Dollar amount you personallly put on WFH

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Assuming the position is a 100% remote, how much $ do you put on it?

For me I was thinking ~ 10,000. In others words a 100,000 WFH would supersede 110,000 in the office. The idea of not having to see people is 5k alone, maybe more to be honest.

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Right now I would love that, as my daily commute is 65 miles each way. My poor car hates me. :D

For me it's worth about $500/mo.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□

For me I was thinking ~ 10,000. In others words a 100,000 WFH would supersede 110,000 in the office. The idea of not having to see people is 5k alone, maybe more to be honest.

On paper, a one hour commute is probably worth about $20k a year @ $45 per hour. Add in wear and tear on your car if you drive plus gas, tolls and parking. Sheer convenience factor alone is probable $10k.

If you have a guaranteed desk, your golden. Last thing you want is the day you or everyone has to go into the office is to walk around like a lost pup because there are no desks.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hah - I was just thinking about this today.

Besides the commuting expenses, don't forget the other savings like: not eating out for lunch, not needing nice clothes all the time, and hygiene is mostly optional icon_lol.gif

If you include flex hours with wfh, I think it becomes invaluable. I gave up a highly compensated corporate job so I can work when I want and where I want. I know not everyone can afford to do it but the older that I get, the more I cherish time with family and friends.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh easily 10K for a 100% WFH trade-off. Just this morning I did someone's review who got a raise and they said the fact that they are now 50%+ WFH is as big as a raise they expected.

I think if my company culture was different 100% would make more sense, as I can do 100% of my job remotely, but right now I'm at min 40% a week and flexible with the other days and times as I need it and even that is extremely valuable to me and keeps me from searching for new jobs as often.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmmmm it's worth my current salary. Meaning, if I can get a new job that's 100% remote, I'd accept for my current salary. If I had to lose 10k, I'd stay going to the office. If the job offer was 100% remote with my current salary OR my current salary + 10K to be onsite, I'd choose 100% remote
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For me I put a high value on it. Somewhere in the 35k or so neighborhood. Here is why: I live in Dallas min commute from the burb where I am is about 3 hrs roundtrip to downtown where a lot of the jobs for tech are. Then I would need a second car and all the expense with it. Plus I have to arrange child care and totally lose flex scheduling which is huge I have a daughter who is autistic and I would miss every appointment for her. I also get to see my other daughter before school and walk her to school and home at night. Her school is in our neighborhood. Then there is the factor of having to deal with extra hours at work sitting in an office. Now I have no extra hours unless necessary then they just let me flex when I work a lot of extra hours. Even then at least I am home and when I am done don't have to hop in a car. Yep unless someone has big pocket I am staying put
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Based on my current salary I peg it at around $30k, meaning I'd take a job paying $30k less to keep it. I have zero desire to work 9-5 in an office full-time. The max would be 3 days a week. But honestly my desire and other component for me is not just WFH, but to be back in a deliverable based position where I can work when, where and how I want as long as my deliverables are met. I REALLY miss that from my last job and would gladly take another WFH with that type of setup as long as it was $100k at least. So for that I would put the value at $50k. That's the single thing I hate the most about my current job. I have zero autonomy over my schedule.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Based on my current salary I peg it at around $30k, meaning I'd take a job paying $30k less to keep it. I have zero desire to work 9-5 in an office full-time. The max would be 3 days a week. But honestly my desire and other component for me is not just WFH, but to be back in a deliverable based position where I can work when, where and how I want as long as my deliverables are met. I REALLY miss that from my last job and would gladly take another WFH with that type of setup as long as it was $100k at least. So for that I would put the value at $50k. That's the single thing I hate the most about my current job. I have zero autonomy over my schedule.

Damn, you need to start looking for another gig.

I am in the office 100% of the time. This gig based out of San Fran is ~10 k less but 100% remote. Full prayer mode I gotta get this.......

Thanks for the feedback!
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I actually view 100% WFH as a downside.

I'm an extrovert, live alone, and find online communication isn't as good as real-life communication.

That said, I really enjoy 1-2 days WFH with no strings attached. Probably worth about 5-10k to me.

I do, however, put a lot more value on flexible hours. I can't even begin to get up before 9-9:30 or so. There's no way I'm making an 8 AM start unless my other option is to literally starve.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□

Negative $100,000, I hate working from home, too many distractions, no human interaction. it's nice to have that flexibility when you have a plumber coming over to fix something, so you don't have to burn a days vacation or sick time, otherwise I rather just come to work.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • cs8400cs8400 Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am 100% work from home. The downside to it is the lack of social interaction. The upside is most days I work in shorts and a t-shirt :)... and if I need to step out for a while, I step out. I'd take a 20k pay cut to keep it.... but dont tell my boss that :):)
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm an introvert and have some social anxiety. In theory working from home be would the best thing ever. I'd worry though I'd turn into too much of a recluse if I never had to leave except for groceries.

Working from home 2 days maybe 3 sometimes would be my ideal though. Still let's you enjoy working from home but you still have to go to work and socialize with people which is healthy for us all.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't think I can put a dollar amount on it. Obviously I've saved money on transportation costs, but the time spent went family is invaluable. I was a permanent remote worker at the time my first son was born so I got plenty of quality time in. I've always worked from home whenever my boys have been sick or were out of school which enabled me to keep my PTO for an actual vacation. It also allows me to take them to school and pick them up. It's really nice when my day ends and I'm already home to begin my husband/father duties.

I do like going to the office for social interaction plus I have lots of meetings and I find face-to-face more effective than calls, emails, and messaging for some topics. But when I don't have meetings I prefer to be home because I get more work done when I'm alone.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    A lot of vendors, VARs, and pre-sales jobs are WFH without any sort of paycut and tend to pay higher than industry average. It all depends on the job you're working. I refuse to take a paycut for WFH. By all studies out there, they save on insurance, office costs, and they'll get more productivity out of me in a day and I'm happy to bring this up in any potential interview that I'm saving them money by working from home so a salary cut is off the table.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the people who do work from home how do you find your salary compared to your local market?

Do most companies try to pay you lower?

If your working for a company out of a big city, let’s say Toronto, and you live in a small city , let’s say Windsor, do you find they are paying you the same as someone located in Toronto (big city)?
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Last time I did the calcultion I had used the same 10k number. These days, I'm making more, so would value it more.

In regards to your question, IronmanX, my current employer adjusts salary by market, no concern to WFH or not. So I'm not losing anything to work from home (I'd applied for other jobs at same pay grade that were in office for this company, and the salary was basically identical).

As an introvert (other than outlets like TE), I find WFH to be great. I converted to WFH prior to birth of my first child, and found that I was a LOT more productive, as used to spend ~3 hours in car/train to get to and from work. I'd work on the train, so wouldn't spend full 8 hours in office, but still, avoiding the hassle and stress of a morning commute allows me to be much more productive during the day.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I still don't understand where you all find these WFH jobs lol. Other than the types that Iris mentioned. Although all of the VARs that I've had job offers from were onsite positions unless at a client.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MitM wrote: »
    I still don't understand where you all find these WFH jobs lol. Other than the types that Iris mentioned. Although all of the VARs that I've had job offers from were onsite positions unless at a client.

It all depends on the company and role but there are definitely fully remote jobs out there. I don't work with VARs so I can't comment there but in my experience, I usually see lots of remote jobs in tech companies.With one of the companies that I do some work for - nearly 70% of the staff is remote. Now that I think about it, I've never actually ever met anyone at the company. I also come across software engineering teams where there's a high percentage of remote workers. The other role is devops for companies which use cloud infrastructure. Tech consulting companies - I would imagine has a lot of remote workers - especially smaller boutique firms.
  • msbacemsbace Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd value it probably at 100% of salary...because wfh is the only way i could handle a job like that. 
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IronmanX said:
    For the people who do work from home how do you find your salary compared to your local market?

Do most companies try to pay you lower?

If your working for a company out of a big city, let’s say Toronto, and you live in a small city , let’s say Windsor, do you find they are paying you the same as someone located in Toronto (big city)?

In my case, I've worked for two companies headquarted in Silicon Valley (previous and current employer). Both instances, I've been able to keep the Silicon Valley salary while working remotely here in Central Florida, which is a LCOL area.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
    edited December 2018
    Just accepted a 100% WFH position, full stack BI, primary focus on front end development.  Same pay (some of you encouraged me to hold my ground on that, base is the same) no bonus however.....   Company is based out of San Fran, still residing in the midwest with end game landing in Jacksonville FL.  
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the new job that's awesome. 
    I'll be putting my notice in today....   Just after lunch and my meetings.
  • Jeff_PetersJeff_Peters Admin Posts: 14 Admin
    edited December 2018
    I worked for home for 5+ years, and it was a mixed bag. On the one hand I didn't have to pay Baltimore/D.C. rent and could live in the Midwest, but I did slowly deteriorate into madness like Jack Torrance (lots of talking to myself and laughing at my own jokes) — and if you're not STRICT about separating work time from home time, a flexible schedule can make it feel like you always should be working. 

@DatabaseHead I lived in Jacksonville for a few years. If you make there, have a drink on the beach for me!
    Product Marketing Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
    Two weeks have been submitted.  Had a great convo and burned zero bridges.  
  • Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Two weeks have been submitted.  Had a great convo and burned zero bridges.  
    Congrats bud ! 
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD