New site, first thoughts?

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc CISSP, CHFI, CEH, MCSA Server 2008, Project+, Security+ce, Server+, Network+, A+ King City, CAPosts: 624Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    Meggo said:
    Interesting! 

@PCTechLinc and @mzx380, does it matter to you if it's at the side of the post or at the top? There's something similar to what you are asking for up top (besides your avatar) that we can try to customize right now. 
    I found a posting of mine with the old interface using archive.org.  This is how I mean:

Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • paul78paul78 Posts: 3,016Member ■■■■■■■■■■
    Meggo said:
    Interesting! 

@PCTechLinc and @mzx380, does it matter to you if it's at the side of the post or at the top? There's something similar to what you are asking for up top (besides your avatar) that we can try to customize right now. 
    I found a posting of mine with the old interface using archive.org.  This is how I mean:

Yeah - I would echo what @PCTechLinc said. If someone is willing to share their profile - it makes it a lot easier to respond back with a comment - especially when people ask about job advice because knowing someone's general location helps with offering advice.
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick CISSP, CEH, CCNA, Sec+ Posts: 312Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    My first impression is I don't like the way it looks. Sorry to be negative, but it looks too plain. To me it looks like something that's trying too hard to be user friendly. I would rather see a little bit more edge to the design and more "high tech" looking. Your audience is tech savvy, but your site looks like a "how to repair my refrigerator" site. You could get more creative and mysterious, like not so many sharp angles,  and throw in some dark colors too, or different colors. I think it's rather boring. 
    And one more thing, the comments I get like, "promoted to apprentice", is kinda juvenile IMO. How about something cooler than that? Maybe you could make levels based on protocol number (just off the top of my head) or something more "techie". I suppose it depends on the audience you are trying to attract. 
  • kaijukaiju Posts: 402Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    edited December 2018
    @Meggo > There is dead space under the username so that would be a great place to add the mini-profile information.

Search bar definitely needs to be stickied because currently it can only be accessed from the main page.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Skyliinez92Skyliinez92 Level 99 Wizard Posts: 822Mod Mod
    And one more thing, the comments I get like, "promoted to apprentice", is kinda juvenile IMO. How about something cooler than that?
    I'm still a level 99 wizard.

I also agree with @PCTechLinc on this. I've had to get around this by putting my achieved certs into my signature, as opposed to having them listed in a side-profile. It would be nice to bring back this feature, whether it's on the side or in the top.
    Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson
  • SaSkillerSaSkiller OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH Posts: 337Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm just shocked ISI took over TE... Wow.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers CompTIA, EC-Council, ISACA, (ISC)², Microsoft USAPosts: 879Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    SaSkiller said:
    I'm just shocked ISI took over TE... Wow.
    I think it's been that way for a long time.  A while back I started noticing all the pop-up ads for Infosec Instittute anytime you loaded a CISSP/CISM/CEH thread, and the banner ads.
    edited November 2018
    And one more thing, the comments I get like, "promoted to apprentice", is kinda juvenile IMO. How about something cooler than that?
    I'm still a level 99 wizard.

lol. But you could be a level 443 Wizard......ok, you're right. Let's forget the levels. :smiley:

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 California Kid Posts: 2,801Mod Mod
    Meggo said:
    Interesting! 

I think besides the avatar would be great as well!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • draughtdraught Posts: 228Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having the mobile version be better is nice but right now my biggest issue is the desktop version of the site loses rough 1/4 of the screen on the right. There should be a toggle to open and close that  welcome area.

Example:

This is the current site notice that welcome column takes up a good chunk of space.

Instead it should be possible to close that right column and make it look like this below:

For readability on desktop PCs this change is very important. I'm hoping there some updates to the forum format soon. :)

