Options

SANS 660 Preperation

thealphathealpha Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
My employer has finally agreed to let me take a SANS course, and I have chosen the 660. Does anyone have any recommendations beyond reviewing the course objectives for preparing for this course? I have taken the eCCPT and eWPT, however I don't think either of those are quite enough. OSCP is out of the question in terms of completing before the SANS course.

Comments

• Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I believe SEC560 and OSCP are the more compared courses. Have you done pen testing before? Have you written any exploits? Keep in mind this is an exploit writing course, not just using exploits to get root. I suppose if you've passed the eCCPT, you might be ready. Just make sure to look at the prerequisite suggestions and syllabus.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    ITHokieITHokie Member Posts: 158 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Even if you're comfortable with pen testing, half the course is security research centric. Memory, assembly, smashing the stack, bypassing ASLR etc. If you don't have recent experience with those, that's where my focus would be. It's a tough climb. One option is to look at exploit writing or assembly content at SecurityTube.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Would you guys say eCPPT>GPEN>OSCP>GXPN>OSCE as a decent track?
  • Options
    ITHokieITHokie Member Posts: 158 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not really familiar with eCPPT content, but yeah. That looks good.
  • Options
    supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The GPEN would be better prior to the eCPPT, its not as in depth as the eCPPT.
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power