If you weren't in IT, what would be your career?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I just realized I left something major out. It should've been alcohol, cars, guns, and women.
  • laughlinlaughlin Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, there! This is my first post on this board.

If I hadn't made IT my career, I think I'd have been a journalist. I still enjoy reading long-form pieces, and wonder how nice it would be to get paid for writing on things that really interest me.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Either a 5'7 225lb fat male underwear model or a oil hot water furnace technician.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    laughlin wrote: »
    Hi, there! This is my first post on this board.

If I hadn't made IT my career, I think I'd have been a journalist. I still enjoy reading long-form pieces, and wonder how nice it would be to get paid for writing on things that really interest me.

You can still do that. Maybe do some tech-related writing/blogging (hate that word) on the side. Start your own site, get popular enough, and then monetize it.
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    City planning and outreach education so I can convince everyone why the suburbs are bad and driving is a stupid waste of their time, money, energy, and they are ruining the planet for the rest of us. But alas, computers don't talk back, and only make logical decisions.... so here I am!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mzx380 wrote: »
    If I had a lot of money, I'd devote my life to a children's charity

That is awesome :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • laughlinlaughlin Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tedjames wrote: »
    You can still do that. Maybe do some tech-related writing/blogging (hate that word) on the side. Start your own site, get popular enough, and then monetize it.

Yes, I agree. I must really begin working to that end. It sounds more autonomous than being a journalist.
  • JSNJSN Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hilary Clinton's Exchange Admin
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    laughlin wrote: »
    Yes, I agree. I must really begin working to that end. It sounds more autonomous than being a journalist.

Yeah, write about the topics that interest you. Maybe an article will get picked up. Also, you might find a site that is willing to hire you on a contract basis, which could give you a nice little income on the side.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I knew what I knew now it would be financial analyst, software developer, or mechanical engineer for me.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly, I probably would have pursued a career in politics.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd be BBQ'ing. A little bourbon in the sauce and a lot in the cook.
  • JustanotherITguyJustanotherITguy Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Realistically? Probably working as a operating room/healthcare tech, finance analyst, architect or some sort of trades if I could do it all over again. Dreamwise? F1 Driver.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Probably a waiter at a high end restaurant. I did that in high school.
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Probably a waiter at a high end restaurant. I did that in high school.

Was it Michelin Star rated? I love some Michelin Star rated restaurants, last one I been to in SF was Aster a few years back.

Cheers,
  • AmeliaAAmeliaA Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would have been Teaching, I was an adjunct lecturer before moving into IT by accident   :):):)
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • SanErSanEr Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I want to become a stewardess when I was a child  :)
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Rodeo clown
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cake Designer (don't judge)

My wife does that. No thank you, too hard. IT is easier. (Not kidding)
    Agreed! My mom was a baker/cake decorator and seeing her make roses out of frosting was magical...and i could never do it
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    edited August 2019
    I love to watch the baking competition shows on Netflix. Art, science, and engineering all in one contest.

I suppose my non-IT profession could have been dessert chef, but I don't know French and Spanish to get a job.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I just realized I left something major out. It should've been alcohol, cars, guns, and women.
    Add motorcycles to that and I'm set. Let me know when you figure it out.  :D
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would have been a cartoonist and writer or a history teacher. Heck, if there were money in any of those I'd leave IT today, lol. 
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would be traveling around with my band and playing shows, which I still do. I'm just not broke anymore lol
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Fitness trainer / Real estate / race car driver :P 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    Well, the obvious answer for me is community management! Other than that, though, I've always thought about going into automotive sales if I ever fall out of love with IT. 
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I should be a DJ, music producer or an artist.

But for some reason, I ended loving Electronic and Medicine but in the end I finish studying IT. 
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • StormiCyberStormiCyber Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would probably still be an Industrial Engineer but working for a manufacturing company doing quality control. Ugh... So boring.  
    Degree: B.S. in Industrial Engineering
    Current Certifications 
    : Security+, ITILv3, CASP, CEHv10, GCIH
    SANS Courses Taken: GCIH, GSEC, GPEN
    Next Course: GCUX - Sept 2019
    Studying for
     : GPEN [In-Progress]
    Future Certififcations : GCIA, GSE, GCWN, GCFA, eJPT, GWAPT, GWAN, GXPN, OSCP
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    chrisone said:
    Fitness trainer / Real estate / race car driver :P 
    Im a fitness trainer on the side :)

a friend of mine does race car photography (takes photos of race cars on the weekend)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE