The Death of TE

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
So not to be too dramatic, but I just logged in for the first time in a week or two, obviously there has been some kind of change here, and I get it. But I have to question the wisdom of changing the entire interace, especially since it seems to be a worse experience and isn't even plugging any advertising, it seems the new guard has changed it for the sake of letting everyone know "something happened", but if the change hasn't brought any value to the members, or the owners, then WTF is the point? I for one after 15 years am looking for a new home. I get that things change, but this is one hell of a ham handed change that I fail to see the value in.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It's the same great content, just a little brighter and fluffier. Today, more Web sites look like the new TE than the old TE. In fact, if you insisted on only using circa 2000-style Websites, you'd be using hardly any Websites at all. That being said, there's no harm in requesting a user-settable feature that sets the color scheme to "battleship gray."
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    It's the same great content, just a little brighter and fluffier. Today, more Web sites look like the new TE than the old TE. In fact, if you insisted on only using circa 2000-style Websites, you'd be using hardly any Websites at all. That being said, there's no harm in requesting a user-settable feature that sets the color scheme to "battleship gray."
    JDMurray, I have more respect for you than anyone else here, its not about the colors, it about the experience, and the site has become harder to navigate, which from a business perspective I could almost understand if I saw a means to an end in the way of advertising or monetizing the site, but I don't see that, I see decreased experience for no other purpose than to stick it in the face of the members that there is a new regime in town. So yea mate it's deeper than the color scheme, the new leadership IMO has gotten this wrong IMO.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is an evolving process. Your input is vaulable, which is rare for forums and web design these days. 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    edited November 2018
    chrisone said:
    This is an evolving process. Your input is vaulable, which is rare for forums and web design these days. 
    The users are the product here or on any social media platform IMO, where do I go to find discussions about MS certs? InfoSec certs? Storage & Virtualization?, it seems its easier to find the "for sale" section than to find the place to discuss penetration testing. You won't build a following off "for sale" here, now a days we have Amazon, Ebay, and a thousand other places to buy things. I can't find the place where I should discuss CCIE, VCDX, or OSCP in under three clicks. That's a bad bad mistake. Just the two cents of a lowely user who has been coming here regularly since 2003.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's an adjustment for sure, but I don't see how it is much different or harder to use than the old UI.

This is more like going from Win2k to Win10 than going from Win7 to Win8. But that's my opinion.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    chrisone said:
    The users are the product here or on any social media platform IMO, where do I go to find discussions about MS certs? InfoSec certs? Storage & Virtualization?, it seems its easier to find the "for sale" section than to find the place to discuss penetration testing. You won't build a following off "for sale" here, now a days we have Amazon, Ebay, and a thousand other places to buy things. I can't find the place where I should discuss CCIE, VCDX, or OSCP in under three clicks. That's a bad bad mistake. Just the two cents of a lowely user who has been coming here regularly since 2003.
    And this is my point. The new management is listening lol They already made several changes from various user inputs. That is what I am trying to tell you, your input is valuable. 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    It's an adjustment for sure, but I don't see how it is much different or harder to use than the old UI.

This is more like going from Win2k to Win10 than going from Win7 to Win8. But that's my opinion.
    Well you do realize that in your analogy you skip, WindowsMe, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and go straight to Windows 10? Adjustment or not, I don't see people sticking around if you make meaningful content harder to find. The site has existed for years with limited advertisement, I realize that is subject to change, but if you make that content harder to find at the same time increasing advertisement, I don't think you are going to fare very well. At the end of the day I am just one guy, but, good luck to that business model, I guess?
    edited November 2018
    chrisone said:
    chrisone said:
    And this is my point. The new management is listening lol They already made several changes from various user inputs. That is what I am trying to tell you, your input is valuable. 
    chrisone said:
    chrisone said:
    I'll keep my mind open, but I come here for content and right now that has been dealt a death blow. I'll see you next week? Front page mate, its not a concept its an actual thing.
    Yes, I fully realize that I skipped many of those horrible versions of Windows. 
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The new interface does take some time to get used to. It's not so bad that I'd ever want to cancel my account. The content is as good as ever. However, the biggest improvement for me and a lot of others is the move to HTTPS. The old site used HTTP.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree Ted, it is taking some time getting used to the interface.   I feel I have to scroll even more on the new site, but it is definitely better for the 40+yo as far as viewing the content.  LOL!  The old TE had its simplistic features, but some of those settings were off the wall too.  Eventually, I am sure it will get better over time.  CHEERS & Hi5!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    The content is still here. You can still access support for exams and training just like you did with the old version. It's just a new design, and the admins are listening to our feedback and will hopefully work on a few features. 

By all means, offer your advice, but if people are going to throw their toys out of the pram on the first day and decide to leave without offering creative feedback and patience, then it sounds like you had no respect for the site to begin with.
    I'm sure your right, I'm the issue here, thanks...
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's all valuable input. I'm not particularly happy either, and not because it's a change. But I'm willing to let things settle down a bit and give the owners a chance to respond to user issues. And I think that's key.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's this Tech Exams I keep hearing about? If you look at the webpage address at the top, this is the Community.infosecinstitute.com, long live Info Sec Institute. :p   
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^^  HA!  ^^
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    edited November 2018
    a tad bit dramatic about the 'death of TE'. :-\
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    LOL, it's kinda humorous, but they could solve this problem my creating a techexams.infosecinstitute.com alias.  But I have a feeling that these guys would still find something to complain about.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't say I disagree all that much with @slinuxuzer

I think if they are listening to the feedback and make the necessary adjustments, the site will be fine.  However, bad site or good site, old site or new site, the community of people has always been the best thing about TE. That hasn't changed, so I think you and others should stick around
    triplea said:
    just opened my eyes lol
    If I wanted to search I'd use google, and if I wanted Snark I'd go to Twitter or Reddit.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I still can't believe in 2018 almost 2019 people are reviewing the web hunched over on a desktop/laptop and not on a mobile device or tablet.  Strange......

The new format is REALLY good on a mobile device which IMO is the smart way to go.  It would be interesting if they used Google analytics to see what percentage of users were on a desktop/laptop vs mobile....
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    edited December 2018

I still can't believe in 2018 almost 2019 people are reviewing the web hunched over on a desktop/laptop and not on a mobile device or tablet.  Strange......

The new format is REALLY good on a mobile device which IMO is the smart way to go.  It would be interesting if they used Google analytics to see what percentage of users were on a desktop/laptop vs mobile....
    I realize many people are die-hard mobile junkies who think the desktop computer has outlived its usefulness. I, like many other people, rarely look at TE or any other forum from a mobile device. And if I do, I will use the "desktop" view on the mobile browser. The desktop environment is FAR from being dead so I can definitely see a need for TE to support both desktop and mobile browser environments. Like so many other sites, TE needs to be setup so that it automatically adjust to a user's browsing environment. 

From my own personal experience, browser viewing on a tablet with a 8.0~13" screen is more enjoyable when using the mobile browser's desktop view mode. I actually do this on my Nexus 6 electronic leash if I decide to do some browsing. For me, my mobile devices are convenience items while my personal/work desktops and laptops are utilized 75% of the time.   

Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□

Why would I sit in front of my 27" monitor and pull out my phone to check a few online forums? I tried it on the phone and it's not that bad but I read Tech Exams on my coffee break not at a coffee house. I still say the screen is to bright. One of the things that was great about the old site was it was easy on your eyes. Overall I am getting use to the new site but like many I enjoyed the old site where I went only for the community and not the flashy interface.

Many people question how this site is making a profit. I am sure it allows them to drive traffic and improve ratings on sites like Google. Old members are not going to suddenly start using Infosec but new members might.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□

People use technology in different ways. Assuming there is one best way is a really good way to provide poor solutions.
  • PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    tedjames said:
    The new interface does take some time to get used to. It's not so bad that I'd ever want to cancel my account. The content is as good as ever. However, the biggest improvement for me and a lot of others is the move to HTTPS. The old site used HTTP.
    Agreed. Although I honestly didn't like the name TechExams either. I actually found myself switching away from the website when people walked by because I didn't want them thinking TechExams was a brain **** site. It wasn't really a good name to begin with, but even though I prefer the old look of the forums, I'll take this with HTTPS over the old style any day. It just takes a while to get used to.

So not to be too dramatic
    You titled the thread THE DEATH OF TE. Yup... that's pretty dramatic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm just going to assume you are joking.

Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.
  • c5rookiec5rookie Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    triplea said:
    am I missing the search function somewhere?
    Having to go to the home page every time to search is a pain.  Why do we have so many first world problems??   :)
    c5rookie said:
    triplea said:
    am I missing the search function somewhere?
    Having to go to the home page every time to search is a pain.  Why do we have so many first world problems??   :)
    Yeah a search box in the sidebar would be useful.
    Maybe you missed the thread because you were too busy dying.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, they asked for input before the change. They asked for ideas for new forums. They asked for input after the change. And they have taken it all into consideration and are implementing the users ideas and suggestions (if possible). The support from the admins has been amazing compared to many other forums. They'll answer you if you ask a question, they interact, they want this forum to remain a great one. 

Death of TE? Nah. Yea, it needs some changes. But, give input and they work on it. At first I hated it. They made a few changes and it's getting better. It's still a work in progress, but it's coming along nicely. 
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the "Death of TE" is way overdramatic, but I'll agree that my feeling when I browse this site is no longer about a community or forum system, but a somewhat chunky blog comment system without the blog with some weird choices. Popular Categories? Why does that have to be there to take up space? Who's Online? Who honestly really cares about that, especially when you don't even see many until the +45 Guests "more" link.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
This discussion has been closed.