Destination Addiction

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
https://www.robertholden.com/blog/what-is-destination-addiction/

Interesting concept.

This hit home with me and I know a lot of people on this forum have some sort of version of this

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think this is common but I also suspect it has been a problem for all of time.
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like my problem
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For instance I don't know a thing about either of you, but when I look at your certification credentials I see two accomplished IT professionals, at least from an academic scope.

But do you feel that way about yourselves?

I struggle with this very thing myself.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A lot of that sounds like me. But, some of it is necessary. Always looking forward to the next thing. I like to be prepared, always like to keep learning. But, there is always something better I'm striving for. The next big thing will be where I get successful.

I never really thought I was doing ok until my niece got accepted to a local state college. I told her congratulations and I'm proud of her. She told me that I was who she looked up to and I inspire her. Happy tears came from that, and I felt like I was successful. But, not to rest on my laurels, either. But, I feel good. :)
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome. Next time wife tells me I've settled, I'll show her this link.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I recommended this book before and I'll recommend it again: How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life

Being goal oriented is a recipe for disappointment, because you're constantly chasing that goal and fee inadequate until you reach that goal. Scott Adams recommend having a system rather than a goal. Read the book if you want to understand what that means
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I recommended this book before and I'll recommend it again: How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life

Being goal oriented is a recipe for disappointment, because you're constantly chasing that goal and fee inadequate until you reach that goal. Scott Adams recommend having a system rather than a goal. Read the book if you want to understand what that means

This kind of reminds me of something ai heard about it’s better to tell your children they are hard-workers rather than telling them they are smart. I can’t remember the reasoning, but I think it helps them deal with failure/adversity better. Something along the lines of you can building self-confidence based on factors they can control, level of effort, versus something they can’t control such as intellectual capacity. I believe it also had something to do with internalizing failure if you told you were smart instead of just working harder the next time.
  • JustanotherITguyJustanotherITguy Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interesting topic. I am guilty of this from time to time. Thanks for sharing.