• revboxrevbox CompTIA: A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CSA: CCSK 3.0 Little Rock, ARPosts: 90Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    My initial reaction was thinking I'm on the wrong webpage. It wasn't until I realized my login worked that I realized the site had been redesigned. I'm naturally adverse to change. I liked the old site look and it had the feel of a forum community. This...I don't know yet. It's the natural progression of things. I'm sure in time I'll adjust.
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 A+, Network+, Security+, Project+ USA, CAPosts: 146Registered Users ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have to say, that since the change, I have been on this site MORE than i ever have in the past. I am one (of the few?) who likes the change.
    Current:  A+ | Network+ | Project+ |Security+
    Working on: Cysa+
  • MeggoMeggo Administrator Posts: 190Admin Admin
    Thanks again for all the kind words and helpful criticism! We're working on another round of tweaks this week. Changes will be incremental -- looking forward to further feedback from the community. :)
    Director of Product Marketing at Infosec
    Who we are | What we do 
  • PC509PC509 CISSP, CEH, CCNA: Security/CyberOps, Sec+, CHFI, A+, Proj+, Server+, MCITP Win7, Vista, MCP Server 2 Oregon, USPosts: 772Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have to say, that since the change, I have been on this site MORE than i ever have in the past. I am one (of the few?) who likes the change.
    Same here. I've been here a lot more lately than in the past. I loved it before and I was here a lot, but it's definitely increased since the changes. I like the change, and it seems more people are engaging. At least it's more visible that people are doing more. :) 
  • pitviperpitviper CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT Posts: 1,376Member ■■■■■■■□□□
    edited December 2018
    @infosec_darren Any update on the darker theme?  Really dislike staring at a white page for more than 2 minutes.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Posts: 2,268Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    PC509 said:
    Same here. I've been here a lot more lately than in the past. I loved it before and I was here a lot, but it's definitely increased since the changes. I like the change, and it seems more people are engaging. At least it's more visible that people are doing more. :) 
    I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or not but I'm using it way less than before. Still too many clicks off the main page to get to where I want and it's less obvious when there are new posts. I went to the old site way more out of habit where I could load the main page quickly and see if there was anything new in the categories of interest. Now it's Categories, then scroll, scroll, scroll, then infosec certs, then look at the timestamps of each one, then back, etc. 
  • draughtdraught Posts: 228Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    pitviper said:
    @infosec_darren Any update on the darker theme?  Really dislike staring at a white page for more than 2 minutes.
    I found this extension this week : https://darkreader.org/ it allows darkmode on ANY site. It's been a great solution so far. I like my websites dark during the night hours so I really like this extension.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Certification Invigilator Surf City, USAPosts: 11,476Admin Admin
    draught said:
    I found this extension this week : https://darkreader.org/ it allows darkmode on ANY site. 
    Great find!  Individually configures each Web site too. The Chrome Web Store points to the same extension site.

DarkReader help file https://darkreader.org/help/en/

• UnixGuyUnixGuy SABSA, GCFA, GPEN, CISM, RHCE, Security+, Server+, eJPT, CCNA Posts: 4,049Mod Mod
    I'm trying to unsubscribe from this how thread....can't figure out how...help? :D
    Goal: MBA, Jan 2021
  • DZA_DZA_ Untitled. Posts: 394Member ■■■■■□□□□□
     UnixGuy said:
    I'm trying to unsubscribe from this how thread....can't figure out how...help? :D
    See for similar response: https://community.infosecinstitute.com/discussion/134334/removing-notifications-for-specific-discussion#latest
    @Danielm7 have you tried this view: https://community.infosecinstitute.com/discussions

Or using the discussion bookmark and category follow features? This is how I keep an eye on categories and discussions that are of interest to me (like this one). You can bookmark discussions using the star icon next to the thread, and then find your bookmarks in the sidebar. You can follow categories by checking the follow box at the top of the page of each category.

More on that here: https://docs.vanillaforums.com/help/forum-settings/categories/#category-following

Hope this improves your UX. :)
    Who we are | What we do 
  • Skyliinez92Skyliinez92 Level 99 Wizard Posts: 822Mod Mod
    +1 on that DarkReader extension. 
    Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson
  • PseudonymousPseudonymous Ninja Posts: 78Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    draught said:
    pitviper said:
    I found this extension this week : https://darkreader.org/ it allows darkmode on ANY site. It's been a great solution so far. I like my websites dark during the night hours so I really like this extension.
    I've never heard of it before, but I tried it and I like it. Thanks! This definitely helps.
    Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.
    Meggo said:
    @Danielm7 have you tried this view: https://community.infosecinstitute.com/discussions

Or using the discussion bookmark and category follow features? This is how I keep an eye on categories and discussions that are of interest to me (like this one). You can bookmark discussions using the star icon next to the thread, and then find your bookmarks in the sidebar. You can follow categories by checking the follow box at the top of the page of each category.

More on that here: https://docs.vanillaforums.com/help/forum-settings/categories/#category-following

Hope this improves your UX. :)
    Reading the settings info I see this:

Once clicked, it will change to “Following”. You can click it again to unfollow the category.

Category Following - Following Button

This feature also adds a filter to the /categories page.

I normally use the /categories page, even from there it's too much searching. The option to only view followed categories would be great but I don't see that option in my settings?

Me either. I think that's why we missed it before. I sent in a ticket to my Vanilla rep to see what's up with the feature and how we can get this working for you. I'll ping you back when it's resolved. :)
    Who we are | What we do 
    Perfect, thank you. That was my gripe earlier in the thread, most of the categories aren't ones I'm interested in so trying to look past all of them makes it less likely that i'll visit as often. If I can consolidate the ones I'm interested in and see them all on one page that would be great. 
  • c5rookiec5rookie CISSP, CCNA CyberOps/Wireless, GCED, GCIA, GCIH, GCUX, GCWN, GPEN, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, U.S.Posts: 35Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Meggo Thank you and the team for listening to us and making the search bar available on each page! The site is slowly coming back around. Now you just need to get the phase "techexams" back in the url somehow.
  • chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Senior Member Posts: 518Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looking good, starting to like it again :-)
  • LonerVampLonerVamp OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, CCNA Cyber Ops, Sec+, Linux+, AWS CCP, CCSK Posts: 396Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thumbs up here on today's gentle facelift.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, CCNA Cyber Ops, Sec+, Linux+, AWS CCP, CCSK
    2019 goals: GWAPT, Linux+, (possible: SLAE, CCSK, AWS SA-A)
This discussion has been closed.