Interview Tips

anushkasinhaanushkasinha Registered Users Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
What are rules must follow whenever we face interview?
Please give suggestion so this will helps in cracking the interview in very first attemp?

I am working as System Admin having an experience of 5+ yrs in hardware and networking field.Also work as a Career Counsellor.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Look presentable, be relaxed, look people in the eyes, a good handshake and ask alot of questions (bring a notebook).  
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited November 2018
    Firm handshake (wipe your hand off if you're sweating), look people in the eye, dress well, ask questions about the business, not just the IT. Especially in Europe and the U.S. but not just limited there, companies will have "press releases", read a few of the recent ones and ask a question or two about "does this new product X have any special IT requirements?"
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    All above advice, along with answering interview question with honesty. if you don't know the answer just say I don't know, or ask them to rephrase the interview question, since different organization use terminology differently.Don't forget to back up your answer with examples. Good luck!!
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    +1 on the just say "I don't know" if you don't know. On a telephone interview, do not try to Google if you don't know the answer to a question. The timing of your answer will start with not being able to answer the question to suddenly sounding as if you are reading a Wikipedia article. It's really obvious to the interviewer what you are doing, and it's perceived as being dishonest.

Either on the phone or in person, try to be confidant, act as though you are part of the interview panel and you are there to interview your interviewers. People who are very intimidated tend to act like they are being interrogated. It's enthusiasm and energy that interviewers are looking for, not shrinking violets. 

Also remember that the reason you are being hired is to fix your manager's problems. You can directly ask what problems need to be fix, or find out by asking what a typical day on the job it like.  Once you know what it is the manager needs help in doing, focus your answers on how you will make the manager's life easier. That is, after all, why you are being hired.
  • anushkasinhaanushkasinha Registered Users Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey all,
    Thank you for your valuable suggestion

I am working as System Admin having an experience of 5+ yrs in hardware and networking field.Also work as a Career Counsellor.

• pHumphreypHumphrey Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For a start, you probably won't pass the very first interview easily, regardless of your background on others' practice. You can be taught on how to act during the interview, but can't be taught how t understand what exactly you have to say to impress certain interviewer
  • pHumphreypHumphrey Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My point is, you do need just to attend that interview. You can pass it or fail it, but it will be your experience. The more you try, the better you become at it
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Others have said the obvious, but I'll add some more.

"Be the person you want to hire." Put yourself in the hiring manager's shoes and ask yourself if the tables were turned, you'd hire yourself for that role.

Don't forget, this isn't just you being interviewed. You're also seeing if this job is what you expected it would be, the company is one you'd like to work for for a while, and more importantly, you can see yourself working for that particularly manager and/or on the team if you get to meet them. I get it, though, we don't always have the luxury of being picky with jobs; sometimes we just need one and anyone who will give us a paycheck will work for the near future, but if you're in a position to turn down an offer, make sure you interview them back.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • anushkasinhaanushkasinha Registered Users Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all

• SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Look presentable, be relaxed, look people in the eyes, a good handshake and ask alot of questions (bring a notebook).  
    That never really got me anywhere...
    It comes down to personality and if they like you or not
    All the certs and experience in the world wont matter if they dont want you

(Have had some bad interview experiences lately, do what i can but still no job offer)
  • WarDoctorWarDoctor Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A lot of companies will format the core of the interview around situations. 

What they will do is ask for a particular situation, what action you took to achieve a certain goal, and what was the actual result of your actions
  • oliviazimmermanoliviazimmerman Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There's a trick I read about in some book. The interviewer sets an unrealistic goal and looks at your reaction. If you look confused, that's something. If you agree - that's bad. The best scenario is when you actually tell the interviewer that the task is impossible and suggest more realistic goals instead. It shows that you really know your business. I don't know how often do they use this, but the point is that you don't have to agree with everything. Show that you have a point to stand for. 
  • gurwinderkaurgurwinderkaur Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Confidence is the key to crack any interview in your life! Be Confident and you are good to go with it!