Options

Career advice for 31 years old

mustafafekaikimustafafekaiki Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello guys
I am here to share and hopefully get some useful advice . My IT career journey started two years ago . I had some basic computer skills and experience with 4 years computer engineering degree  and lots of motivation to learn , so I decided to study for CCNA , after I passed the exam I thankfully got a job as an IT support . I have been working for two years , but I want to become a network admin / Engineer  . Honestly in my job I don't have a lot to do with networking , phones  or even server . It is basic IT support that I feel I am wasting my time . 

I don't want to stuck in this role fixing computer issues here and there , I am the only guy in the office , but the whole IT team in different location. That's why I feel discouraged , scared sometimes and less motivated to work alone with no help. I need some advice in order to help me draw a different vision for my career that could help me somehow to move up and hopefully get a better job . 

I am thinking to go back to school and get a degree or master degree , sometimes I say let me just take the certification path to develop my skills and get some experience .

I am a little confused . 

Thank you in advance for any advice or comment 

Comments

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited November 2018
    You have a degree, some certs and basic experience. So you have to either move laterally in your company (please make sure that your boss know of y our intent) or brush up your resume and hit some door. Consider relocating if required, location is important.

Finally, you can get more basic certs like A+, Network+, Security+, it could help you get into the door. If you started a masters, I would not tell them, you will be categorized for over-educated for the kind of jobs you are searching. 
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    now that you have a CCNA, have you tried to get a job in networking? tried applying?

start studying for CCNP and create a home lab, polish your CV and start applying. See what the market needs and build those skills! 

I don't recommend going back to school for a technical masters degree IF the goal is to be a network engineer/admin
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly for an entry level job 2 years seems to be a sweet spot when reading these forums. Brush up your resume and go look for a promotion. Now is all about selling yourself. Got a degree check. Got a certification check. Got experience check.

I would discourage going for a higher degree until you gain some confidence and have a specific goal in mind.
  • Options
    AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    What do you like to do? So many get into IT thinking "I want to fix computers and that is it." So they get their A+ and start doing just that. Some people are completely cool doing that. You have experience with the level 1 help desk stuff and have your CCNA, why not start branching out and applying for those entry level network admin positions. Experience is great. Certs back it up.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Start sending out resumes and see if you get any nibbles! Meanwhile, learn as much as you can!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would begin to look for a small IT company, like small MSP, the salary is not high like the big companies, however you will be able to put your hands on a lot of IT toys like servers, firewalls, Office 365, switches, etc, etc. The MSP do a lot of migrations and implementation, it is a good place to sharp your skills
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    mustafafekaikimustafafekaiki Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I THANK all of you for your supportive comments . This is so helpful guys . Thanks a lot