Passed Security + Today - Helpful Tips

technewtechnew Member Posts: 35 ■■■□□□□□□□
Passed security + 
First of all I wanna say that this forum has been a great help and every time I needed some guidance, members of this forum have helped me thru it. 

I don't have any IT background and the only certification before this was my network+.

What i used to study for security +?
1. Darril Gibson book  - awesome book
2. Prof. Messer's videos
3. Darril Gibson practice content - premium content on his website- highly recommended
4. Measure Practice test - $120
knowledge from network + was somewhat helpful. 
I summarized each chapter in my own words of darril gibson's book. I kept reading the notes until i understood and memorized them well. Last 2 weeks before the exam, took hundreds of practice questions and went over the concepts that I missed!!! This tested my knowledge and re-enforced some of the concepts in my head.

Most of the question were wordy and scenario based. 
Throughout the exam I kept thinking that I failed it because I wasn't sure about quite a few questions. Score 820/900 which was surprising to me 

Waited till the end to work on my PBQs (had almost 15-20 min left to do them). No subnetting questions on the exam but that could have been only the version i took. Exam tests from a huge question bank i think. 

I found exam pretty tough but of course I don't have any experience in IT. I was surprised with the score of 820 though. 

Very relieved and I guess its time to celebrate and then take on the next one!

cheers!

Comments

• COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass!! and for sharing your experience.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! A pass is a pass!
    Thanks for sharing your experience and tips!
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! In my opinion, Network+ is a tougher exam and that definitely helps you be better prepared.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • BilaaBilaa Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats your efforts and hard working I hope you’re ready to sellout the documents pls I need to buy it? 
    Thanks 
  • technewtechnew Member Posts: 35 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. Will start preparing for CEH now. 
  • cyber_procyber_pro Registered Users Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good morning. I am gathering the study materials recommended by everyone on the forums. I have 2 questions. 
    1. What is the name of Darril Gibson’s book and iOS app?
    2. What is the name of Darril Gibson’s website with all the resources for preparing for security+? 

Thank you

CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-501 Study Guide 4th Edition

Won’t let me post the link here but search getcertified get ahead on google. You will see his website. 
  • cyber_procyber_pro Registered Users Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    technew said:
    Passed security + 
    First of all I wanna say that this forum has been a great help and every time I needed some guidance, members of this forum have helped me thru it. 

I don't have any IT background and the only certification before this was my network+.

What i used to study for security +?
    1. Darril Gibson book  - awesome book
    2. Prof. Messer's videos
    3. Darril Gibson practice content - premium content on his website- highly recommended
    4. Measure Practice test - $120
    knowledge from network + was somewhat helpful. 
    I summarized each chapter in my own words of darril gibson's book. I kept reading the notes until i understood and memorized them well. Last 2 weeks before the exam, took hundreds of practice questions and went over the concepts that I missed!!! This tested my knowledge and re-enforced some of the concepts in my head.

Most of the question were wordy and scenario based. 
    Throughout the exam I kept thinking that I failed it because I wasn't sure about quite a few questions. Score 820/900 which was surprising to me 

Waited till the end to work on my PBQs (had almost 15-20 min left to do them). No subnetting questions on the exam but that could have been only the version i took. Exam tests from a huge question bank i think. 

I found exam pretty tough but of course I don't have any experience in IT. I was surprised with the score of 820 though. 

Very relieved and I guess its time to celebrate and then take on the next one!

cheers!
    Are there time limits on the Gibson material on his website or do you get to download all of the information? It seems i recall seeing something about 60 day access. 
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam