PJ'S WGU Progress Thread - MBA (started November 2018)

PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers CompTIA, EC-Council, ISACA, (ISC)², MicrosoftUSAPosts: 879Member ■■■■■■□□□□
This is my second WGU accountability thread. My first was for the MSCSIA.

My history with Western Governors University is that I also have the BSIT in Network Admin and the MS in Cybersec and Info Ass. I decided to try for the MBA to get the letters after my name, and it turns out an MBA is a big deal where I work... it's an unofficial prerequisite for any type of supervisory position. Also, WGU's business programs are now ASCBP accredited so that's cool.

I originally enrolled for the MBA IT Management program until I found out that it meant writing 5 more papers than the vanilla MBA, since the IT Management specialization adds some IT-based coursework based on the PMBOK. I switched to the plain MBA with no specialization because I felt that it would be a more expedient route and less of a hassle. I also felt like I don't need an IT focus with my MBA since I already have other technology credentials.

Term started on November 1, but I got a late start because I was still studying for the CISM exam. I passed that last week, so now that CISM is out of the way...

Currently Studying:
C202 - Managing Human Capital

Incomplete Classes:
C200 - Managing Organizations
C204 - Management Communication
C212 - Marketing
C213 - Accounting for Decision Makers
C206 - Ethical Leadership
C207 - Data-Driven Decision Making
C215 - Operations Management
C211 - Global Economics for Managers
C216 - MBA Capstone

Complete Classes:
N/A

icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Posts: 4,160Member ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice! Good luck! Look forward to updates on your progress!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Gaming Tech Expert Silicon Valley, CAPosts: 4,012Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63, GCP Architect
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers CompTIA, EC-Council, ISACA, (ISC)², Microsoft USAPosts: 879Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    Knocked out C202 Managing Human Capital.  It's an HR class.  This class would only be hard if you have never worked in an environment with a professional human resources department, or if you just never paid ANY attention to HR at all.  I did really well on the exam, despite feeling uneasy about 30% or so of my answers.

C204 is coming up next.  Looks like this class involves creating a video in which I present a PPT.  Not sure how to do this without a projector.  Huh.

Currently Studying:
    C204 - Management Communication

Incomplete Classes:
    C200 - Managing Organizations
    C212 - Marketing
    C213 - Accounting for Decision Makers
    C206 - Ethical Leadership
    C207 - Data-Driven Decision Making
    C215 - Operations Management
    C211 - Global Economics for Managers
    C216 - MBA Capstone

Complete Classes:
    C202 - Managing Human Capital
  • EANxEANx Posts: 1,078Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited November 2018
    C204 is coming up next.  Looks like this class involves creating a video in which I present a PPT.  Not sure how to do this without a projector.  Huh.
    Does your work have a smart board or a TV used as a monitor? That's how I did it when I was working on my Bachelor's. Keyboard on a table in front of you (if you don't have a clicker) and point.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers CompTIA, EC-Council, ISACA, (ISC)², Microsoft USAPosts: 879Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    EANx said:
    Does your work have a smart board or a TV used as a monitor? That's how I did it when I was working on my Bachelor's. Keyboard on a table in front of you (if you don't have a clicker) and point.
    Thanks for the tips!  I actually dug into the courseware a little bit more and apparently we're supposed to use the Panopto platform to do something similar to Adobe Connect video.  I have a little bit of time to get the video done, I'm taking the mentor's advice and working on Task 2 first to make Task 1 easier.  I should have it all done this weekend, hopefully.  :#
    Well, I had some personal drama pop up that took a toll on my mental state. Ended up with 2 weeks left in my term and two classes to finish: C200 and C204.

Put my head down and passed them both with one day to spare.  Now I'm taking a term break.  Hopefully I'll be ready in a few months to finish this off.
  • bermovickbermovick Posts: 1,134Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited May 17
    Interesting thread, PJ.  I've considered whether I should pursue the MBA as well, after finishing the BS:IT Sec and MS:CSIA  (and withdrawing from BS:CS), as I'm kindof at a crossroads -- do I stay in IT or move away from that.  I'm getting older and some personal things have caused me to evaluate moving away from the 'hands on' roles of IT.

I know your original post discussed this a bit, but if you wouldn't mind, would you care to elaborate if there was any other driving decision to pursue the MBA?  When I think of doing it, I start to think it's a lot of investment in time and money for something I may end up finding I don't care for.

Relevant youtube link:

Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
    Hey Bermovick!  Well there were a few things that made me want to pursue an MBA.  One was the fact that damn near everyone where I work has at least one master's degree, and even many of the administrative assistants here have MBA's.  It's just the environment I am in.  The other consideration of mine is that one day I will not be able to keep up in the tech world.  I simply won't be spry enough, and I will need to transition to a role that is less dependent upon churning through training and certs.  Lastly, I just kinda wanted to have MBA after my name because I think it pairs well with my MS and certifications in the job I have.  It's a great place to work, I just need to bring myself up to a level (on paper) that will make me competitive if I pursue promotions.