Failed ICND1 :(

NetStudent89NetStudent89 Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi. So I failed my ICND1 exam last week. 803/900 (Passing is 830). I'm re-testing in November, but I'm nervous. I feel like these exams have so many questions that come from left field; little details that I didn't study. At this point, I think taking many more practice exams will be more beneficial than reading through my CCNA book again. I've been using MeasureUp, but how does anyone feel about paying another $100 for the Boson practice exams as well? I would have less than a couple weeks to use it, if I do purchase their exam software.

Thanks.

Comments

• neonmanneonman Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should have gotten a printout after your exam that shows you what percentage you got in the different sections. Study up on the areas you didn't do well in. Really ask yourself do you know and understand the topics? Could you explain it to someone else and feel comfortable? If you know the technology you should be able to pass the exam saying that Cisco exams can be badly written, also try and eliminate one or two of the options in the multiple choice questions and narrow it down, what you have left will give you the answer.
  • cabowabocabowabo Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I look at it this way, why put in $100 for a practice exam when you could be putting that towards another attempt at the test. Which the test in and of itself is the best practice exam there is. I would personally save the $100 and use it towards another attempt.

When I took the ICND1, I failed my first attempt also just because I was extremely nervous and had never taken a cert exam before but just went back and studied and passed two weeks later after reviewing my weak points. As long as you're driven and determined you'll pass. Just review what you didn't do well in and go back and knock it out in a couple weeks. I would suggest also not waiting too long, as the material will still be fresh in your mind from the first attempt. Good Luck!!!
    B.S. Network Admin | CCNP-Wireless
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2018:
    CCNP-W [X] ACSA [X] JNCIA [X]
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2019: CCIE-W [ ? ] CWAP [ ? ]
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks like your score was really close and now you know what to expect.

I have heard good things about the boson tests but I have to agree with cabowabo the real test is the best practice you can get. Don't be afraid to fail just be persistent and you will pass it.

Good Luck!
  • UsualSuspect7UsualSuspect7 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yea, I would take it much sooner than November, you've seem to rather close, don't wait. Good Luck.
    CISSP, CCENT, CCNA R/S, CCNA Cyber OPs, Security+, CySA+, PenTest+, Network+, Microsoft AZ-900, InsightVM CA
  • juicyjay36juicyjay36 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't give up! Look at your performance in each section and find where you need to improve at. Also make sure you review the official exam topics before test day, if any of the topics are a bit cloudy, look into them so you understand them.
  • xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's excellent advice in the above replies, IMO.

Took me 3 times to pass the ICND1. What really helped push me over the top was:

1. Using the post-exam printout to focus my studies, and

2. Labbing a lot. I had certain commands, etc. down pat from my work experience, but there were some that I never use at work, so using labs to practice those commands really helped.

Best of luck!
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • NetStudent89NetStudent89 Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed! 878/900

Thanks for all the advice. It helped a lot.
  • NetStudent89NetStudent89 Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed! 878/900

I mean 878/1000
  • shortstop20shortstop20 Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed! 878/900

Congrats!!!
    CCNA Security - 6/11/2018
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • williebwillieb Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! You've earned it!
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320
  • juicyjay36juicyjay36 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Brave_heartBrave_heart Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_thumright.gif Well Done mate! Another milestone for you. Keep climbing the IT Pyramid.
  • AmeliaAAmeliaA Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey, you don't have to spend a lot for this. I think what you need is a reliable source. I passed CCNA without spending a lot. The book is okay but, you need to apply what you studied. So, I guess practice test will be better. Oh and by the way, I made a time table. I tried searching some websites and practice blogs. However, there was this one site that helped me a lot. https://www.examtopics<dot>com/ You might want to check it out. They have so many questions and they are very similar in the exam. I saved a lot of time but got a good score. I don't think I can do that if not because of this website. I hope you pass and let us know what happens! Good luck!
  • cabowabocabowabo Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    B.S. Network Admin | CCNP-Wireless
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2018:
    CCNP-W [X] ACSA [X] JNCIA [X]
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2019: CCIE-W [ ? ] CWAP [ ? ]
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Boston will definitely put you over the top. It will allow you to find your week areas and study to sure those week areas up.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good job in passing! Well earned and many respects for not quitting after failing.  
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Glyphic83Glyphic83 Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Boson is very pricey and isn't necessary for passing any Cisco exam, but if you are able to spare the money on their products it is definitely worth it.  I've found their practice exams to be consistently more difficult than the real ones.  From my experience if you pass a Boson exam you can be pretty sure you will have no trouble with the actual exam.