If you weren't in IT, what would be your career?

PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've always been into computers so IT naturally ended up being the career choice for me, but I have 2 other passions. I wanted to be a pro gamer for a long time and played competitively (DDR and Fighting games), but if you're not the best, you're not going to make any money so it wasn't a good long term career goal for me. I've also always been fascinated with insects (especially ants) and wanted to be an entomologist, but I thought it would've been too hard to make into a career. I didn't even know how to get started and figured I would've probably had to be in school for many years before I could even get a job working in that field (and I've always hated school).

If I wasn't in IT, I think I would've tried being an entomologist as my 2nd choice or a pro gamer as my third. Both seem fun, but I'd have a much more stable career with studying insects then with gaming.
Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.

Comments

• clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I always tell people if the laser printer wasn't invented, I'd have to had been a doctor.

Because no one can read my writing. not even me after a few days.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cake Designer (don't judge)

My wife does that. No thank you, too hard. IT is easier. (Not kidding)
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • ecuisonecuison Member Posts: 131 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would have been on the road playing pool.
    Accomplishments: B.S. - Business (Information Management) | CISSP | CCSP | TOGAF v9.2 Certified | Security + | Network +
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    dog walker
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well, if I was not into IT, I would be into BBQ catering or restaurant. Presently, I am part of a pro KCBS BBQ team, and we are competing 6-7 teams a year into Eastern Canada and New-England. I would enjoy to be able to live from BBQ, but IT is much less trouble and easier money.
  • tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    VET,

electrician

driving instructor
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wanted to be a billionaire, but those jobs are so hard to come by...

Seriously, my first degree is in architecture (building design, not computer architecture). I worked in the field for awhile but got lured away by the sound of a PC booting up. If not for that, I'd probably still be in a creative field.
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wanted to be a motion graphics designer doing post-production work. It's still a very active passion of mine. Once I finish my bachelor's degree I want to launch my freelance graphics design business on the side.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    law enforcement
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Full Time Law Enforcement Im a Reserve Officer now

Or a stripper
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Air Pilot
    Train Driver
    Electrician
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I had a lot of money, I'd devote my life to a children's charity
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • coextendingcoextending Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd do professional gaming
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Always wanted to combine my true passions in life: alcohol, cars, and women. Unfortunately I haven't been able to come up with a legal business model to make this work.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would still be in supply chain or HR. (I previously left those two for IT).
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    stryder144 wrote: »
    My wife does that. No thank you, too hard. IT is easier. (Not kidding)

Same. That's a hella stressful job for sure.

If I wasn't in IT then I would be in real estate. Either development, broker (residential and/or commercial), or some other function in RE. The other option would be sales or sales management at a car dealership.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Always wanted to combine my true passions in life: alcohol, cars, and women. Unfortunately I haven't been able to come up with a legal business model to make this work.

**** director? :D
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□

You want to be a professional rapper or athlete
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    triplea wrote: »
    electrician

That what I did when I was going to school for programming, I was pretty good at it. I could have made a living doing that. The advantages of a trade skill is there haven't been any radical advancements in electrical, HVAC or plumbing technology, what you knew 20 years ago is just a relative today. Not so much with IT, being an expert in Windows NT probably isn't going to be of a lot of use in todays job market.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    @Clm no talent for that so still working on plan B.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Either underwear model or making custom furniture.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I wasn't in IT I would be looking for a way to get into IT. Either that or be an international man of mystery
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■

Becoming an alcoholic mechanic would cover 2/3.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @Clm no talent for that so still working on plan B.

Easy...manage a Funny Car team where the driver is a woman and the car uses an alcohol based fuel! Win/win/win...right?
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    or a Victoria's secret model. LOL I don't think they'd look at 4'8" woman (in her young 50s) has a chance do you? icon_wink.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My current career is Printing Prepress. IT just became an extension of my job so I hope to make it my second career.
  • sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Own a gym or artisan coffee shop.
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Professional gaming is not a real feasible job for 99.999 percent of people just pointing that out. I'd like to post my gaming uploads to youtube and make make millions as well but probably not gonna happen.

Realistically I'd say teacher because of the job security and I could maybe teach about computers so that would be my second choice.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Designing and building musical instruments and have a PhD in Ethnomusicology. It was quicker, easier, and cheaper to teach myself to write software instead.