MS-MIS or MBA

doobudoobu Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, curious about elevating my status in life. 

I've been rolling the idea around of an MBA vs a Masters in IS. Does anyone have any other input on how these degrees benefit you in the future? Growth would be best described as:

1. Leadership roles - stepping away from frontline support, leading and guiding. 
2. Promotion opportunities (not salary but, adding depth, projects, etc.)
3. Salary growth for the long-term. What would give the best return?

Being a leader in an organization, at a higher level, I know both of these have considerations for their case, but has anyone see/felt a difference in one over the other? The MBA is most certainly business focused, which my background is in accounting already. 

Comments

• PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you can't decide, you could always get an MBA with an IT concentration. lol
  • doobudoobu Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lol I thought about that, too. Why not have your cake and eat it to, eh?

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I have the same goals as you, and for leadership and stepping up, I went with an on campus part-time MBA. Get to the best (highest ranked) possible MBA you can get to, it'll pay off big time. 
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I went with both.  Although I have a ridiculous amount of student loan debt, I believe it was well worth it for me.  My current salary agreement is directly attributable to my education choices.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have an IT-related undergrad/background, I'd say go for the MBA. If you have a business-related undergrad/background, I'd say go for the MSIS.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP