Video Teleconferencing Software

ecuisonecuison Member Posts: 131 ■■■■□□□□□□
Planning on putting on a couple of study groups and potentially a SSCP class for about 12 students or so.  Looking for recommendations that does a good job of Video/Audio/Screensharing.

With my budget of $0, I was thinking about standing up and hosting my own Discord server which I believe will do the job.  

Thoughts, suggestions?

TIA!
Accomplishments: B.S. - Business (Information Management) | CISSP | CCSP | TOGAF v9.2 Certified | Security + | Network +

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You may want to check out these options, which I believe all have free options - this is probably what I would use in order of preference if I was in your shoes:

Skype - https://www.skype.com/en/ (I think there's a limit of 10 participants for free though)

• ecuisonecuison Member Posts: 131 ■■■■□□□□□□
    paul78 said:
    You may want to check out these options, which I believe all have free options - this is probably what I would use in order of preference if I was in your shoes:

Skype - https://www.skype.com/en/ (I think there's a limit of 10 participants for free though)

Thanks for the suggestions.  I had Google Hangouts on my list initially, problem is that I have a multi monitor setup on Linux which doesn't allow to specify which screen to share and shares them all.
    Accomplishments: B.S. - Business (Information Management) | CISSP | CCSP | TOGAF v9.2 Certified | Security + | Network +
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I had Google Hangouts on my list initially, problem is that I have a multi monitor setup on Linux which doesn't allow to specify which screen to share and shares them all.
    Interesting. I never noticed that. I'm guessing you are loading Xinerama extension so maybe that's why.

If you are using Linux, I don't remember if all the new Skype linux client has all the same features.

I don't think that join.me supports Linux.

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    zoom.us is Linux friendly. I've haven't tested it multi-monitor, but it works great for sharing one desktop running in a VM while I have a zoom session in the hypervisor OS on another desktop. gotomeeting seems to work okay for Linux as well, but I haven't tested taking desktop control before.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • ecuisonecuison Member Posts: 131 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yoba222 said:
    zoom.us is Linux friendly. I've haven't tested it multi-monitor, but it works great for sharing one desktop running in a VM while I have a zoom session in the hypervisor OS on another desktop. gotomeeting seems to work okay for Linux as well, but I haven't tested taking desktop control before.
    I really like Zoom to be honest.  A couple of our vendor support uses it.  We didn't implement it for other business decided reasons.  Unforunately, I need more than 40mins for video.  I know, I'm asking a lot for $0.  Since I am not charging for the class, I need to use the last amount of resources as possible.  Still looking at Discord.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah that 40 minute session-hiccup thing is a tiny bit unprofessional in the end I suppose.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP