Taking my GSEC exam in Dec; any advice?

afobafob Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am a newbie in InfoSec. I was accepted into the SANS Cyber Security Academy. 6 months to review 3 courses & complete 3 tests. You cannot move to the next course if you don't pass the test. This opportunity is a great one and I do not want to fall short.

Any advice on how the test is?

Any one have any spare GSEC practice tests? I still have my 2 but I want an abundance of practice before I step in the classroom.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    How's your index? This is absolutely key.
  • afobafob Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My index is very detailed. I have 3 more books to read. I am just anticipating how the test will be. I guess the practice test will give me a better visual of how the actual test may be.
  • Cuse0311Cuse0311 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As cyberguypr said, your index will be the key. In regards to the practice exams, having more than two is not really beneficial IMO. This is because they tend to overlap a bit. My suggestion would be to go through all the course material at least twice (including labs). After you create your index, go through and take a practice exam. This will give you an idea of how the GIAC exam engine is structured. I would try to shoot for 80% or above. After taking the first practice exam, I would fine tune your index and take the final practice exam. Just my .2 cents for what it's worth.
    Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it!
  • mactexmactex Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agree with above. Let the practice tests be your guide to tweak your index along with your knowledge of the domains.
  • JGSJGS Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the exam in Sept (first SANS exam - got in the mid 80s on my practice test and a 90 on my actual test). In addition to what others have said, what helped me was (1) putting a tab with a description on key pages in the books for quick lookup on the test (to save time), (2) printing out **** sheets or other useful information (such as a list of common ports), (3) Making some **** sheets based on info in the book such as the crypto section and (4) I didn’t do this but should have - make sure that every term that was in the SANS provided index was in my index and that I knew what the term was. Good luck!
    JGS wrote: »
    I took the exam in Sept (first SANS exam - got in the mid 80s on my practice test and a 90 on my actual test). In addition to what others have said, what helped me was (1) putting a tab with a description on key pages in the books for quick lookup on the test (to save time), (2) printing out **** sheets or other useful information (such as a list of common ports), (3) Making some **** sheets based on info in the book such as the crypto section and (4) I didn’t do this but should have - make sure that every term that was in the SANS provided index was in my index and that I knew what the term was. Good luck!

Thanks. I will do that. I will looks up SANS **** sheets online. I am having some issues with Cryptography but I will keep reviewing it. I have to get around to tabbing the book as well.
  • NostromoNostromo Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi afob,

FWIW, these are my impressions from taking GSEC two years ago (partial spoiler: write, not just have, a good index):

http://www.techexams.net/forums/sans-institute-giac-certifications/119526-passed-gsec-tips-preparing-exam.html

Best of luck, and tell us how it went.

N.
    Wanted to update you all. I passed the test. Thank you all for all of your advice! On to GCIH now
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @afob That's great! Congrats!
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    afob said:
    Wanted to update you all. I passed the test. Thank you all for all of your advice! On to GCIH now
    Good work. Now you have all cylinders firing for GCIH.
    I just passed the GCIH yesterday. I have to figure out what will be my next test. I have one more to choose from