Options

Will Earning the security+ open up entry level security jobs

keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,
I have been currently in a IT service desk analyst role for a big Healthcare company for about 5 years now. I currently have a BSTM (bachelors in technical management) but i do not have any certificates. I'm looking to get into the cybersecurity field and wanted to start off with Security +. If I did receive my security + certificate, will that open the doors for any entry level cybersecurity jobs? what kind? Or should I go for something more broader like CISSP, Cysa + , etc. so that I have a more better opportunity. Knowing its my first certificate, i just didn't want to waste my time, but I also did not want to jump into something I can't handle right away. 

thanks all! 

Comments

• Options
    COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Do Security+ first followed by CISSP, and my be CCSP or AWS along the line. Security+  will open your door to DOD and DHS jobs.

DoD Directive 8570.1
    IAT Level IIAT Level IIIAT Level III
    CompTIA A+ CompTIA Network+ SSCPGSEC CompTIA Security+ SCNP SSCPCISA GSE SCNA CISSP (or Associate) GCIH
    IAM Level IIAM Level IIIAM Level III
    CAP GISF GSLC CompTIA Security+CAP GSLC CISM CISSP (or Associate)GLSC CISM CISSP (or Associate)
    IASAE IIASAE IIIASAE III

CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It might...security jobs usually want a lot of experience in IT, as well as certs, and I only have an A.A.S. degree in CIS...Definitely pursuing the Sec+ could get you in the door, but I would also suggest tackling some networking certs too (CCNA/Net+).  It will make a more solid foundation of your skill set if you have both IMO.  

CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't even bother going for CISSP. People tend to forget about the 5 year security domain requirements before you can get certified. Taking it early won't help you either because you're not allowed to say your an associate of CISSP. It's a great certification with a lot of popularity, but it has hard requirements.

Like they said, it's hard to get into your first security position because most want experience over everything else, but Security+ got me my first security position so I'd definitely recommend it. Since CyberSecurity is what you want to get into I'd consider taking CySA+ or going for CCNA CyberOps after Security+.

Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.
  • Options
    RinzlerRinzler Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would have to agree with getting Security+ then go for the beastly CISSP.  Good luck...   :)
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am pretty sure the CISSP focuses on management/policies, and not technical aspect.  SO, also take that into consideration.  I have no desire to take CISSP because it is not technical.  If a cert is focusing on technical writing, documentation, then I won't be taking it.  I tried the Project+ studying & OMG it was the most boring material ever, as I won't be going after Proj+ or PMP.  I get it, you need these types of jobs in IT though, as documentation is important.  
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bachelor's degree, a CISSP, and . . .  5 years of service desk.

I think you'd have a hard time landing a security role with that combination because the work experience doesn't match the education/cert experience at all. At least it's not a PhD, that combination would look even weirder on a resume.

Have you tried applying to security positions internally? I'd see what your current employer wants to see you have to get hired. Try talking to one of the managers over in that department to get a feel for who they like to hire. I'd even consider trying to getting promoted to a sysadmin position internally as a next step. Security+ sounds like a decent idea for now in the mean time.

A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    edited November 2018

Get your Sec+ and an OS cert (MCP, CCENT, Linux+) so you can land a low level Cybersecurity position. While you are in that initial position move on to Cysa/MCSA/CCNA.

Save your money and time if you do not have the 5 years of domain experience that is required for CISSP. CASP is probably a better option if you find Sec+ to be fairly easy.

Good luck!

Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Options
    thank you very much
  • Options
    Thank you all! What is the best books and material to study for the Security + exam? 
  • Options
    kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have not taken SY0-501 because of CE but you should be able to prepare for the test with the official Comptia SY0-501 guidebook. Check Amazon and Comptia for the material. Also get on Udemy and try to get one of the discount study courses. 
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Options
    TheComputerPlumberTheComputerPlumber Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kaiju said:

Get you Sec+ and an OS cert (MCP, CCENT, Linux+) so you can land a low level Cybersecurity position. While you are in that initial position move on to Cysa/MCSA/CCNA.

Save your money and time if you do not have the 5 years of domain experience that is required for CISSP. CASP is probably a better option if you find Sec+ to be fairly easy.

Good luck!

Wow man thanks for that great advice as well.