Options

WGU- Questions, Comments, and Concerns

MrsWilliamsMrsWilliams Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
I just applied to the graduate program. I have applied to a few over the past few weeks.

-WGU is the only one that asked for the address of my employer. Which I thought wasn't relevant at all. I skipped that question. Luckily it wasn't mandatory and hopefully it will not come up later. All of the other 5 universities I applied to didn't ask.

The university states:

Graduate-level program requirements are never cleared through transfer because of prior graduate school study. However, competencies obtained through prior study will help students to accelerate toward degree completion.

I have more than one graduate level class completed at another more name branded institution. I was hoping that I could transfer credits. Those previous courses that I took cost several thousand dollars each. I am not sure I am willing to sacrifice that money to attend ......WGU. Does anyone know of any other universities that you have transferred graduate credits into?

If all else fails I could continue to attend the university I am currently at. My job has good educational reimbursement incentives. So, It's not like I would have to pay out of the pocket for most universiites in the world. WGU just seems like a quick and cheap way to get a degree, fast.

I looked at the page regarding the credit transfer policy. What it doesn't state is if you can transfer certifications to minimize the graduate class workload. Anybody have any insight on that? If they won't transfer college classes I doubt they'll take a lousy certification...

TechExams should definitely get a commission for the number of WGU students here that have attended and suggest the university
icon_lol.gif. Without this site I would have never found myself on the WGU website.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I guess it all depends on what you want to get out of it. It fills in a gap for those people that want to check-the-box but don't care about a name-brand school. It seems even better for people like me who have extensive experience and could probably teach some of the classes. And of course, the price is great if you know you'll be able to dedicate the time to complete it in under a year. It's certainly not for someone who needs handholding, likes a lot of face time with the instructor or will benefit from the contacts you make in a Masters program.

I asked the same question in a different thread here about their MBA program and the answer that came back was that they would not allow you to skip the project management course if you have a PMP. Unsure if that's a blanket policy but it doesn't bode well.

You're using the sunk cost fallacy. Forget about what you've paid and compare the WGU cost and time expected to what your previous program would involve to finish. Then figure out if you're at a point in your career where a name brand school has a value.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□

I looked at the page regarding the credit transfer policy. What it doesn't state is if you can transfer certifications to minimize the graduate class workload. Anybody have any insight on that? If they won't transfer college classes I doubt they'll take a lousy certification...
    The lousy certifications are the final exams for two of their classes. It's a competency based program, if you've passed the specific final already then you're covered.

From your post, it sounds like you don't want to go there, not sure what other input you're looking for.
  • Options
    draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would talk the enrollment councilor. It has been years but mine was excellent and covered all questions and topics. You need to get in touch with yours and ask.