Graduated with Degree in IT Management, studying for Comptia A+

Fred FoxFred Fox Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I graduated in August and am living back with my parents. I've been looking for an entry level IT position but nobody will hire me without a cert, so I am not working and just studying for the Comptia A+.

I had some people tell me that I needed six months to study for 901 and 902. Three months for each. All the posts here seem to be suggesting quite a bit less than that. Am I over-studying? I really want to get this thing done.

Thanks.

Comments

• gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on:

1) your initial bank of knowledge;
    2) your speed of memorizing/understanding previously unknown concepts;
    3) time spent on preparation.

I personally spent 3 months to pass both with little to no preparation, but by that time I long worked in the industry.

I say 3 months full time studying for each part (6 overall) is a bit too much by TE standards, but keep in mind that here we see primarily top of the cream cert monkeys who love what they do and love challenging exams and are very good at it. For a regular person it really may be just fine to spend 3 months/each.

Also, take into consideration your expenses. AFAIR it costs something like $200 each, so if it's nothing for you -- go ahead and try earlier. If it's costly -- make sure you leave no stone unturned before your attempt.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    There isn't a wrong answer here. Some people can study in a month, others need more. I am that guy who always overdo studying. It's how i feel more comfortable so it works for me. I say start studying and find your own cadence. Look at the "passed A+" threads here and see what worked for others. If you are overdoing it you will quickly realize it. Don't try to cram either as that rarely works.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Fred Fox wrote: »
    Am I over-studying? I really want to get this thing done.

Study til you understand and can explain the exam objectives off the top of your head. Once you can, take the test. Don't think of it as you need to study for "X amount of time". Might take one person a couple weeks where another person might need a year...