Options

Average time in a job/with a company

CyberJosh95CyberJosh95 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys and Gals,

What have you guys noticed the average time most people spend in a job/with a company? I know many things can play a factor in this but, I'm still curious.

Comments

• Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My average is 5.6. I have been working for 17 years with 3 jobs.
  • Options
    barberj66barberj66 Member Posts: 86 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mine has tended to be 3-4 years, some 3 others 4 but never any longer so far. Coming up for around 3 1/2 at my current one so could be on the look around soon!
    Goals for 2019: ICND2 first of all then see how it goes.
    CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
    https://jballaboutit.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm about 2.5, the last 3 more around 3.... It's going up but not by a lot. I've been in this position for ~2 years.

I would guess around 3 would be the average. (Just a guess)

I did recently see some numbers showing the median time for the top 20 tech companies. If memory serves me correctly, I think the median for most of these companies was ~1 year. Facebook had the longest, at 1.1 years. Google was under a year, since 2014. (These were tech roles)
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Databasehead that's interesting given the top companies bonus/stock structure that employees probably make it til they hit their 1 year to get paid and then maybe they jump to another top tech company? Just speculation
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2.714286 for me. But I feel like I'm stuck at my current position for a while as it is rather good. Already past that average mark...
  • Options
    AtlasSolutionsPlusAtlasSolutionsPlus Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I feel that these days it is so much easier to find people who jump from one job to the next. The competition is fierce with pay and benefits and there does not seem to be very much loyalty like there was 20 or so years ago. I heard on the radio that switching jobs, from starting to put out applications to actually being hired is about 5-6 months! That seemed crazy to me but with all of the need to submit applications online versus walking in and handing in a resume, makes sense.

I worked in the same field for 5 years, but with different companies. Then transitioned to a whole new career where I was there for 2.5 years, then left Corporate America to become a business owner and advisor with a national youth leadership organization. That, to date, has been my longest at 10 years.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Usually between 2-4 years. If pay raises aren't up to snuff, or I'm stagnating in my skills being used it's usually time to jump. Just passed the 2 year mark with my current company. Tick Tock.
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was at about 5 years at previous jobs, but lately it has been about 2 years. The last job I had, I was laid off due to IT outsourcing/offshoring just under 2 years. My current job it has been just under 2 years, but I am switching from DoD Contractor to Civilian starting next week. They are giving me Tuition Repayment for 6 years, so I'd like to keep this for as long as possible.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My breakdown

Organization: Miltary
    Time Spent: 7 yrs
    Reason for leaving: Medical injuries

Organization: Intelisecure
    Time Spent: 9 months
    Reason for leaving: Shaky leadership and jumped before a layoff could get me

Organization: CHI
    Time Spent: 2.6 years
    Reason for leaving: Better Job called

Organization: Fortune 250 org
    Time Spent: 2 months
    Reason for leaving: n/a

So my average is 2.7 years and I'm ok with that. I know a-lot of folk say job hopping is bad or there is no loyalty i think thats a hard standard to push in IT. I get recruiters contact me everyday most aren't what i want but every so often I get a request that peak my interest. Companies have no loyalty to there employees so i always tell anyone in IT do what is best for you and your family.
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    about tree fiddy???

We have a daily thread like this it seems.

Every situation is different, and every hiring manager is different. Some likes that you stayed for 3 yrs in a positions, others will use it against you.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Let's see, my career in IT is as follows. 15 years, 7 Years, 6 weeks, 10 months, 4 years. This is at each employer, does not count promotions within the same company, This give me a average of 5.4 years per company, or 6.7 years if I drop the 6 week job I had.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    3 jobs in 25 years

9yrs
    2yrs
    14 and counting