. But there is some value in it as scaredoftests pointed out!

Edit: Just to add, I would look at job ads in your area for positions you want to move towards and see exactly what they are asking for and just focus on those skills/certs.
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    most DOD positions require a security +...

No, they require at least an IAT level II certification. Security+ meets that. CISSP would meet IAT and IAM Level III, which would be inclusive of IAT level II.

Not that the OP mentioned DoD, but if you're curious there are 14 positions on the 8570 chart. Having CISSP will cover you for eight of them. Having CySA+ will cover you for four more of those positions.

OP, do a search for the job you want. Look at what certs are required, and go for those.
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally I would focus on CySA+ and then CASP boom their you go for Gov. Those will cover most if not all of the IA levels
  • ecuisonecuison Member Posts: 131 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most of the CCSP aligns with the base CISSP knowledge/domains (On prem vs Hosted/Off Prem) If you want cloud, I would go for the CCSP as it has name recognition backing by (ISC)2. This by no means states this is an easy/easier certification especially comparing it to the CISSP. The only thing is that you will have to go through the same certification criteria as the CISSP. If you get the CISSP, and then do the CCSP, you fullfill the necessary experience automatically.

Since you already have your Masters, that takes a year off of required experience, and the fact you have ISO experience gives you some advantage going in to the CCSP.

I guess it's perspective on "opportunities" that you may get obtaining either the CISSP or CCSP. My manager doesn't have any professional security certifications, nor does my senior security engineer. So take it with a grain of salt the the industry you are trying to move into. Culture of course is a huge factor of how much weight your certs have.

I understand where you are coming from a time perspective. I'm studying for the TOGAF v9 Certified and shortly after the HCISPP juggling my family as well (kids under 4 years old).
    Accomplishments: B.S. - Business (Information Management) | CISSP | CCSP | TOGAF v9.2 Certified | Security + | Network +
  • rs23rs23 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it!