Just Passed my ICND1!

USr1deMCUSr1deMC Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reading my post. Earlier today I passed my ICND1. The study guides I used were Todd Lammle CCNA Routing and Switching Complete Deluxe Study Guide, 2nd Edition, CBT Nuggets with Jeremy Cioara, Boson ICND1 practice exams. I first started the CCNA R&S study guide and read chapters 1 - 14 while taking notes, taking the chapter exams, as well as practicing the labs on my home lab and through Packet Tracer. I decided to get a home lab because I plan to pursue my CCNP right after I finish my ICND2. I've heard the lab is more preferred for studying CCNP. Plus I was able to get 3 free L3 switches from work and the Routers are pretty cheap when sourced through E-Bay.

My background was originally in Network and Server Admin through the Marines. I've had basic CCNA training as well as Advanced BGP protocol classes through the Marines. I wish I had studied for my CCNA back in 06 - 07 when we were taught a lot of the foundation courses in the Marines. Never to late to start though! Once I left the Marines I was lucky enough to get a job in the Pharmaceutical industry as an IT engineer. A lot of my recent projects were Network focused and I learned a lot through our network redesign, expanding offices, and maintenance but also had more questions than answers. I've always been intrigued by networking and I see it as a growing industry as new technologies are created and more devices hit the network. I would say it is growing at an exponential rate!

Just to give a time frame...Right when I finished my BS in December I picked up the book and began studying. I made it through 5 chapters and life got in the way as it usually does. Back in April I restarted from Ch 1 and read through the entire ICND1 segment to Ch 14. After reading through the book I watched Jeremy Cioara's ICND1 CBT Nuggets series and also practiced the labs. Then a week prior to the exam I bought Boson ICND1 exam that had over 200 questions. I highly recommend Boson as it is a little more challenging than the test and it is very similar to how the Cisco Exam is structured. That way when you take the exam you are already use to how the Simlets are structured. I ended up scoring an 883 on the exam. Without giving anything away, before taking the exam I felt I was a little weak in some areas which showed it's head on the exam!

I highly recommend using multiple study sources. The book is great to get nitty and gritty, while CBT Nuggets helps to refresh and keep it light and funny. Finally testing your knowledge with the Boson exams. I will be using the Boson exams to prep the week before my ICND2 to get my CCNA.

Thanks for reading!

Brent

Comments

• greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hey Congrats man....Great Job.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! I envy your positive outlook!
  • USr1deMCUSr1deMC Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • UsualSuspect7UsualSuspect7 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Congrats!!!!
    CISSP, CCENT, CCNA R/S, CCNA Cyber OPs, Security+, CySA+, PenTest+, Network+, Microsoft AZ-900, InsightVM CA
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! w00t w00t!
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • USr1deMCUSr1deMC Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • cabowabocabowabo Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    B.S. Network Admin | CCNP-Wireless
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2018:
    CCNP-W [X] ACSA [X] JNCIA [X]
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2019: CCIE-W [ ? ] CWAP [ ? ]