Failed 70-697

danielcreeddanielcreed Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
Interesting enough I passed the server exams 70-740(3 attempts).. the 70-741 and the 70-698 first time. But now I failed the 70-697 twice. I watched cbtnuggets and got measureup practice tests. It's a hard one for sure. I did write twice in two weeks though and only prepared in 3 weeks. I think my lack of studying is my point of failure. I normally over prepare but I think my confidence is getting the better of me.

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Persistence pays off. You can do this!

I'm about a week away from retaking the 70-741 and I am only about 70% confident but if I fail I'll book it again for December.

Good Luck!
  • danielcreeddanielcreed Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks man. I think I'll rebook for 2-3 weeks. Study alot harder I only got the green book this week so normally I study the manual more. This time is going to be it. I know it. You got be really prepared for this one .

Good luck with the 70-741 it's a tough one but it's beatable for sure.
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interesting enough I passed the server exams 70-740(3 attempts).. the 70-741 and the 70-698 first time. But now I failed the 70-697 twice. I watched cbtnuggets and got measureup practice tests. It's a hard one for sure. I did write twice in two weeks though and only prepared in 3 weeks. I think my lack of studying is my point of failure. I normally over prepare but I think my confidence is getting the better of me.

3 weeks to study for this exam is crazy. Took me 4 months to study for 70-697, its not an exam to be taken lightly.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

I understand 3 weeks was a little low. I finished the CBT nuggets course on the exam and did practice tests. I guess lack of material in the CBT nuggets course. Im thinking of taking the ITDVDS course but a little unsure. It covers everything. I like to watch videos and read the book.

Is this a good strategy I want to complete this by Christmas. I'm thinking one month more.

I wasn't far off for my first attempt my score was 675. But still not a pass.
    I understand 3 weeks was a little low. I finished the CBT nuggets course on the exam and did practice tests. I guess lack of material in the CBT nuggets course. Im thinking of taking the ITDVDS course but a little unsure. It covers everything. I like to watch videos and read the book.

Is this a good strategy I want to complete this by Christmas. I'm thinking one month more.

I wasn't far off for my first attempt my score was 675. But still not a pass.

Problem with this exam, its forever evolving so trying to keep on top of things when studying is difficult, CBT Nuggets helped me alot for this exam and others I used them for but Technet, now called Microsoft Docs https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/ is the best source. Also try looking at EDX https://www.edx.org/course?course=all and search for courses you will find relating to the exam.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• br456br456 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

First time writer, long time reader. 
    I just became MCSA Windows 10 a few days ago after finally passing the (brutal) 70-697 exam. I passed my 698 the first time with a somewhat comfortable 768 score. I failed the 697 the first time scoring 600. The second time, I scored 707--a very narrow, but qualifying pass. 

From what I can share with you all, this is the toughest exam I've ever taken. The biggest point of struggle for me was the category Remote Access. That particular category is the one that was called "ever changing", and it is very true. To effectively choose between the ever-evolving technologies and select the "right one" for a scenario WILL come up on this exam, and it is very tough to make the right choice, because the choices are so similar, and they will blur together sometimes. 

My suggestion? Focus heartily on the other categories and gain a close-mastery of them, and then just gather as much current, relevant data as you can for the Remote Access category and double down on it...
    You'll be asked tough questions that aren't covered in the books or videos, questions that are expected to be answered by people who have at least 5 years experience in IT, so make sure that you truly understand the high-level material, because you'll need that framework to make good, educated guesses sometimes as well--sort of using the art of deduction.

Anyway, good luck on the exam--this is an important MCSA to get because it proves competency using state of the art technologies and Powershell Automation (I recommend taking a free Powershell course online before taking the exam, by the way). They expect you to begin using Powershell professionally for automation after this exam and that is a highly sought after skill for employers. Well, this is the exam that preps you for it.
    Thanks br456 for the encouragement. I am preparing as we speak for the exam. A little nervous as I write next weekend. Seems like a tough one. I find it hard to wrap your head around the amount of content. Either way I am going in with a clear head. 
  • backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll also add my vote for former TechNet/MS Docs for filling in any gaps. Good luck!
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
    I just passed the 70-697 wow was intense but a pass is a pass. 
    Congrats
    Certifications: