Is it Possible to skip Helpdesk and apply only to Desktop Experience role?

IT_helperIT_helper Registered Users Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□

So I just got my Comptia A+ recently. I have some questions.

Is it possible to skip Helpdesk technician and land a Desktop Support Technician role??

I want to apply only to Desktop Support Technician role.

What are my chances of landing a Desktop Support role with no experience?

Comments

• EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on your experience and where you are. Someone who has been fixing computers for friends and family for years is more likely to skip the call center as will someone in a location with more demand than people. So you're more likely to skip it in the DC area than you would in Podunk Iowa.

But yes, certainly possible.
  • IT_helperIT_helper Registered Users Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□

Howdy Eanx! I have been fixing my friends and family windows base PC for years. 

Building windows base computers is my favorite hobbies. I think I build 30-40 PC in my whole life.

One time my friend needed 8 PC build for business need and I put together those PC for her.

That sounds good right? If i have a job fixing PC for living my life would be very satisfying!

As a hiring manager, that's the type of person I would want working on PCs. As you progress throughout your career, realize that passion for the work will sometimes help in an interview. For now, it's "I've built several dozen computers and helped people" while later it will be "I build a home lab to run VMware and several Windows/Linux servers".

I will always hire passion over certs, passion makes coming to work enjoyable.
    I appreciate your advice, thank you! :)
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    Absolutely, they are both entry-level positions.  Help Desk generally requires a little more advanced soft skill set, in working with the end-user population. That being said, I've also seen Help Desk, System Analyst, Desktop Support, Support Technician, etc. all used interchangeably as well, so I think it depends on the actual organization as far as the duties you'll be responsible for.  Either way, good luck in your search!
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just to add something quickly. I don't know the difference between Helpdesk Technician and Desktop Support Technician. I've used those terms and more quite interchangeably over the decades.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
    I've always seen deskside as someone that comes to visit you, helpdesk tries to solve the problem over the phone. Some organizations combine them, larger ones often have separate teams. My personal opinion is that deskside is the next step up from helpdesk.
  • tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    with the likes of remote software I think in some cases they are now merged titles.
  • dspohnholtzdspohnholtz Registered Users Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Like EANx points out, location is a big factor. I started in IT as a desktop support supervisor and I was able to do it because I live near a military base that had a huge need for skilled labor (Disclaimer: I did technical intelligence work in the Navy prior to this). If you are near a military base, I would suggest pursuing a Security+ certification since it opens up a lot of doors on the DoD side of the house. 
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It is very much possible, in your case being at the right location could be your biggest help. I personally don't see much differences between them, and have used those terms interchangeably over the years.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
    Thank you all. Your advice will be absorb in the greatest thanks ya'll!
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In smaller companies the roles are combined.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IT_helper said:

So I just got my Comptia A+ recently. I have some questions.

Is it possible to skip Helpdesk technician and land a Desktop Support Technician role??

I want to apply only to Desktop Support Technician role.

What are my chances of landing a Desktop Support role with no experience?

Actually I been getting interviews with Recruiting firms like Robert Half and they have told me there are more openings for Desktop Technician and entry level Network Technician than for Helpdesk. They seemed to feel I would actually have an easier time getting hired in a role as an entry level Network Technician or Desktop Technician than at Helpdesk. Recruiters told me help desk phone support roles are not that many in my area, much harder to land, and would require relocating or a longer commute. So I told them ok I am open to Network Technician and Desktop Technician roles too. I probably will get some Cisco cert either CCENT or CCNA since I have had 3 different recruiters tell me they strongly recommend I pursue those certs.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula