Options

AWS no longer requires prerequisites

MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
"In the past, we required you to pass an Associate or Foundational level exam before pursuing a Professional or Specialty certification. We listened to our customers, and heard you wanted more flexibility, so we are eliminating these requirements. You are no longer required to have an Associate certification before pursuing a Professional certification, and you are no longer required to hold a Foundational or Associate certification before pursuing Specialty certification."

https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2018/10/announcing-more-flexibility-for-aws-certification-exams/

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    I'm sure big enterprise customers that had moved to AWS were complaining about the training costs for 100's-1000's of their people to run them through the associate certs first. Reminds me of when Cisco decided not to force cert candidates to get the Routing/Switching cert before the specialty certs for the same reason.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I always hated this model, it always smelled like more money. Good for AWS, IMO going about this the right way.
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing sounds interesting!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Works for me. I wouldn't want to take all of those exams :)
  • Options
    cochi78cochi78 Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are some changes coming up with proctoring of the exams. My guess is, that they lifted the prerequisites to make this (technically) easier on their own end. I got some info on an AWS internal event about that, but can't share those for probably obvious reasons. If I'm right, the changes I mentioned should pop up in 2-4 weeks - they would not be related to the exam contents though, just on how you do them and making it easier for many folks.

Let's see and wait.

BTW: many enterprises I know are fully aware of the Associate exams being quite easy to self-study for and the usual suspects like acloud.guru. I attribute a good drop in training requests to that fact. That's why I think the change is unrelated to this.
  • Options
    JustanotherITguyJustanotherITguy Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□