Why is it so hard with 3 years of IT experience getting $15/hr helpdesk job?

Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
I currently am a Laptop Technician been in this role 2 years now in hopes the experience could lead to an entry level $15/hr help desk job. I got a year experience with an internship years ago doing PHP website development and a little of help desk work. At my current job I started at $12/hr as a Laptop Technician been getting raises, eventually my job could lead to $15/hr but I doubt it.

I got a Bachelor's in Computer Information Systems, A+, N+, S+, MCTS - Windows 7, Apple Certified Associate Mac Integration Basics, Microsoft Office certifications, ITIL. Even with all this it doesn't seem good enough for many employers I talk to over the phone for just $15/hr entry level help desk jobs. Some of the jobs are temp, some have no benefits, some are just part time.

One employer told me even though I had a lot of experience with laptops, for this $15/hr help desk job they wanted a lot more than that. They wanted at least two years of experience doing troubleshooting and fixing laptops, phones, desktops, servers. Also the wanted 2+ years of networking, mobile device management, database management, windows server admin, etc.

Then they tell me for job A+ cert is mandatory, I tell him yes I just renewed my A+, N+, S+ for next 3 years. I also tell him I have a bachelors in a computer degree. Unfortunately for just a $15/hr entry level help desk job this isn't good enough.

And sadly it seems I get the same answer I get from many IT employers I have talked to over the phone for IT jobs.

The only possible IT job offers I got were far way from me that would require me to do an expensive move I can't afford and my wife says I am not moving her away from her family.

With that said I have talked to all kinds of people about jobs and they say well they can get me a $15/hr or 30k year job by talking to someone they know, but they aren't IT jobs.

These are jobs as Roofers, Construction Workers, HVAC helpers, Laborers, local truck drivers. Im told from friends just talk to this guy I know and he will hire you for this $15/hr or 30k a year job without any previous experience doing this work.

So its frustrating with all my training and schooling, it is easier getting a better paying job that isn't in the computer field then trying to find a better paying job in the IT field.

I am as a last ditch attempt paying a lot of money to a professional resume writer in hopes this will help. If that doesn't do the trick... well I do have a CDL and always can go back to trucking if I want. I do have these job opportunities friends told me that aren't IT jobs, but they pay better than what I am doing now.
... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have people here review your resume before paying a pro to do it. I doubt a pro review is worthwhile.

Also, is it your location? I'm not even in a super high cost of living area and we start T1 helpdesk at $20/hour and I don't think any of them have had your quoted certs or degree. I know you said "expensive move", are you in the middle of nowhere and there just aren't decent IT jobs there?
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got a year experience with an internship years ago doing PHP website development

Have you considered looking into more of these opportunities? You do have 1 year of experience coding.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are three types of people involved with any job opportunity: you, the employer and other applicants and you can only control you. I'm not saying yours is, but we see a lot of half-a$$ed resumes come through here where when they get solid recommendations, don't want to change. Finding a good job takes effort, the best resumes are those that are individually tailored to the position. And it could be that you're being seen as "overqualified" More education and more certs = "someone who probably won't stay help-desk too long so let me find someone a bit less enthusiastic." Have you done any applications dropping the S+ and saying "some college" rather than the Bachelor's?
  • AODITAODIT Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    keep trying. the people who arent giving you a shot are being insincere imo. im sure someone will eventually give you a position better than what your looking for.
  • YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah unfortunately with a lot of these they want to make sure you're familiar with enterprise support processes like AD knowledge. Though if you're already a laptop tech it's nothing to learn. Could be something else they're not telling you too.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My first though is your probably viewed as over qualified. I can't offer a lot of advice on the job hunting yet as I have not started but I think you have shown some desire now you need to find someone to give you a shot. The first job is always the hardest.

As for the manual labor jobs. There can be some great career options there but if your just the laborer your gonna get tired moving into your 40s and 50s. I don't see a lot of 60 year old roofers just a few of the owners. Skilled trades have good value but labor intensive jobs tend to be most profitable in your younger years.

Don't give up!
  • HappyBearITHappyBearIT Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You may have to weigh the pros/cons of working away from home solo for a couple of years in order to climb the ladder vs working a dead end manual labor job that you apparently dread.

If you truly have the knowledge behind your certs and the soft skills to display that knowledge; you'd have a job within a week or two at the closest major city. If I were in your shoes, I would cut my resume down to just enough to meet the qualifications for help desk positions, and then create a second resume that is built for junior sys ad positions. Send those resumes out to local postings, and apply to positions in neighboring cities. If you have to move, go by yourself at first with a minimalist mindset. Once you are set up, bring your wife over during the weekends to introduce her to the city. This may go in your favor. If not, just spend every waking hour during the week climbing toward a senior admin/engineer role. These roles should enable you to land a similar spot back at home, or maybe even a telecommuting gig you can do from the home office. The first 2-3 years may be very tough, but it will make the rest of your life way more comfortable than laying shingles or shifting gears.
    CISSP|CCNP R&S|CCNA Security|CCNA Wireless|ITIL Foundations|VMware vSphere 6.5 Foundations|BS-Computer Science|MBA|
    Pursuing: Linux+|VCP-DCV|PCAP|
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How long have you looked? Where did you look? We have a much higher cost of living here, but I started off in Tier 1 Help Desk at $20/hr at an MSP. The first few years are going to suck without question, but I don't envy my in-house counterparts who probably still spend most of their days helping users move desks and what not.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like to me location is the problem. When it comes to any job you have to go where the money is, relocating can be hard but it's down how badly you want to be better paid.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Insane. My daughter makes that by serving kids at rocking jump which requires literally zero skills.

I blame H1B.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sounds like to me location is the problem. When it comes to any job you have to go where the money is, relocating can be hard but it's down how badly you want to be better paid.

I agree. Location is a major factor when it comes to landing an IT job. Followed by your resume/soft skills and finally a numbers game. Have you applied to 5 jobs vs 50.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Moon Child wrote: »
    I got a Bachelor's in Computer Information Systems, A+, N+, S+, MCTS - Windows 7, Apple Certified Associate Mac Integration Basics, Microsoft Office certifications, ITIL. Even with all this it doesn't seem good enough for many employers I talk to over the phone for just $15/hr entry level help desk jobs. Some of the jobs are temp, some have no benefits, some are just part time.

One employer told me even though I had a lot of experience with laptops, for this $15/hr help desk job they wanted a lot more than that. They wanted at least two years of experience doing troubleshooting and fixing laptops, phones, desktops, servers. Also the wanted 2+ years of networking, mobile device management, database management, windows server admin, etc.

Wow, They certainly want a lot for $15 an hour. Were are you looking? I bet if you moved to an area were your skills are more in demand, you can get a decent $20 to start job and get some experience under your belt. I make more than three times $15 a hour and have no database experience.

That's one of the down side of some fields, you have to move where the demand is. Something they don't tell you when going to college, Take Oil Rig workers for example they make around 100k a year, but good lucky finding a job in some place like NJ. The same hold true in IT, good luck finding a decent well paying IT job outside a major metropolitan area. They are few and far between. If you live in a small town in no where Kansas with nothing but other small towns around, your not going to find good paying IT jobs, period.

You want my advise, if moving isn't an option and want a good paying job, then abandon your dreams of getting into IT and get into the trades. Plumber, Electrician, HVAC, auto mechanic all are well paying jobs after you get some experience as a helper and transition into a licensed professional. Yes, it sucks spending all the money on a college degree, but unfortunately it's pretty common, Often people do not do the proper research when before picking a major, get a degree in environmental science only to find out all your qualified to do is be a Park Ranger for 38k a year.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Moon Child wrote: »
    I currently am a Laptop Technician been in this role 2 years now in hopes the experience could lead to an entry level $15/hr help desk job. I got a year experience with an internship years ago doing PHP website development and a little of help desk work. At my current job I started at $12/hr as a Laptop Technician been getting raises, eventually my job could lead to $15/hr but I doubt it.

Then they tell me for job A+ cert is mandatory, I tell him yes I just renewed my A+, N+, S+ for next 3 years. I also tell him I have a bachelors in a computer degree. Unfortunately for just a $15/hr entry level help desk job this isn't good enough.

And sadly it seems I get the same answer I get from many IT employers I have talked to over the phone for IT jobs.

The only possible IT job offers I got were far way from me that would require me to do an expensive move I can't afford and my wife says I am not moving her away from her family.

With that said I have talked to all kinds of people about jobs and they say well they can get me a $15/hr or 30k year job by talking to someone they know, but they aren't IT jobs.

These are jobs as Roofers, Construction Workers, HVAC helpers, Laborers, local truck drivers. Im told from friends just talk to this guy I know and he will hire you for this $15/hr or 30k a year job without any previous experience doing this work.

So its frustrating with all my training and schooling, it is easier getting a better paying job that isn't in the computer field then trying to find a better paying job in the IT field.

I am as a last ditch attempt paying a lot of money to a professional resume writer in hopes this will help. If that doesn't do the trick... well I do have a CDL and always can go back to trucking if I want. I do have these job opportunities friends told me that aren't IT jobs, but they pay better than what I am doing now.

A couple of things that might help.

Looks like you have a master's degree, correct?

-I would take that off your resume, because a lot of employers might think you will bail pretty quick for a better position. If he has a Master degree, why is he applying for this position?

Can you travel daily to a big city near by?
    -You may need to travel up to one hour one way to find the help desk job you want.

Are you working with any recruiters?
    -Recruiters can open doors that you cannot always open yourself.

Next Steps:
    I would look into seeing if you can work with a recruiter.

Is your resume posted on dice and searchable?

Question:
    Why hire a professional resume witter?
    -You can post your resume here, or have your previous college career guidance department go through it for free.

Focus on the positive!
    You're getting interviews for IT positions!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^^Agree 100% with networkStudent

If you are shooting for an Entry Job.... Drop the Masters from your resume.
    You might want to drop the bachelors too!

An "Associates" degree PLUS your current Experience PLUS your A+, Net+,Secuirty+ should get you some interviews.

Now, let's talk about what you didnt mention.
    It's been a while... but i seem to remember your story.
    I remember you had quite a few random, unrelated jobs?

Weren't you trying to be a school teacher, or something?
    And some other random field (truck driving? nursing?).
    you had a pretty interesting job history.
    (I guess i could go back and look..... but i dont feel like it :)

Anyway, you dont want to include all those "unrelated jobs" when applying for IT roles.
    People will think you are a whack-a-doodle and Wont Call you back
    lol

EDIT:
    okay, i guess i couldnt resist digging :]
    www. techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/130290-am-i-really-not-qualified-comcast-comtech-1-a.html

DOUBLE EDIT:
    Ah, here it is;
    ...reference puts OP in an economically suppressed area of the country not far from Chicago, Ft. Wayne and basically Northwest Indiana. A place where positions are sparse and cheap jobs are plentiful.

www. techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/129953-medical-medical-coding-good-mix-skills-3.html#post1122482

~its your Location; PERIOD
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just search OP's post history.
  • Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    Yeah the computer job openings at entry level and help desk where I am at pay a lot less than Chicago. Often part time, very low pay, little to no benefits. Most jobs not IT related in my area pay more and have benefits and are full time. 

I almost applied for a work from home help desk job... but one you had to have your own land line. I don't have my own landline I can't afford it. They wanted you sounded like to have some high tech expensive hardware for job, all I can afford is a used laptop from 2010 and my wife has a used Athlon Emac PC.

They also paid starting $12/hr with no benefits. They claimed online benefits come after a year contract is up and hire you as permanent employee, but the company got a lot of 1 star reviews online and reviewers said the company never gives benefits like they claim they do. Reviewers said no one stays at the job more then a few months, very high turnover.

If it didn't have some of the worst ratings online I have ever seen in my life I would of finished applying to the job. Past employees were giving the job one star, said was high stress for little pay or benefits, you had to work the hours they posted and your shift you worked changed week to week. So might work Midnights one week then day shift the next. Employees complained couldn't take any days off even if were sick, they would fire you.  

So the work from home IT job was looking like not a real option and it would be a cut in pay since at current job as Laptop Tech I get full benefits. If they offered like 30k for the job with benefits I would say the high stress and bad hours would be well worth it, because I will do just about any IT job for 30k or more a year... but $12/hr no benefits temp work.. um no.

My wife and I live out of a broken down trailer we pay $400/month for. Anytime I use the internet I have to go to library or McDonalds Free-Wifi because I can't afford Internet. We both drive old junkie cars used with 150K plus miles on because that is all we can afford. 

... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited November 2018
    thanks for sharing, MC...

it really forces me to put my life in perspective.

The work-from-home gig definitely sounded whack.
    Landline?? Give me a break.
    They probably want you to get a FAX machine too.

At this point, it feels like your only way 'out'... is to Get Outta Town.

Good Luck
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It sounds like it might be time to have a come to Jesus talk with the wife. She either wants to stay close to family and live in a trailer for the rest of her life or move somewhere else and have a decent life. If you have the certs and the degree that you have here in Utah my company pays 40-50k for helpdesk and you already sound more qualified than our helpdesk people. Sounds like you NEED to move.
  • Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We both drive old junkie cars used with 150K plus miles on...

Is that what I should call my Jeep with 178k miles?
    That car is no junkie, it has CHARACTER!!!
    Seriously, its time to fly. You have a CIS degree and certs? Some companies only look for people with degrees even if non IT as it shows either dedication, determination or ability to complete a long term task. Go get yours while the getting is still good.

• AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2018

Just going off your degree and certs you'd be worth at a minimum around $60k a year desktop support here in the SF bay area. I'm just basing this off of jobs I've worked at and interviewed for.
  • NOVA_USANOVA_USA Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you on a job board?  Monster, Dice, Indeed???

edited November 2018
    I got a year experience with an internship years ago doing PHP website development

Have you considered looking into more of these opportunities? You do have 1 year of experience coding.

Funny thing is even though I am putting resumes in and pursuing help desk jobs I get contacted by more employers for PHP programming jobs then help desk jobs. I have applied to any PHP programming jobs, yet I have got contacted by 5 employers for PHP programming jobs. The reason haven't pursued these opportunities based off job descriptions I don't think I have enough experience or am qualified for those PHP jobs. I don't want to jump into something and just end up getting fired from it because can't handle the job.
    Problem is they want some senior level guy with like 10 years of experience not a newbie with just a 1 year internship in PHP. The programmers were easy on me and gave me easy PHP and web development projects. A lot of times I would edit there code or fix websites. I did a lot of stuff with AJAX, PHP, Javascript, DHTML, SQL, XML, and a little Pearl. So I was not at there level creating everything from scratch. I don't know if they know this when they contact me and say based off my resume "they think I would be a good fit for the position". I pull up the job description and read 10 years of experience in PHP and all the things they want me to be able to do and I feel like **** my pants.
    edited November 2018

Funny thing is I haven't applied to any PHP jobs, yet in past couple months have been contacted by 5 employers for PHP jobs who say they think I would be a "good fit for this position". Problem is a lot of these job descriptions says needs like 7-10 years of experience and the ability to do a lot more then I can do. I just had 1 year of PHP as an intern. I was not at the level the programmers I helped were. They took it easy on me and gave me easy projects. I would add things to there code, update a database, or update a website. I assisted them with websites using PHP, Javascript, XML, SQL, AJAX, Pearl, and DHTML. So I don't bother contacting them back because based off job description I don't think I could do the work or would be qualified for the job.

I have created websites for a small fee for people who know I can make websites for them through the years and created websites for nonprofit charitable organizations free of charge using all the skills I learned on the internship. These were much smaller scale websites though and not at the level and ability these PHP job postings are expecting me to be at, I am assuming. I don't want to jump into a PHP job only to get fired from it because I can't handle the work and not at the level they assumed I might be at.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□

Funny thing is I haven't applied to any PHP jobs, yet in past couple months have been contacted by 5 employers for PHP jobs who say they think I would be a "good fit for this position". Problem is a lot of these job descriptions says needs like 7-10 years of experience and the ability to do a lot more then I can do.

