70-697 and 70-698 Being Retired

sensitivestoicsensitivestoic Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
From what I see online Microsoft is retiring the 70-697 and 70-698 exams on March 31st, 2019. As someone who is new to the Microsoft certifications, how should this affect my plans if I'm planning to take the exams soon and aiming to complete both the Mobility and Productivity (Windows Server 2016) paths?
Certs Achieved: CompTIA A+ | Net+ | Sec+ | Project+ | MCSA Windows 10
Currently Studying:
  MCSE Server 2016
Future Goals: CAPM/PMP

Comments

• sensitivestoicsensitivestoic Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    After a lot of digging, I could only see a single sentence stating that the 70-698 is retiring for now. I'm guessing this is down to Windows 10's constant changes to the OS now that it is a WAAS, so the exam editions may need updating? The exams should return but I couldn't see anything on how this will affect the current MCSA/MCSE paths. If you are concerned you can either try to smash the exams out before this date or wait for the new editions. It also didn't say anything about the Mobility cert so if you did gain the MCSA before this date it shouldn't be an issue. It might be best to contact MS directly to clear this up, as it's not currently listed under the future retiring exams page.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/learning/retired-certification-exams.aspx

This won't have any effect on your Server certs.
    Thanks for the insight. I'm already pretty far along in my 70-698 and 70-697 studies so it's really difficult for me to wring my hands until they get the new certifications prepped. But then I also have to do an elective to achieve MCSE. That transition concerns me, because I'm not sure if the 70-695 or other options will be valid or how that determines how much more work I have to do for MCSE certification after (hopefully) passing the 70-698 and 70-697.

I finished the entire MCSA 70-698 and 70-697 Cert Guide from Pearson IT Certification (Poulton) and am diving into some CBT Nuggets trial videos for the exams. Not quite as certain what resources I should use to accurately assess my preparedness for the exams. For CompTIA I just always used Professor Messer and the highest rated book on Amazon. Microsoft seems a different beast. CBT Nuggets seems to be a bit more bare bones/ the basics rather than a rigorous prep resource for the exam.
    Currently Studying:
      MCSE Server 2016

If you have spent a lot of time doing both exams then you could just get them both done before March? Shouldn't take you too long. Passed the 70-698 in 2 months just using CBTnuggets and MeasureUps, with a couple of labs now and again. I recommend doing a few practice tests with MeasureUp before going into the exam. It will highlight your weak areas so you can touch up before the real thing.

Again, I couldn't see anything regarding any of the electives changing, so if you are concerned speak to MS directly. However, I would have imagined they would show up in the 'retired exams' page if they are being removed/changed.

I noticed that Measure Up quotes Pearson as a company. Some Pearson practice exam engines were included with my Poulton book. I wonder if those are the same thing? The price tag can sure ratchet up quick. $119x2 for Measure Up on 70-698 and 70-697 practice exams; $330 for the actual exams; $60 for review books. That's $509 in the hope that I pass both exams first try. Hoping to see where I can cut costs if possible.

It's bizarre because I looked at your link and it is almost identical to the exam retirement page I was on. However, yours doesn't show 70-698 and 70-697 being retired. I got the link from another post in this forum and that link showed the exams on a Microsoft official page being retired at the end of March 2019. Guess I just have to charge forward either way!
    Currently Studying:
      MCSE Server 2016

I'm curious how Get Certified 4 Less is able to offer these bundles at a much more competitive price. I assume it is the Microsoft Exam Replay voucher you're suggesting? I like this idea. It gives me a much cheaper cost while providing a lot of cushion in case I struggle the first time around.

With the 50% off the next exam would that be through Microsoft or Get Certified 4 Less? Thanks for all of you're suggestions! It's really helping me to feel more confident about approaching this long-term certification path.
    Currently Studying:
      MCSE Server 2016

• shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□

Anyone know what they will be replacing it with? It couldn't find anything official from MS.

Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • dpad24dpad24 Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    New user here. 

I've been studying to get the MCSA:Windows 10 and maybe even going for the MCSE.

I'm a few weeks away from taking the 70-698. 

From what they say

"MD-100 and MD-101 replace 70-695, 70-697, and 70-698.
    More specifically, MD-100 is the replacement for 698 and MD-101 is the replacement for 695 and 697.
    This means that if you have taken 698, you will only have to take MD-101 to earn the new Modern Desktop Admin certification. We will be sharing more details when these exams are in beta later in 2018."

Should I take the 70-698 and then wait for the MD-101, or take the 70-698 and try to get the 70-697, and maybe 70-695 before the deadline?
    edited November 2018
    dpad24 said:
    New user here. 

I've been studying to get the MCSA:Windows 10 and maybe even going for the MCSE.

I'm a few weeks away from taking the 70-698. 

From what they say

"MD-100 and MD-101 replace 70-695, 70-697, and 70-698.
    More specifically, MD-100 is the replacement for 698 and MD-101 is the replacement for 695 and 697.
    This means that if you have taken 698, you will only have to take MD-101 to earn the new Modern Desktop Admin certification. We will be sharing more details when these exams are in beta later in 2018."

Should I take the 70-698 and then wait for the MD-101, or take the 70-698 and try to get the 70-697, and maybe 70-695 before the deadline?

According to others they believe there should be enough time to get both 70-698 and 70-697 squeezed in before the March 2019 deadline. That's exactly the same boat I'm in. I'm more worried if I have time to get 70-695 in too to achieve the MCSE Mobility certification before March 2019 retirement for these certifications.

What resources have you been using for the 70-698?
    Currently Studying:
      MCSE Server 2016

• PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What does that mean for your pocket book, when exams are retiring/retired?

I've been studying for 70-698, hope to test Jan/Feb.
    Then study and test for 70-697, which will take several more months. It will take me beyond March 2019, I'm sure.

If I pay for 70-698 and 70-697 exams now, and they retire ...
    Do I pay to do "upgrade" exams later?
    Why not just wait for the new exams and pay once later? I'm thinking it'll be cheaper this way?
    -Of course, you spend more time studying, and have nothing to show on paper yet.
  • PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Panther said:
    What does that mean for your pocket book, when exams are retiring/retired?

I've been studying for 70-698, hope to test Jan/Feb.
    Then study and test for 70-697, which will take several more months. It will take me beyond March 2019, I'm sure.

If I pay for 70-698 and 70-697 exams now, and they retire ...
    Do I pay to do "upgrade" exams later?
    Why not just wait for the new exams and pay once later? I'm thinking it'll be cheaper this way?
    -Of course, you spend more time studying, and have nothing to show on paper yet.
    I guess maybe another strategy:
    Complete the 70-698 and 697 exams.
    Their replacements (beta exams) are planned for late 2018, according to hxxps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/community-blog-post.aspx?BlogId=8&Id=375158

See if you can participate in the beta exams:
    Which according to the following, is offered at 80% discount, hxxps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/certification-exams.aspx
    I'm not sure what "beta" exam means on your resume though. I guess if it means you're growing professionally, then that's a good thing.

I can't post links, so replace the xx with tt