PenTest+ Resources

lewis2018lewis2018 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
Can anybody recommend a decent video course for this certification with plenty of hands on?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• cochi78cochi78 Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Linux Academy has a PenTest+ video prep course on their agenda for November 6th. If you got a Safaribooks account, there's also the "PenTest+ Crash Course" live webcast end of October and a Pearson book.
  • lewis2018lewis2018 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thank you ill check this out
  • KenobyteKenobyte Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you was also looking for resources on this im thinking i might attempt this rather then CEH
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jason Dion has a PenTest+ video course on Udemy that is pretty good.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

I think with the general decline in prestige of the CEH combined with the outrageous price courses like this will steal students away

Ill give udemy another look too, although last time I looked I was seriously disappointed with their MCSA offerings

I was also able to find these labs on comptias website, 10% off codes are also an easy find.

https://uk-store.comptia.org/the-official-comptia-pentest-logicallab-pt0-001-/p/PEN-001-STLB-2018

UPDATE

I have recently sat this exam and failed 730 out of 750 :(

Anyhow, so far up to now I was using the Jason Dion course supplemented with the Wiley book. IMO based on recent exam experience that combo did not provide enough knowledge to pass the exam. In fact I've requested a refund on the Jason Dion course in light of this.

I've been using the itpro.tv course as a fill in the blanks and I have to say the course is amazing and better yet its free! Honestly wished id started my learning using it.

If your looking for an awesome resource head there first. Two weeks until the retake fingers crossed! 

Dam looks like the itpro.tv course ended the free access for the course looks like a free trial for me
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    I took Jason's course and I'm planning on watching it again after reading the Sybex book. I personally feel he glossed over the scripting section and I will need a lot of preparation to be able to interpret bash or powershell scripts.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    The best resources for this exam are hands-on. Pentesting is an area where reading and watching all of the videos in the world will not help you. You need to be able to actually perform the attacks which in turn will help you understand them better as well. Look up Zaid Sabih on Udemy, I did his courses before starting the OSCP almost 2 years ago and they are worth thier weight in gold.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It looks like the ITPro.TV PenTest+ course is pretty good, but you'll need to do extra studying outside of the course to have the best chance to pass. Knowing how to write code (C, Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.), and not just read it, is a big help in understanding the material too.