This is typical India recruiter BS, they use a shotgun approach looking for candidates. I have the perfect job for you located in LA, when you live and work in NY. There's no concept of distance with these guys. What's worse, they don't seem to care, if they truly were interested in doing there job well, they would educate themselves US location and reasonable communing distances for job candidates.  

I got a call the other day, were responding to the job you applied for, I told him I didn't apply for any jobs, he responds with what job do you want. I just hung up.

Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    edited November 2018
    Yeah they sounded like they were from India to me. One guy calls me up telling me he thinks I am a perfect candidate for a PHP position at the senior level for 80k a year but no benefits are offered. A few offered me similar sounding pitches for PHP programming jobs all across the United States way away from me.

Another guy with an Indian accent calls me up says I sound like a perfect candidate for a computer security job working on government contract out in Virginia. He claims would be 50k a year, but would have to relocate out there. Asks if I have a security clearance or if I can obtain one and if my Security+ CE is up to date and I tell him yes. I never bothered following through because I figured it was just some scam. If something sounds too good or salary sounds too high it probably is a scam.
    I think you can get $15.00 or more for a help desk job.  

Getting $15.00 an hour or more for help desk is defiantly doable.

Amazon is paying it's workers a minimum wage of $15.00
    https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-10-02/amazon-s-15-minimum-wage-will-change-how-americans-see-work

Are you working with any recruiters from Robert Half or Tek Systems?  
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    edited November 2018
    Yes I have talked with Robert Half and Tek System recruiters. I have actually applied for entry level help desk jobs through Robert Half but was told by recruiters I was not qualified for the job. One recruiter told me from Robert Half since my Computer Degree and previous experience working with PHP is more then 2 years old they can no longer count that, but could count the Laptop Technician experience. Another Robert Half recruiter told me if I got my CCNA that would really help getting foot in door with a lot of IT jobs. I talk to a recruiter with Tek Systems too and unfortunately since I had no previous work experience with Device Mobile Management I was not qualified for the entry level help desk jobs I applied to. She said I needed at least 2 years minimum work experience using Device Mobile Management to qualify for the entry level help desk jobs I was applying to. Robert Half did have some possible jobs, but these were really short contracts with no benefits, work a few days here or a few weeks here or 2 months here. I told them I am not losing my full time job as a Laptop Technician with full benefits for both me and my wife for those kind of jobs you can't live off of that.

I actually did get calls from employers for entry level help desk jobs pay range like 30-40k a year seeing if I was interested in an interview, but they were far away like 2+ hours away from me and  would have to relocate to take those jobs. These were not recruiters, but the actual employers calling me. These I felt were real jobs, unlike the other very high salary pitches I got from guys with Indian Accents.

With relocation my wife and I have a concern that if I relocate to a location for a better paying job, but for some reason it doesn't work out then what do we do? If I relocate and I can't do the work they want or employer decides I don't have the skills they want after a couple weeks on the job, then what do I do? My wife and I are really screwed then and we got come up with money for rent and bills in a city that probably has a way higher cost of living then where we live now.

Moon Child  says:

If I relocate and I can't do the work they want or employer decides I don't have the skills they want after a couple weeks on the job, then what do I do?

Moon Child  

You need to have discussion with your wife first and tell her that you want to get an IT job, and you may need to move to obtain a job.  Get her opinion and see how she feels about moving to another state, city..ect in order for you to get an IT job.  She needs to be on board first, before making the move.  During your discussion, you may need to talk about what you would you do if the IT job doesn't work out.  Would you look for another IT job, go back to teaching ( I think you said you were a teacher once), Go back to truck driving, or go into some sort of trade?

You need to save up some money, just in case things don't work out.  I would say try to save, at least 3-6 months of your current salary.  Also, you could stay in the state where your new job is located for 2 weeks, and see how things go before bringing your wife over.

You have companies offering you full time help desk jobs.  Honestly, you could easily pull $30,000-$40,000 just with your certs and education alone.  

No matter what you decided to do, you should have your wife on board with you on your decision.  You guys are a team.

I hope this helps.

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • pHumphreypHumphrey Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was in a similar situation one year ago. I know how frustrating it is. Just keep in mind to not to give up and don't try to demand less