No luck with CISSP, considering trying CISM...is this reasonable??

clconrad1clconrad1 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have tried and failed my CISSP 2X. I felt like I truly knew the material and was doing well on my practice tests. SO the first time I failed wasn't as shocking. I took it over Christmas vacation last Dec (so yes, almost a year ago) but didn't have time to devote to studying as much as I thought I would during that last week. I reached for Feb 2018, and even took a week off work to study and still did not pass. I feel very defeated by that test. I just don't understand how to study for that test when they give you study questions in one format but then the actual test questions are completely different in a different format. I 'get' that they are not going to be verbatim, but I felt like I was taking a totally different test. My study materials given to me from the week long CISSP prep was VERY misleading. I am ready to give it another try, but am wondering if CISM might be a better fit? Not that I expect it to be easier. I just wonder if the test isn't as weird as the CISSP. Something in my brain just does not understand that test, even though I feel confident about the material. UGH. Just need some advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• ansionnachclisteansionnachcliste Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's other certs do you have and your IT / Infosec background.

Don't stress just yet. :)
  • clconrad1clconrad1 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My current cert is Security+. I had MCSE in Server 2003 but have not kept up with the MSCE stuff since I switched to Infosec. I have been in the InfoSec field since 2011.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    A lot of people that took CISSP and the CISM said that CISSP is harder than CISM.
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    A lot of people that took CISSP and the CISM said that CISSP is harder than CISM.

+1 at least in my case.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You might consider SSCP. It's certainly not as popular as CISSP, but there is a lot of the overlap material in SSCP and CISSP - it seems to me anyway as I study for CISSP - albeit CISSP is more advanced.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I got the SSCP just before my CISSP and it was very good prep. CISSP is general InfoSec, while CISM is for people with several, verifiable years as an InfoSec manager. Be sure to check if you meet the CISM cert prerequisites before spending time studying for it.
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CISM should be relatively easier compared to CISSP, but as JD pointed out  "Be sure to check if you meet the CISM cert prerequisites before spending time studying for it." You need someone from your org to sign the verification form on behalf of you. This could be your manager or a co-worker who could actually vouch for your 5 + years of managerial experience.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.