ROUTE or SWITCH - which was more challenging?

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
For those of you who have already passed both ROUTE and SWITCH, which did you find to be more difficult to pass? I know it's all subjective, but I'd still like to ask.

Comments

• williebwillieb Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I found them equally challenging and actually made the same score on each, not that score matters but just for comparison.
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320
  • albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had less experience with ROUTE, but I actually scored better. They're both challenging, though. Most folks go for switch first, then route, and then tshoot while the route material is fresh. That order worked for me. In the end, the order doesn't matter as much as just picking one and starting the journey. You can spend weeks "preparing" to study, trust me I did the same, and I'm sort of doing it again with the CCIE. At some point you just need to press play on those videos or open that book cover and get started.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • JustanotherITguyJustanotherITguy Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Route is prob more challenging for most inexperienced networkers because it covers a lot of topics.
  • shortstop20shortstop20 Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At first, I would have swore Route was going to be harder, no question. After passing both of them, I think Switch may have been harder actually, even though I had more experience with L2 than L3.

There's just so much minutia about things on Switch, less so on Route IMO. I scored better on Route and walked away thinking "This test was more fair and easier than Switch".

Just my .02
    CCNA Security - 6/11/2018
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • mj30250mj30250 Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Strictly comparing breadth and depth of material, Route was more difficult to learn for me.

However, bringing it into the exam world, I found Switch to be much more frustrating. Questions and possible answers were structured in a more difficult fashion, and there was a large amount of questions that went extremely specific on topics that the official study materials either glossed over or didn't cover at all. As challenging as Route was, it just seemed much more fair.