MCSA: Server or CCNP: RS??

monorionmonorion Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
[FONT=&quot]Hello All,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]want to get some opinions on which route to take here. I am stuck and don't know what to do and it's really frustrating me. got CCNA:RS a couple weeks ago and super excited to get back on track but don't know where to go from here. Little back story, been doing desktop support for past 6 years now (i know way too long) and my current job is hell, same thing day in and day out, they won't delegate any server/networking stuff to me (infrastructure is small) and overall not happy with where im at.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Been looking for a job aggressively but getting no bites, looking for a network admin position but it seems every opening in my area lists requirements that i don't have e.g. 5+ years network/system administration, vmware, mcsa, ccna, etc. Also it seems like the market is really thin (NJ/NY area) not seeing too many entry-level/junior level openings (even when there are entry/junior openings they still want 3+ years experience.........how does that make sense)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I really love networking and want this to be my career, setting up routers and switches is much more exciting to me than setting up servers. So im not sure what to do, some say CCNP will help but not having experience will be a draw back, some say be well-rounded which i do agree on, so is MCSA server the right move? or should i start looking into different vendors like juniper?[/FONT]

Comments

• gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I say stay with Cisco if you enjoy it, but consider moving anywhere where you can find a job. And apply like mad, including positions that you don't exactly fit. Support is a dead end, you need to get out of it at almost any cost to advance your career. Juniper only if it's required by the employer, check their market share, it's not worth the effort IMO.

You may also want to get some skills in SDNs and cloud networks to make yourself more marketable in today's world.
  • monorionmonorion Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great thank you for your advice! I am starting to look outside the NY/NJ area, and yes i have been applying to jobs even if im not qualified for their opening, but no luck so far.

what can i do to increase my SDN/cloud skills? any other vendors i can look at?
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Majority of big companies run VMware vSphere/NSX, so you may want to look this way if you eventually see yourself working for big business.

They also have been migrating to Azure/AWS/GCP for a while, so it's worth to know some. If you have to choose I say Azure because it is by design natively compatible with what big businesses historically had on premises (i.e. MS ADDS, Exchange, Sharepoint etc). AWS is more for startup type of businesses/web 2.0 and Google Apps/GCP etc is more used in non-profit/educational/smaller business type. That's all IMHO.

So it's Azure and NSX. Also, network engineer services may be in demand in the field of setting everything up with firewalls and microsegmentation which is partially covered by NSX.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have not started looking for a full time IT job yet. Currently I am the system admin for a small company but IT is only part of my job. I decided to get the Server 2016 MCSA because I knew I was very weak on Microsoft products. I have learned a ton of information but I can not tell you yet if it was the best choice.

I do think it is worth while to be well rounded on the lower level certs until you pick a direction. I will renew my CCNA as soon as I am done with my MCSA and then I plan to go straight into CCNP studies. I would like to focus on networking but I see a lot more job postings for system/desktop positions and I will need to start somewhere.
  • JustanotherITguyJustanotherITguy Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Go for CCNP RS. It will help you get through the HR filter.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I suggest MCSA for two reasons. First, networking doesn't exist in a vacuum and systems knowledge helps you understand how the network is being used. Second, it's possible to have problems finding a job when your certs don't match your background. Helpdesk and CCNA+MCSA match and tell a hiring manager you want the next level. Helpdesk plus CCNP screams booklearning. Then there's the whole salary thing since no smart employer would offer much more than they would for a new CCNA.