PJ'S WGU Progress Thread - MBA (started November 2018)

PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
This is my second WGU accountability thread. My first was for the MSCSIA.

My history with Western Governors University is that I also have the BSIT in Network Admin and the MS in Cybersec and Info Ass. I decided to try for the MBA to get the letters after my name, and it turns out an MBA is a big deal where I work... it's an unofficial prerequisite for any type of supervisory position. Also, WGU's business programs are now ASCBP accredited so that's cool.

I originally enrolled for the MBA IT Management program until I found out that it meant writing 5 more papers than the vanilla MBA, since the IT Management specialization adds some IT-based coursework based on the PMBOK. I switched to the plain MBA with no specialization because I felt that it would be a more expedient route and less of a hassle. I also felt like I don't need an IT focus with my MBA since I already have other technology credentials.

Term started on November 1, but I got a late start because I was still studying for the CISM exam. I passed that last week, so now that CISM is out of the way...

Currently Studying:
C202 - Managing Human Capital

Incomplete Classes:
C200 - Managing Organizations
C204 - Management Communication
C212 - Marketing
C213 - Accounting for Decision Makers
C206 - Ethical Leadership
C207 - Data-Driven Decision Making
C215 - Operations Management
C211 - Global Economics for Managers
C216 - MBA Capstone

Complete Classes:
N/A

icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice! Good luck! Look forward to updates on your progress!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Knocked out C202 Managing Human Capital.  It's an HR class.  This class would only be hard if you have never worked in an environment with a professional human resources department, or if you just never paid ANY attention to HR at all.  I did really well on the exam, despite feeling uneasy about 30% or so of my answers.

C204 is coming up next.  Looks like this class involves creating a video in which I present a PPT.  Not sure how to do this without a projector.  Huh.

Currently Studying:

Incomplete Classes:
    C212 - Marketing
    C216 - MBA Capstone

Complete Classes:
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited November 2018
    C204 is coming up next.  Looks like this class involves creating a video in which I present a PPT.  Not sure how to do this without a projector.  Huh.
    Does your work have a smart board or a TV used as a monitor? That's how I did it when I was working on my Bachelor's. Keyboard on a table in front of you (if you don't have a clicker) and point.
    EANx said:
    Does your work have a smart board or a TV used as a monitor? That's how I did it when I was working on my Bachelor's. Keyboard on a table in front of you (if you don't have a clicker) and point.
    Thanks for the tips!  I actually dug into the courseware a little bit more and apparently we're supposed to use the Panopto platform to do something similar to Adobe Connect video.  I have a little bit of time to get the video done, I'm taking the mentor's advice and working on Task 2 first to make Task 1 easier.  I should have it all done this weekend, hopefully.  :#
    Well, I had some personal drama pop up that took a toll on my mental state. Ended up with 2 weeks left in my term and two classes to finish: C200 and C204.

Put my head down and passed them both with one day to spare.  Now I'm taking a term break.  Hopefully I'll be ready in a few months to finish this off.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited May 2019
    Interesting thread, PJ.  I've considered whether I should pursue the MBA as well, after finishing the BS:IT Sec and MS:CSIA  (and withdrawing from BS:CS), as I'm kindof at a crossroads -- do I stay in IT or move away from that.  I'm getting older and some personal things have caused me to evaluate moving away from the 'hands on' roles of IT.

I know your original post discussed this a bit, but if you wouldn't mind, would you care to elaborate if there was any other driving decision to pursue the MBA?  When I think of doing it, I start to think it's a lot of investment in time and money for something I may end up finding I don't care for.

Relevant youtube link:

Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
    Hey Bermovick!  Well there were a few things that made me want to pursue an MBA.  One was the fact that damn near everyone where I work has at least one master's degree, and even many of the administrative assistants here have MBA's.  It's just the environment I am in.  The other consideration of mine is that one day I will not be able to keep up in the tech world.  I simply won't be spry enough, and I will need to transition to a role that is less dependent upon churning through training and certs.  Lastly, I just kinda wanted to have MBA after my name because I think it pairs well with my MS and certifications in the job I have.  It's a great place to work, I just need to bring myself up to a level (on paper) that will make me competitive if I pursue promotions.
    I haven't posted in forever. Several things have changed in my life and some things had to be shuffled to make room. Updates here fell off the radar. 

Anyhow, it is now August of 2020.  I started this thread in November of 2018 and I am beginning my MBA capstone project.  I originally had plans to accelerate, but it did not happen.  Personal issues led to me taking a term break last year, and then my job's response to COVID-19 has made me extremely busy and left me tired most of the time in 2020.  However, I will graduate in under two years (even with a 6-month term break).  So at least I am not falling behind, from a conventional graduate program time frame perspective.  Overall, I will have completed a BS, MS, and MBA in less than 3 years combined time.  Not too bad all things considered.

Accelerating this program would have been completely doable for me, had I been in a different place in my life, and my personal motivation at more normal levels.  If anyone has any questions about any of the classes in this program feel free to ask.  Some of these classes are more intimidating than they are hard to pass.  Although much of the coursework was somewhat outside of my wheelhouse, it was in no way too challenging for me to learn or comprehend at any time.

Currently Studying:
    C216 - MBA Capstone

Complete Classes:
    C212 - Marketing
    edited November 2020
    Well damn.  I just finished.  It took me the full two years, to include a term break.  This should not have taken so long and I'm kicking myself for not accelerating my program.  This shouldn't have taken me more than 3 terms max, given professional and WGU experience combined.  Once you get into the WGU groove you can apply very similar strategies across different programs and classes (such as study/test techniques, report templates, etc.).  I should have saved thousands of dollars, but I didn't.  At least I'm done now.  :'(

OK back to what people are really curious about, the C216/C218 capstone project.  WGU has changed it from previous programs and it is now a solo project.  You have to complete a conscious capitalism Marketplace Simulation, where you are the founder of a company that you have to carry into Quarter 7 of operation.  You have to design and control every aspect of your company.  I mean, everything.  It is extremely granular.  It is almost like a very detailed Sim City-esque video game with high stress, little room for error, and no extra lives.  At the end of Quarter 3, if your company is in the black you can progress.  You then have to record a video presentation with a slide show that is a pitch to investors trying to get them to buy X amount of shares in your company in order to continue operation.  If you pass, you secure the funding and can continue the simulation though to the end of Q6.

After the simulation is over you have to write a medium length, but very detailed stockholder report.  Like, I think I had 20 charts and graphs and stuff.  In the report you have to calculate all of the valuations and investor data for your company's stockholders.  You also have to write up a "lessons learned" type document summing up what you learned during the MBA program, create/modify/submit an appropriate LinkedIn profile, create/modify/submit an appropriate resume, and also submit a roster of professional or academic achievements that align with the WGU MBA program's core competencies.

I could see someone completing the capstone beginning to end in a couple weeks, especially if you're able to take a week off from work.  Since I screwed up my timing and didn't accelerate anything, I had an entire term to finish the capstone.  At least I was able to take it slow, and just did some work here and there on it until I was done.

Would I have done it again?  Maybe not.  Do I regret it?  A little bit... mostly because I don't necessarily need an MBA, I just wanted it.  I guess it's nice to have in my back pocket though.

• bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, and think of it like this:  You'd be here now anyway, but now you're here with an MBA vs without one!

Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno