Switching careers within IT advice

anfieldanfield Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited November 2018 in IT Jobs / Degrees
Looking for some advice as to what to do. I have been trying for a while to switch careers within IT. Basically I have been working with a GUI based ITSM software now for about 8 years (consultant), its a niche skill and basically near all of it is configured through the GUI. Recently my company switched from that to another newer ITSM software. Again this is a, niche skill set, where most of the software is configured via the GUI (save some small bits of javascript here and there). 

I am looking to make a move to anything more "technical" role basically where there is much more of a scripting component , programmer, developer or systems admin even , something like that(in any language basically - the more popular the better). At my current work the opportunities are very limited. Doesnt seem to be any options in that area. In the past ive studied and then stopped etc, went through cycles. Now I am studying python consistently with a goal of learning it and having programs to show for it. (Short term in the next year or so I will concentrate on javascript, python and some bash shell) Also this year I did write some basic automated tests for the ITSM software in python with selenium.

As far as certs in the last couple of years I did comptia linux + and puppet. I studied ansible a lot but failed that one though.
In relation to skills I would say I picked up some good troubleshooting skills and a good idea of the "big picture" in relation to different systems architecture and how to troubleshoot integrations etc..

I would say I have beginners javascript, linux shell and python at the moment. 

How do I go about getting the role I want? Hoping to get something really soon. With my current resume, I dont think companies would even consider me for the roles I want

(In my late 30's)

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Start sending out resumes on the jobs you want now, just to see if you get any nibbles. You will be surprised by the responses you will get. I have changed 'career' paths many times over the years.  (and it doesn't matter if you are in your late 30s).
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • anfieldanfield Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks..Did you have the experience they wanted in those areas or were you learning what was needed? Or did they train you up?
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I plan to switch careers in the next year. I have been planning it for a long time and I can't yet say how it is going to go. What I will say is that every job ad I have ever written I have asked for more then I needed. Never have I asked for less and hoped someone better would apply.

From what I can tell every IT related job ad fits this same model. Ask for the world and just see who applies. If you don't make the cut don't worry it's just a numbers game.

If you are actively looking for work now I suggest you focus on one thing and get pretty good at it. You can sell that skill in an interview and express the willingness to transfer that knowledge to the job requirements.

Good Luck!
    Yes, someone said to me its more of a "wish list" which I hope is true. Yes its been a long time coming for me also. I am thinking I will focus on python
    I learned as I developed in the position. For instance, in the position I have now when I started, I knew nothing about palo alto firewalls, now I learned alot about it. Still eager to learn more.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Let the companies you send your resume to decide whether or not they'll consider you. If you're serious, what's to lose?
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    Good point. I was just thinking a couple of things 1) My resume doesnt look anything like a programmers resume and 2) applying for roles and dealing with recruiters also takes time, which I thought I would spend on my skills instead for now. I think youre right though, I should try a few applications and see. I put my resume on indeed and all I get is emails about what I currently do, which of course is no good to me
    learn programming in your spare time...
    Thats what I am doing
    and mention that when you interview. 
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    You have received some valuable advice here, please do think about those. I would add any specialty of AWS under need to learn radar, since  the tech world is rapidly moving into cloud. You could buy some courses on Udemy, some of there courses are really good.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
    edited November 2018
    Ive bought a few python ones and a javascript one on udemy so far. aws is maybe on the radar for next year, the entry level cert.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I get the sense that you have an interest in being a developer, is that correct? If so and you live in or new a major US city with a tech startup scene, you may want to consider investing in a developer coding boot camp. There is job market, especially among small tech startups that do recruit and hire entry-level web developers out of boot camps.

You may find these links useful. Word of caution though - the market does have a lot of bootcamp graduates, so if you do want to be a developer, make sure you have a decent portfolio of coding work.

Also - I did come across blog articles saying that it can take anywhere from 3-6 months to get that first developer job - so you will have to be persistent.

Yes definitely. Yes I am in a big US city. That is something I will look into. At the moment I am leaning towards doing it myself though. Another factor is I am in a mid/senior role now though, guessing I might have to drop down a bit for my next role though, but we'll see.
    Its a general question but do you think I would most likely have to take a drop in level and pay to make this switch happen also?
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited November 2018
    anfield said:
    Its a general question but do you think I would most likely have to take a drop in level and pay to make this switch happen also?
    You may not want to think about it in that way. If you are switching into an entirely different role, the levels may not necessarily align and neither will the pay scales. For example, an entry level developer at a tech startup may have an average salary that's equal to the average salary of another IT position which is more senior.

I suspect that on average - you probably could expect a drop in level - but as for pay - it depends on what you are making today.

• UrbanBobUrbanBob Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah it sucks when you get stuck working with a niche as it can pigeon hole you. 
    I would look at jobs you want and find out how to leverage the skills you have and the ones your working on to make your resume look like you are qualified and able to do that job.

I use to work with sql a lot and for a while the only people I had that were interested in me were sql jobs.
    I hate sql btw and would never want to do it full time
    Yea if what I do currently was some part of the target job, that would make it easier. It does seem like a long road but I'm determined