Germany - government contracting

sturnsturn Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been looking at relocating overseas more specifically Germany. I have a TS/SCI clearance, CCNP and 5+ years of networking experience. My question is how much should I be looking at for a salary. Stateside working with the military as a contractor I was making $90K. I don't want to ask for too little/much.

Comments

• gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I bet you will be making less. The only place that can beat the US in terms of salaries in IT is Switzerland and 1) not always 2) the COL there is totally manhattanish.
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Plenty of places beat the US and Switzerland if you are looking cleared jobs. CCNP with TS/SCI will easily land you position in the Far East (Japan, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan). Salary range will depend on the of work, tier level and your ability to arbitrate the salary you want. I know more than a few guys with Secret/SSBI and CCNA who are making $110k~$130K (salary + housing + Cola).

Unless they are paying for your relo (ROUNDTRIP), $90k is a but low for CCNP with TS/SCI. Good luck!!
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • sturnsturn Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kaiju

Yes I'm looking at cleared jobs and those numbers are what I was expecting. I appreciate the response! $90k was in reference to stateside salary I don't think I would be willing to move overseas for the same pay. Ultimately I would like a GS position overseas but we all know how hard it is to get your foot in the door without knowing someone.
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The most difficult part for GS is getting past the initial robot screening. Once your resume starts getting referrals your chances of landing a job increases exponentially. There are always job series 2210 jobs in Asia but STAY AWAY from the GS 11 rating unless they offer you the max amount. GS11 do all of the work but get very little pay and to make matters worse you will normally have to move out in order to move up. I just interviewed for a couple GS positions. If they can get close to my current salary package I will consider taking one of the positions.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
    It's funny you say that because I was just looking at GS jobs in Asia. From speaking to friends that are GS I heard it scans resumes based on the job requirements so I just applied for one and rewarded my resume to match exactly what they are looking for. Hopefully I here something back! Thanks again for the response!
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I thought initially that he wants to work for German govt, lol. My mistake.
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sturn wrote: »
    I've been looking at relocating overseas more specifically Germany. I have a TS/SCI clearance, CCNP and 5+ years of networking experience. My question is how much should I be looking at for a salary. Stateside working with the military as a contractor I was making $90K. I don't want to ask for too little/much.
    I was a contractor in Stuttgart from 2005-2009. I think my salary was about $88k, however the housing was like $65k and the COLA was $10k. I was a non-exempt employee when I got there and traveled often for work so I easily made over $200k. The problem is the way the contracts came out after. They started to pay 'actuals' on housing which means that you would be paid up to $2500/month (or whatever the OHA is) but only your actual rental rate. This didnt include utilities. I know that it must be different now but you shouldn't have a problem with that number.
    I would do a bit of research on what is required as far as TESA and housing, etc. Good luck. We are always trying to get back to Germany.
    devilbones wrote: »
    I was a contractor in Stuttgart from 2005-2009. I think my salary was about $88k, however the housing was like $65k and the COLA was $10k. I was a non-exempt employee when I got there and traveled often for work so I easily made over $200k. The problem is the way the contracts came out after. They started to pay 'actuals' on housing which means that you would be paid up to $2500/month (or whatever the OHA is) but only your actual rental rate. This didnt include utilities. I know that it must be different now but you shouldn't have a problem with that number.
    I would do a bit of research on what is required as far as TESA and housing, etc. Good luck. We are always trying to get back to Germany.

Thank you for the response devilbones! This was very informative I didn't know you got paid your salary and a separate housing allowance as well. That makes it a lot more in enticing.
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sturn wrote: »
    Thank you for the response devilbones! This was very informative I didn't know you got paid your salary and a separate housing allowance as well. That makes it a lot more in enticing.
    It depends on the contract. You need to figure out total compensation before you go too. Plus you may get base privileges or may not. That gives you access to US Post office, commissary, PX, and tax free VAT forms.
  • josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GDIT has most the jobs now after buying everyone up, but most of the major companies still have spots. Like was said above, you’ll want to look at TESA positions because they’re the ones that offer the housing allowance, utilities and COLA payments. The other benefit is your salary is tax free, and if you have children they can go to school on base or a private school of your choosing where tuition will be covered.

A buddy of of mine is currently working as a network engineer at Stuttgart and I want to say he’s making about 90k plus all the other entitlements.